GRAMMY Awards 2012

The Pagemeister

It was expected, when a famous singer or musician passes away interest in their music always spikes pretty high.

Apple though really was shameless in what they did with Houston's best off collection at their ITunes store............oh and record companies suck too for that matter.

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/a365322/whitney-houston-death-apple-accused-of-cashing-in-with-lp-price-boost.html?visibilityoverride

I'm not an Adele fan but because so many people who's taste in music I trust are fans I gave her a listen recently. It's not really my thing but at the same time I really don't see what's supposedly so godawful about her. I've definitely heard much, much worse.

I'm not an Adele fan but because so many people who's taste in music I trust are fans I gave her a listen recently. It's not really my thing but at the same time I really don't see what's supposedly so godawful about her. I've definitely heard much, much worse.

Never said she was - just nothing as special as people are making her out to be. Sounds like a lounge singer to me. She's not bad, but as I said she's "flavor of the month" when it comes to the Grammys. Anyone could see it coming from a mile away. Just look where she was seated, front row center. Let's watch her career unfold, see if she has any staying power....

Overall, i thought the Grammy's did a good respectable job in how they handled the death of WH considering the timing and i thought Jennifer Hudson's performance while not a brillant vocal but under the circumstances was a very admirable comendable one.

One thing i cannot understand with the Grammy producers is how in the hell they can have that trainwreck Rhianna perform after last years mess. She is horrible. The Grammys is suppose to stand for excellence in music. This chick cant even lip sync.

One thing i found pretty comical was Bruce Springsteen. I mean nearly his whole band and himself uses their instruments as props rather then play them. Then when he went on stage to jam with Sir Paul, he sounded like someone who never played guitar before. Couldnt pull 1 lick off.

Foo Fighters to me are so overated. I dont see where they deserve the acclaim that they get. They beat out Jeff Beck. I mean really.... Beck has more talent in his pinky then that whole band put together and his album should have been recognized!!!

Wake Up Grammys! The quality of music you are recognizing as excellance is a joke! Every year is a clean sweep by 1 artist. BORING!!! Just to show i am not biased, even though i like Robert Plant and Allison Krauss's Raising Sand, i didnt think they deserved a clean sweep either.

You should thank your lucky stars for Sir Paul, Jennifer Hudson, Beach Boys and Tony B/Carrie Underwood who saved your ass last nigh with their performces bcz the awards themselves suckedt!!!

I thought Sir Paul was looking a bit like Mrs. Doubtfire! First time I thought he looked his age. I haven't watched his performance as of yet....looking forward to watching the Foos - love Dave Grohl, Pat Smear, Taylor Hawkins and the boys. Bring back the Vultures!!!!

My thoughts:

Bruno Mars -- He is no Prince.

Adele -- I like 1970's Bonnie Raitt voice better than Adele's voice.

McCartney's Valentine song - I like it ! :) However I found the the wisecrack from the performer appearing just afterward to be mis-placed.... "I think that guy from Liverpool has a chance"... I mean, who are you to make such a statement. Dude, you don't even have the cred to make such a remark, imo.

Best Rock Song nominations and awards -- None worthy, some not even "Rock"...

That said, two big NY Giants football players to present the "Best Rock Song" award. I didn't get that. When I think of "Rock" music, somehow I never think of Football Players.... (I guess next year we can expect to see Blake Shelton presenting Best New Rap Artist, and 50 Cent will be presenting Best New Country artist... right ??? Ohhhh, I know, it's just much ado about nothing.... I will be quiet now about it ...)

Maroon Five -- worse than "Corporate Rock" --- they are "Corporate Business Park - Rock" :shake:

The Jennifer Hudson tribute to Whitney Houston -- I was unimpressed for most of Jennifer's performance, expecpt near the very end, where their was an emotional connection for me.

Chris Brown -- Why ? ? ?

Glenn Campbell -- The tribute guitarist -- when did the David Cassidy/Partridge Family hairstyle come back into style? Blake Shelton shined. Glenn -- "Rhinstone Cowboy" -- really ??? I would have much preferrred to hear "By The Time I Get To Phoenix". (I'm jaded here, because I can never hear Rhinstone Cowboy, without visualizing the Johnny Carson send up!)

