July 27th or 28th 1973

joeboy

I can't decide. If i had a time machine only for 1 day which date would i prefer? Jimmy played very well on saturday the 28th with the best ever No Quarter. The 27th was very fast paced and pobably the best dazed and confused ever.

The Song Remains the Same and Rain Song were better on saturday the 28th. I also prefer Stairway to heaven ending on the 28th. But your right about Dazed and Confused tipping the scales. Also Whole Lotta Love better on the 27th.

Jimmy only used the best of the run in New York although I question him not using the second guitar solo in Celebration Day on the 29th in the new release. The Song Remains the Same from the 28th must be better than the 27th but there is not proof. Also The Rain Song on the 28th in my opinion is played almost flawlessly. Is their a better one? Vocally Robert is better many times on the 28th than the 27th.

• 1 year later...

I think the 28th was best mainly because of that "No Quarter". I don't listen to the 29th much. Even with The Song Remains The Same I never really gained appreciation for how Page assembled it until I found The Garden Tapes site. If I remember right, "Since I've Been Loving You" is the most Frankensteined track, jumping back and forth between the 29th and the 28th in the middle of verses and whatnot.

Just using those three performances Page put together a pretty good live album and film soundtrack. And I much prefer the 1976 original album over the new one, mainly because the new one butchered "No Quarter" to make it match the film :lol: But I appreciate how Jimmy Page took those shows and was able to lash together a sort of quasi sequel to How The West Was Won for the news TSRTS release.

The 28th has the best Rain Song everattachicon.gifJimmy the Rain song.jpeg

That still you posted is not from Madison Square. That was shot at Shepperton Studios in 1974. I'm such a know-it-all when it comes to this stuff. But yeah, the 28th has an amazing Rain Song.

Also in the new film SIBLY's a similar mix of the 27th and 29th. It's just cleaned up.

And wow, just as I'm typing this I finished The Rain Song for the new MSG DVD.

As for the 29th, SIBLY is great. The Celebration Day solo is much better than the one on the 28th, and Jimmy's OTHAFA solo takes you on a long and winding journey through his playing.

I also can't believe that nobody's mentioned the funky bit of No Quarter on the original album from the 27th.

Edited by ledzepfilm

This "Since I've been loving you" in the extra's at the end of the new DVD is what i'm talking about. I hate this hyper jumping from one shot to the next crap. This version is the 28th and not as good as the original movie (27th and 29th).

The Led Zeppelin DVD version of SIBLY is a mix of all three nights, with the 28th contributing one section before the last verse.

The TSRTS version of SIBLY is a mix of the 27th and 29th. The new version is quite similar but cleaned up.

Edited by ledzepfilm

The TSRTS version of SIBLY is a mix of the 27th and 29th. The new version is quite similar but cleaned up.

I was amazed at the amount of editing Page did on SIBLY compared to the other TSRTS tracks...why so much editing?

(I get the feeling it was due at least in part to what Zappa would undoubtedly call "Cocaine Decisions" but who knows :lol: )

I was amazed at the amount of editing Page did on SIBLY compared to the other TSRTS tracks...why so much editing?

(I get the feeling it was due at least in part to what Zappa would undoubtedly call "Cocaine Decisions" but who knows :lol: )

As well as the point that the original film version's editing is extremely poor.

• 5 months later...

I've just reviewed the 3 nights again and maybe the 27th still wins.

The 27th: Rock and Roll, Dazed and Confused, Since I've Been Loving You guitar solo, Whole Lotta love, Heartbreaker, most of Stairway to Heaven, and Misty Mountain Hop.

The 28th: TSRTS, The Rain Song, No Quarter, the end of "Stairway to Heaven", and Moby Dick (since only the 28th was used on the original album).

The 29th: Black Dog, some of "Since I've been Loving You", "Celebration Day" guitar solo, and the first 2 minutes of "Stairway to Heaven" (best mellotron version)

I'm only reviewing the ones available since the first night is lost up to half way through "The Rain Song". Since only Jimmy has the first part of the 27th I reason that when putting together the album he chose the best parts. Therefore if it's not the 28th or 29th then it has to be the 27th. The reason for this topic is to put together a puzzle of when Led Zeppelin peaked as a group which I believe was at MSG. Others believe it was on the 1973 European tour.