I met Jimmy twice last week in London

I just sent this to DavidZoso so I will cut and paste my story here...(with a few minor edits):

For about nine days, my husband, son and I stayed in a flat about a hundred yards from his London house in Holland Park. After we booked the flat, I realized he lived there but assumed that he would be out of town since it was right before the Olympics (we came home last Wednesday night) so I didn't expect to see him.

Anyway, my husband and son wanted to see the new Batman movie the day it opened and I wanted to check out Selfridge's, so we split up on the way home from visiting Abbey Road.

I was walking out of Holland Park and down Melbury Road toward our flat when I saw Jimmy walking straight towards me holding grocery bags. He was walking with a woman (I would have no way of knowing who she was). I started smiling at him when I figured out it was him and realized that he was smiling back. He had a very friendly and open energy. I turned left to go into my flat and looked over my shoulder to confirm that it was him and he was looking over his shoulder smiling back at me. Fabulous! I figured that would be it but to be honest, that was enough for me.

The second encounter was a few days later on Kensington High Street. I was walking home alone from lunch with a friend when I saw him about to cross the street with a friend. I turned around and called his name a few times. He didn't seem to hear me so I put my hand on his back and said, "Jimmy!". (Did I break protocol? My friends all laughed when I mentioned putting my hand on his back.) He turned around and said, "Oh, hi there!" like he was expecting me. I introduced myself, told him that I was leaving town and wanted to let him know that when I told my ten year old son that I had seen him a few days before, he was thrilled. Jimmy said, "Really?! Is that right?" so we talked about my son for a minute. He introduced me to his friend (Bruce) and then I told Jimmy I was a big fan and he got very animated and said "awwwww!!!" and gave me a big hug. He then put his hands on my shoulders and told me to take that hug and pass it along to my son. I told him I would and thanked him again and said goodbye. He said, "Be good, goodbye and god bless."

Isn't that so great? He was terrific and so, so friendly.

I just sent this to DavidZoso so I will cut and paste my story here...(with a few minor edits):

For about nine days, my husband, son and I stayed in a flat about a hundred yards from his London house in Holland Park. After we booked the flat, I realized he lived there but assumed that he would be out of town since it was right before the Olympics (we came home last Wednesday night) so I didn't expect to see him.

Anyway, my husband and son wanted to see the new Batman movie the day it opened and I wanted to check out Selfridge's, so we split up on the way home from visiting Abbey Road.

I was walking out of Holland Park and down Melbury Road toward our flat when I saw Jimmy walking straight towards me holding grocery bags. He was walking with a woman (I would have no way of knowing who she was). I started smiling at him when I figured out it was him and realized that he was smiling back. He had a very friendly and open energy. I turned left to go into my flat and looked over my shoulder to confirm that it was him and he was looking over his shoulder smiling back at me. Fabulous! I figured that would be it but to be honest, that was enough for me.

The second encounter was a few days later on Kensington High Street. I was walking home alone from lunch with a friend when I saw him about to cross the street with a friend. I turned around and called his name a few times. He didn't seem to hear me so I put my hand on his back and said, "Jimmy!". (Did I break protocol? My friends all laughed when I mentioned putting my hand on his back.) He turned around and said, "Oh, hi there!" like he was expecting me. I introduced myself, told him that I was leaving town and wanted to let him know that when I told my ten year old son that I had seen him a few days before, he was thrilled. Jimmy said, "Really?! Is that right?" so we talked about my son for a minute. He introduced me to his friend (Bruce) and then I told Jimmy I was a big fan and he got very animated and said "awwwww!!!" and gave me a big hug. He then put his hands on my shoulders and told me to take that hug and pass it along to my son. I told him I would and thanked him again and said goodbye. He said, "Be good, goodbye and god bless."

Isn't that so great? He was terrific and so, so friendly.

OH MY GOSH!! I AM SOO JEALOUS!! Where was that? I need to know exactly so that I can maybe meet him some day (: :yourock:

He's seems like a genuinely nice guy. Good to hear he treated you so well. :)

He was so nice and so open and just really normal. I'm glad that they were just random encounters and that I didnt say anything goofy or cry or giggle or talk too much. I just really appreciated the opportunity to let him know that I was a fan. The first time I saw him, he was very cute and kind of flirty but he was just delightful both times.

If I can figure it out, I will post a picture that my son took of me and my husband dancing in front of Jimmy's house at 5:30 am last Wednesday while waiting for our car to take us to Heathrow. My husband did the robot. I hope Jimmy was awake and caught our performance art.

OH MY GOSH!! I AM SOO JEALOUS!! Where was that? I need to know exactly so that I can maybe meet him some day (: :yourock:

I hope I'm replying correctly with the quotes and all. This was in a neighborhood called Kensington. The second time was on Kensington High Street, about 1/4 mile from his house.

Thanks! I'm kind of jealous of myself; I've relived both encounters many times, trust me. I don't have the breadth of Jimmy knowledge that most people here have but I've been a fan since I was 13. (I'm 45.)

