Jimmy At No. 3 In Latest Rolling Stones 'Greatest Guitarist' List

kenog

id say Page was better than Hendrix as he was an electric blues man but Jimmy explored all forms of stringed instruments and styles,therefore making him better than Clapton who may of pioneered a sound but post cream it was kinda same ol same ol until unplugged but that's my opinion, RS list a load of ol bollocks, they should only do them every 10 years,

These lists are so stupid. In the end it all comes down to personal taste.

obviously there are a few boys that made guitar history in the past and they will always be mentioned in these kind of discussions and that is a good thing.

But al that talk about Jimmy should be on 2 and gilmour on 8 is just a waste of energie. Much like this post :-)

No flames left in the fire for this one.....

Ted Nuge & Da Redneck Renegade's

Reminds me of a few washed up cover bands I've seen back in the day (that still play at kiddie festivals, etc)...Guess huntin season must be at a close...gotta make it somehow

Seems like a good performance to me, to bad he is a racist ass thou.

To a few comments above, Joe Walsh is a great player and very underrated. One of my all time favorites. I don't think he should be in the top ten though. This is one of those situations where there is nothing wrong with him but I just don't think he makes the cut because of how exceptional quite a few others were. Top 20? yes. Top 15? Very likely. Top 10? That may be a little too much. Personally the guy I am always disappointing to find is not in anyone's top 10, and usually not even in people's top 50, is Roy Buchanan.

Because other bands exist too. I love Led Zeppelin, but they can't be the absolute best at everything, all the time. There are and there have been, other supremely talented musicians making mjusic.

Ummm! Like who? :bubble: How have you been Electrophile?

I may be mistaken, but you never see Johnny Winter anywhere near these lists. The guy was an absolute madman on the gat in his heyday.

...and apparently still is, though it apparently takes him a little while to get warmed up these days. This coming from a review a friend shared with me of a show Johnny did recently in Morehead City, NC.

Ummm! Like who? :bubble: How have you been Electrophile?

And how have you been Rorer714? Talk about a blast from the past! Good to see you back on the range.

I may be mistaken, but you never see Johnny Winter anywhere near these lists. The guy was an absolute madman on the gat in his heyday.

Yes he was. I haven't seen him in 15 years or so, though.

I'm actually going to see Joe Walsh next month, pretty stoked for that. I think he just jump a few slots just based on the fact that he bequeathed unto Jimmy Page his beloved Number One 1959 Gibson Les Paul :)

That being said, I'm content with Jimmy being number 3. He'll always be number one to me, but as has been said Hendrix as numero uno is pretty much law, and Clapton is always going to be the original "God".

Walsh is a great guitar player very under rated imo.

I'm not questioning his greatness; I'm just saying that he has absolutely nothing to do with the top 10 or 20.

My comment on this list: it's much better than the previous version of it, but I can't understand how Young is ahead of Iommi :).

Edited by Taro

My comment on this list: it's much better than the previous version of it, but I can't understand how Young is ahead of Iommi :).

I'm cornfused. I thought Strider said it was the exact same list that was posted here before. They (as well as other publications) post so many that it's hard to keep up.

I'm cornfused. I thought Strider said it was the exact same list that was posted here before. They (as well as other publications) post so many that it's hard to keep up.

No confusion...it is the same poll. What Taro was referring to was the RS poll from 2003 that had Jimmy at #9.

I've been doing great Strider! Thanks for asking. How the heck have you been?

I can't complain. Getting older but none the worse for wear. Still flying my Zeppelin freak flag high.

Edited by Strider

^^^

Plaudits to you, the chase, for digging up that old RS poll...that is the one Taro was referring to. But I don't know what you did to your cut + paste code, but you night want to fix it so it is easier to read your post. It reads like scrambled eggs. ;)

Regarding the difference between the 2003 and 2011 polls: Apart from it being a craven attempt to generate controversy and page views, and an example of the paucity of imagination at Rolling Stone, the striking difference might be a result in a change of methodology.

I don't have the 2003 poll issue at hand, so I cannot say if it was a poll based on the editorial board or a vote taken amongst musicians or readers, or some combination of all three. The 2011 poll was however the result of a group of fellow guitarists...a poll of one's peers, one might say, and therefore, probably deserves more credence than a list drawn up by Jann Wenner and his acolytes.

It does show, that even fellow guitarists are wont to forget or underrate certain of your favourites...Roy Buchanan, for instance. So no guitarist poll will ever be perfect. It's the nature of the beast and folly trying to rank musicians anyway.

^^^ Plaudits to you, the chase, for digging up that old RS poll...that is the one Taro was referring to. But I don't know what you did to your cut + paste code, but you night want to fix it so it is easier to read your post. It reads like scrambled eggs. ;) Regarding the difference between the 2003 and 2011 polls: Apart from it being a craven attempt to generate controversy and page views, and an example of the paucity of imagination at Rolling Stone, the striking difference might be a result in a change of methodology. I don't have the 2003 poll issue at hand, so I cannot say if it was a poll based on the editorial board or a vote taken amongst musicians or readers, or some combination of all three. The 2011 poll was however the result of a group of fellow guitarists...a poll of one's peers, one might say, and therefore, probably deserves more credence than a list drawn up by Jann Wenner and his acolytes. It does show, that even fellow guitarists are wont to forget or underrate certain of your favourites...Roy Buchanan, for instance. So no guitarist poll will ever be perfect. It's the nature of the beast and folly trying to rank musicians anyway.

thanks i tried to download it from work.. and fix it...

i'll try again tonight..

Edited by the chase

These lists are WAY better in video form. It does kind of drive the opinion the Keith Richards does not belong in this group though.

I didn't recognize the song Pete Townsend was playing. What was it?

I didn't recognize the song Pete Townsend was playing. What was it?

Not sure...it appears to be from their Isle of Wight performance. Probably one of the jams they would get into on "Young Man's Blues" or "My Generation". I'd have to watch the concert video again.

But I find it laughable that RS would use this clip to represent Pete Townsend. Pete wasn't influential because of his solos, it was his rhythm work, his riffs, composition and his use of feedback and noise.

Strider's right, it's from IOW 70. The song is Water.

One of my favourite Who tracks, the version from Tanglewood in 1970 is awesome and blows away Isle of Wight imo. I agree with Strider though, Townshend revolutionised Rhythm guitar. Even though he played some great solos, his riffing and composition is what he is known for and why he is so revered. In saying that, he has played a lot more lead on the recent Who tours than he did during the 60s ad 70s. He is also, in my opinion one of the greatest showman rock music has ever seen.

Anyway, here's that version of Water I was talking about. Keith Moon is great on this also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onus3G2sNdc

Edited by tom kid