Katy Perry -- Highlight of the show for me. But really, that female introducing Katy.... who wrote that ? "Here's Katy Perry, the girl who make fireworks come out her boobs!!" Was that necessary ???

McCartney multiple person guitar jam -- I liked the soloing enough, but really, in 2012, with the entertainment world "A" team mixing the show, they can't mike up each guitar at the right time ? ? ? ? ?

A dime a dozen soulful voice, IMO. Flavor of the month, she is.....

She will last longer than a month. Don't forget the Olympics are in London. They'll prop her up every chance they get. Then she will be old news and the radio waves will be chock full of echo chambered young mavens who have no talent.

Never said she was - just nothing as special as people are making her out to be. Sounds like a lounge singer to me. She's not bad, but as I said she's "flavor of the month" when it comes to the Grammys. Anyone could see it coming from a mile away. Just look where she was seated, front row center. Let's watch her career unfold, see if she has any staying power....

I would say that about many that have come and gone over the years. They all get their moment of glory. Very few have the staying power. But that is not why they perform.

What's wrong with America in 2 minutes and 57 seconds.

So that's where Fred Durst has been...what a tool!

Still, I've gotta say as much as I love Bon Iver, it's a little strange watching a guy win Best New Artist in 2012 when I've been buying his music since 2008.

Still, I've gotta say as much as I love Bon Iver, it's a little strange watching a guy win Best New Artist in 2012 when I've been buying his music since 2008.

You may have already heard or read this explanation but in case you haven't, this is from Raleigh News & Observer music writer David Menconi's On the Beat blog:

I received a pretty detailed response about who does and does not qualify as a "new" artist in Grammyland from another industry pundit, former USA Today music editor Ken Barnes. I'm fascinated in wonky stuff like this, so I'm passing along the whole thing:

As a 25-year Grammy voter, I've watched the definition of a new artist "evolve" from super-strict (one prior guest appearance on someone else's album disqualified Whitney Houston from new-artist consideration in the '80s) to the current, almost-anything-goes guidelines.

It's basically a wording problem at this point; if the category were called "best emerging artist" or "breakthrough artist" or something like that, it wouldn't be such a communications problem. Basically what the Grammys try to do is establish whether, with a particular album, an artist has achieved a breakthrough to the general public. If Bon Iver was considered a critical/indie/minority-taste hit prior to this record, then the Grammys would declare them eligible. If the Academy felt a breakthrough had occurred with a previous record, based on sales, airplay, critical acclaim, buzz, mass acceptance, etc., then no.

With only rather generally worded guidelines, it's always dicey, and standards tend to waffle. So there's always one or two "new artists" that stick in journalists' craws, for good reason.

Edited by Jahfin

I poked my head into the living room during that Adele performance as much wife watches the Grammy's religiously. Two things really stuck with me about her, she's got a booming huge voice. The other thing that really stuck me is there were no gyrating dancers and other histronics present like just about any other pop diva has today to cover up the fact that the music sucks as bad as their vocal ability does. She just stood there with her band behind her and belted.

I don't personally think Adele is going to go away anytime soon, the young woman can sing.

Two things really stuck with me about her, she's got a booming huge voice. The other thing that really stuck me is there were no gyrating dancers and other histrionics present like just about any other pop diva has today to cover up the fact that the music sucks as bad as their vocal ability does. She just stood there with her band behind her and belted.

That's a pretty generic statement, dazed. Katy Perry, who also performed that night, has sung in a stripped down form (singing as she played acoustic guitar solo) on some shows I have caught and she has a booming voice also - she just happens to be a performer, singer and musician. Gaga's voice is just as good, and better IMO, than Adele's - listen to her duet with Tony Bennett that has recently been released as an example - but she is also a performer as well as a singer and musician (playing piano often to accompany her solo performances). So to put it the way you have, you just painted everyone into the same sh!t heap as say Britney Spears (who is the epitome of what you described).

Adele is on top right now, with a good voice - just hope her song writers keep giving her good stuff to write lyrics to and sing on...... Plus if she can keep her voice from blowing out when she attempts to do major tours.

