GRAMMY Awards 2012

The Pagemeister

I won't be watching as I have a Filmforum event to attend. I might catch some highlights on YouTube...I hear Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band are performing. Since the Big Man's death, I was somewhat surprised Bruce decided to carry on.

But really, with Whitney Houston's death, nobody is going to remember the winners...her death will overshadow the Grammys.

Well the fabled pre-grammy party went on last night without a hitch, and Houston's body hadn't even been removed from the hotel yet.

That's just too vile and corrupt for me, I don't watch the grammy awards anyway and this is just another reason not to.

Well the fabled pre-grammy party went on last night without a hitch, and Houston's body hadn't even been removed from the hotel yet.

That's just too vile and corrupt for me, I don't watch the grammy awards anyway and this is just another reason not to.

Whitney was supposed to sing at Clive's pre-Grammy bash last night. She caused a stir at the Beverly Hilton Hotel Thursday with her disheveled appearance and loopy behavior. Same old Whitney.

None of my friends here in LA even watch the Grammys anymore...we all gave up on them years ago. It was bad enough when Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Queen were ignored in the 70s. The final straw was Jethro Bore winning over Metallica for Best Metal Album in 1988.

It's nothing but a Clive Davis orgy.

I can go off on Clive Davis but this isn't the forum for that and I'd end up getting banned anyway.

I can't say I was ever a Whitney Houston fan but she could sing and it's such a pity to see what she devolved into. Once they can't make a fortune off of you they move onto the next "big thing".

Such a shame, really.

^^^YOU banned? I couldn't think of such a thing!

I liked the first two Whitney Houston albums...even went to see her in concert. There was no question about her voice and her talent. If only she (or Clive) could have picked better material for her. By the time of The Bodyguard, when she destroyed Dolly Parton's song with her overwrought performance...paving the way for Mariah and her melismatic clones...ihad pretty much moved on, as her material became more robotic and soulless.

By the way, I realized my earlier post may have come across as rude to the people here who still watch the Grammys. I have no problem with anyone watching the Grammys...it's fun to people-watch and take note of the fashions and there even may be a great performance or two.

One of the best Grammy moments of recent times was when the Foos, Elvis Costello and Bruce Springsteen joined forces for a Joe Strummer/Clash tribute. Their "London Calling" was SAVAGE!

But don't take the Grammys as validation for your favourite band...if you're a Foo Fighters fan and they lose tonight, it doesn't invalidate them or mean the end of the world.

Think of it this way...the Clash, Cramps and Replacements won zero Grammys, while the Starland Vocal Band, Debby Boone and the Captain & Tennille did.

I usually never even bother to watch the Grammys. The last time I watched was back in 1995. Those days, my folks were rather interested in this sort of stuff. Now, it's all changed. I can think of plenty of other ways to spend my time, but this year, it's rather different. I'm watching because I'm a proud Foo Fighters fan. I love the album "Wasting Light" and I can't help but tune in just to root for Dave and the boys! B) I do hope they win big tonight, but even if they don't, "Wasting Light" will always remain a kick ass album, no matter what! B)

I was just reading about Levon Helm winning a Grammy. The Allman Brothers Band are also receiving a Lifetime Achievement Award tonight. That's a couple strikes in their favor already. The sad part is that Levon's win was not broadcast. I'm not sure about the Allmans but my guess is, their presentation will also take place off the air.

I was just reading about Levon Helm winning a Grammy. The Allman Brothers Band are also receiving a Lifetime Achievement Award tonight. That's a couple strikes in their favor already. The sad part is that Levon's win was not broadcast. I'm not sure about the Allmans but my guess is, their presentation will also take place off the air.

http://www.grammy.com/videos/the-allman-brothers-accepting-lifetime-achievement-award-at-special-merit-awards

Phew! Got to see the Foo Fighters performing, in spite of the fact that the Grammys did not air here in NZ! Whatever any one might say, IMHO, they rocked with their performance of "Walk"! Good stuff! B)

Good to see the Foos winning categories like "Best Rock Album", "Best Rock Song" and "Best Hard Rock / Metal Performance". Very cool! B)

Edited to add : Congrats Adele! :)

Thanks for that. Not sure what happened but the last I read, Dickey Betts was supposed to appear with them to accept the award. Thank goodness Chuck Leavell mentioned him because Gregg, Jaimoe and Butch sure didn't.

In more positive Grammy news, Tinariwen won the Best World Music Album award for their Tassili record and Stephen Marley won Best Reggae Album for Revelation Part 1: The Root of Life.

Archived