I hope I'm replying correctly with the quotes and all. This was in a neighborhood called Kensington. The second time was on Kensington High Street, about 1/4 mile from his house.

Thanks! I'm kind of jealous of myself; I've relived both encounters many times, trust me. I don't have the breadth of Jimmy knowledge that most people here have but I've been a fan since I was 13. (I'm 45.)

That is a great story and detailed enough to picture the encounter personally. Thanks for posting this. I'm glad you had a chance to meet him and were able to give the news to the proper place.

It's too bad we have to go vacationing in Kensington to see Jimmy!

If I can figure it out, I will post a picture that my son took of me and my husband dancing in front of Jimmy's house at 5:30 am last Wednesday while waiting for our car to take us to Heathrow. My husband did the robot. I hope Jimmy was awake and caught our performance art.

That's great!

That is so wonderful! I'm so glad that you got to meet Jimmy and that he was so kind and gracious towards you. Honestly, the more personal stories I hear about Jimmy, the more I respect and admire him. He seems like a genuinely wonderful person. Now, if only I could have the good fortune to meet him.

:D

It's too bad we have to go vacationing in Kensington to see Jimmy!

That's great!

Save up your money and head to London! It's a great city and Kensington is one of the better neighborhoods. Holland Park is wonderful, too: a lovely Japanese garden, peacocks (that woke me up at 4:30 am every morning) and a wonderful opera at night. My son played on the playground every day. Kensington is a sweet location for exploring London but there are loads of lovely neighborhoods. We just got lucky this time.

The irony is that Robert has lived in a house about one mile from me here in Austin for about a year and I have never seen him. Probably 15 of my friends have run into him at the gas station or Office Max or West Elm or a coffee shop but I still haven't.

Save up your money and head to London! It's a great city and Kensington is one of the better neighborhoods. Holland Park is wonderful, too: a lovely Japanese garden, peacocks (that woke me up at 4:30 am every morning) and a wonderful opera at night. My son played on the playground every day. Kensington is a sweet location for exploring London but there are loads of lovely neighborhoods. We just got lucky this time.

The irony is that Robert has lived in a house about one mile from me here in Austin for about a year and I have never seen him. Probably 15 of my friends have run into him at the gas station or Office Max or West Elm or a coffee shop but I still haven't.

Ironically, I was asking in another thread which part of London one would travel to. Thanks for the info. I'd love to go, but I've been a bit put off going by myself as "It Might Get Lonely". Especially if I don't run into Jimmy! ;)

Any good music in his area? I assume he must live in a real ritzy part of town?

+ Concerning RP: That makes two of us. Haha!

Ironically, I was asking in another thread which part of London one would travel to. Thanks for the info. I'd love to go, but I've been a bit put off going by myself as "It Might Get Lonely". Especially if I don't run into Jimmy! ;)

Any good music in his area? I assume he must live in a real ritzy part of town?

+ Concerning RP: That makes two of us. Haha!

I didn't know about any hip music clubs (I assume that's what you mean) because our son was with us but for classical music, there was Opera Holland Park in our backyard and the Royal Albert Hall was about a mile away. And yes, Holland Park is very posh. Do you live in Austin? Holland Park is similar to Pemberton Heights.

I didn't know about any hip music clubs (I assume that's what you mean) because our son was with us but for classical music, there was Opera Holland Park in our backyard and the Royal Albert Hall was about a mile away. And yes, Holland Park is very posh. Do you live in Austin? Holland Park is similar to Pemberton Heights.

I actually adore classical music. But I did mean rock or blues clubs. ;)

RAH about a mile away? Surely there must be more music then.

lol, no I don't live in Austin. I just meant that I've never ran into RP while popping out of a Shell station for a pack of smokes!

Great story Kimbersays! You have more self control than I if I were lucky enough to meet him. I wouldn't know what to say!

Thanks! I'm surprised I didn't geek out too much. These situations always play out kind of quickly plus I have a very strong desire to NOT make a fool of myself so that kicked in and took over, thank goodness. You would probably handle it just fine!

My friends were all freaking out via email, telling me that I should have chased after him the first time (with the groceries) but that just isn't me. I'm not a person who can hover in front of someone's house all day, waiting for a sighting or autograph. Besides, I have a kid and we had lots to do and see. :-)

Meeting Jimmy was the perfect exclamation point on a lovely trip to London!

That is a great story and detailed enough to picture the encounter personally. Thanks for posting this. I'm glad you had a chance to meet him and were able to give the news to the proper place.

Thanks, TrollSlayer! I hope I don't forget the details anytime soon. It still feels so cool!!

Thanks, TrollSlayer! I hope I don't forget the details anytime soon. It still feels so cool!!

Well, I wouldn't guess that you'll ever forget those details. At least I hope you don't. And if so, they're here for display......

After reading your story, I thought to myself - You must be pretty cute or Jimmy just wanted to see where you were headed, for him to look back at you over his shoulder-

If that isn't cool to see him looking back at you, huh? Like a movie.........

And to also run into him twice! Your a lucky girl.

Archived