I'll take a performer who can sing and play music over a singer who just stands there singing, everyday - I can hear one of those at a dinner theatre anytime here in town. Doesn't mean I'm right and you're wrong at all, just my preference.

To each his own.....

Stephen Marley won Best Reggae Album for Revelation Part 1: The Root of Life.

As well he should have. The minute I got this cd I was blown away by it and knew he had yet another Grammy on the way. I imagine people see the name "Marley" and assume he's a shoo-in because of the family name, but trust me: Stephen is the real deal! I think he's by far the most talented of Bob Marley's many talented offspring.

As well he should have. The minute I got this cd I was blown away by it and knew he had yet another Grammy on the way. I imagine people see the name "Marley" and assume he's a shoo-in because of the family name, but trust me: Stephen is the real deal! I think he's by far the most talented of Bob Marley's many talented offspring.

I'll have to check that one out....summer is on the way!!

:)

That's a pretty generic statement, dazed. Katy Perry, who also performed that night, has sung in a stripped down form (singing as she played acoustic guitar solo) on some shows I have caught and she has a booming voice also - she just happens to be a performer, singer and musician. Gaga's voice is just as good, and better IMO, than Adele's - listen to her duet with Tony Bennett that has recently been released as an example - but she is also a performer as well as a singer and musician (playing piano often to accompany her solo performances). So to put it the way you have, you just painted everyone into the same sh!t heap as say Britney Spears (who is the epitome of what you described).

Adele is on top right now, with a good voice - just hope her song writers keep giving her good stuff to write lyrics to and sing on...... Plus if she can keep her voice from blowing out when she attempts to do major tours.

I'll take a performer who can sing and play music over a singer who just stands there singing, everyday - I can hear one of those at a dinner theatre anytime here in town. Doesn't mean I'm right and you're wrong at all, just my preference.

To each his own.....

:goodpost:

I'll have to check that one out....summer is on the way!!

:)

Yes, do! It's a little hip-hop in a few places, but nothing ridiculous. It's practically all I listened to last summer! And part 2 is on the way sometime this year. Oh, and if you ever get a chance to see him, do it. I caught him last summer and it was a transcendent experience to say the least. The best show I've seen by any of Marley's kids - and I've seen all of them!!

To each his own.....

Yes, that's fine. To each their own.

My thoughts:

Katy Perry -- Highlight of the show for me. But really, that female introducing Katy.... who wrote that ? "Here's Katy Perry, the girl who make fireworks come out her boobs!!" Was that necessary ???

Yes it was necessary because that is what Katy Perry's whole gimmick is. The same goes for Lady Gaga, how talented and self assured can you be as an artist that you need a gimmick, neither of them is anywhere near as talented as Adele is.

Katy Perry is a bore and was yesterday's news before yesterday even arrived...she'll be forgotten in no time.

But while you may not like Lady GaGa's music or some of her attention-grabbing antics, I feel she has just as much talent as Adele. Maybe even more.

That is the conundrum of Lady GaGa...she has the voice and the instrumental chops to succeed without all the auto-tuning and disco circus she surrounds herself with. It'll be interesting to see how she matures as her career moves forward.

Madonna's best albums ("Like a Prayer", "Ray of Light") came later in her career after her pop ingenue phase. I think Lady GaGa has the same capability to get better as she gets older.

Edited by Strider

I haven't heard it but I agree about Stephen. I like some of what I've heard by Ziggy but a lot of it (especially his early material) is little more than "bubblegum" reggae. A few years back he did that album produced by Dave Matthews which was pretty much devoid of any reggae influence. Some people may have liked it but I didn't care for it at all. Stephen is definitely the real deal.

I haven't heard it but I agree about Stephen. I like some of what I've heard by Ziggy but a lot of it (especially his early material) is little more than "bubblegum" reggae. A few years back he did that album produced by Dave Matthews which was pretty much devoid of any reggae influence. Some people may have liked it but I didn't care for it at all. Stephen is definitely the real deal.

Haha, no bubblegum with Stephen. Iron Lion for sure!!