Jimmy to lend art to Tate Britain Pre-Raphaelite exhibition

This detailed article about the forthcoming Pre-Raphaelite exhibition at Tate Britain in London contains a very brief reference to Jimmy :

"In the next few days, The Lady of Shalott will depart this house for Tate Britain, where she is to appear in the gallery's autumn blockbuster, Pre-Raphaelites: Victorian Avant-Garde. There, it will join works owned by, among others, Jimmy Page and Andrew Lloyd Webber. "

Unfortunately that's all it says, but the exhibition really is a blockbuster event so doubtless we will hear more in due course...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/aug/19/pre-raphaelites-avant-garde-tate-britain

Aen27 and Miss Melanie, thanks for your comments and I'm sorry you can't go (though it's a very long term show which will tour to the US so who knows?).

I was already looking forward to it ... and I'm delighted that Jimmy has chosen to lend something : can't wait to see what that is ! It's a wonderful gesture as he will be parted from whatever it is for some time .

Tate Britain already has some amazing Pre-Raphaelite work so it will be really something to see this supplemented by many other things..

• 4 weeks later...

This detailed article about the forthcoming Pre-Raphaelite exhibition at Tate Britain in London contains a very brief reference to Jimmy :

"In the next few days, The Lady of Shalott will depart this house for Tate Britain, where she is to appear in the gallery's autumn blockbuster, Pre-Raphaelites: Victorian Avant-Garde. There, it will join works owned by, among others, Jimmy Page and Andrew Lloyd Webber. "

Unfortunately that's all it says, but the exhibition really is a blockbuster event so doubtless we will hear more in due course...

http://www.guardian....de-tate-britain

There was already a thread started about the exhibition back in December 2011. :)

Tate Britain already has some amazing Pre-Raphaelite work so it will be really something to see this supplemented by many other things..

Yahoo! I am going to London in November. Tate Britain is on my list of things to see. Thanks everyone for the updates.

Spoiler Alert (below)

Confirmed: Jimmy has contributed two tapestries by Edward Burne-Jones.

Thanks Steve... I'm going to the exhibition tomorrow: now I know what to look out for ( though I love this art and think it's ALL worth looking out for).

Would those be the two tapestries which Jimmy apparently tried to sell off a few years ago and which ( I think) didn't reach their reserve price?

Would those be the two tapestries which Jimmy apparently tried to sell off a few years ago and which ( I think) didn't reach their reserve price?

Well, it has been said there wasn't a wall large enough at home to display those multi-million dollar pieces properly (after moving a couple years ago).

Aen27 and Miss Melanie, thanks for your comments and I'm sorry you can't go (though it's a very long term show which will tour to the US so who knows?).

I was already looking forward to it ... and I'm delighted that Jimmy has chosen to lend something : can't wait to see what that is ! It's a wonderful gesture as he will be parted from whatever it is for some time .

...looking forward to your commentary...this cultural aspect of Jimmy is so very beautiful...

article...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/art-features/9517270/Pre-Raphaelites-Tate-Britain-exhibition-visions-that-tell-us-who-we-are.html

Thanks to everyone above for your interest in my visit to Tate Britain. I really found it an incredibly immersive and rich experience, and thought I'd better write about it now before my mood is dispelled by all the Facebook excitement !

It's a huge collection of beautiful art and an amazing experience to view so much in one visit. The paintings include very familiar pieces: one I had as a poster in my room as a teenager, many I'd seen in different galleries, and other pieces brought from Europe and the US which I'd never seen before: a stunning and thought provoking collection full of intensity and extraordinary vision. Aside from the paintings, there are sculptures, sketches, photos, tapestries, furniture - all of great beauty, with dazzling use of colour and attention to detail. The links above, and many others, will give you a fuller description ( and by professional art critics ! ) .

The paintings are hung closely together, and the exhibition was quite crowded, so it's a slow progress through the rooms if you want to dwell on some of the incredible detail. Your eye is overwhelmed by the detail and colour of each piece: it's easy to be drawn in to the paintings, but you can rarely stand back and appreciate them from a distance.

So by contrast, it's startling to enter Room 6, where Jimmy's tapestries are displayed to stunning effect : they genuinely dominate the room and you almost gasp at the sudden change in perspective. An entire wall, divided by a large doorway, is set aside for them: as it happens, the space on each side of the doorway is roughly proportionate to the size of the two tapestries, and the wall itself is painted in a mid-grey tone which beautifully complements the silvery grey shades of colour used in the work. Aside from these tapestries, the rest of Room 6 ( which is entitled Paradise) is devoted to other tapestries, carpets and furniture.

I've found these, but you can easily search for other images, some of which show more detail. And apologies, I haven't sized them to scale with each other. The second of the tapestries certainly appears in these Forums: on one of the photo threads in which Jimmy is seen playing pool with the tapestry in the background. On balance I would say Tate Britain has got it right by not putting a pool table in the way !

Burne_Jones_ArmingandDepartureofKnights.jpg

edward+burne+jones-1896-quest+for+the+holy+grail+tapestries-the+attainment%3B+the+vision+of+the+holy+grail+to+sir+galahad,+sir+bors+%26+sir+percival.jpg

The two tapestries are :

The Arming and Departure of the Knights of the Round Table on the Quest for the Holy Grail.

The Attainment: the Vision of the Holy Grail to Sir Galahad, Sir Bors and Sir Percival.

They are by Edward Coley Burne-Jones, William Morris, and John Henry Dearle.

Some of the art is listed simply as "Private Collection" - but in the case of the tapestries, the ownership is attributed to Jimmy.

I believe he did try to sell these off : they're listed online in a Sotheby's website catalogue which details a Paul Reeve sale in March 2008. Fortunately, they weren't actually sold and he's been able to lend them to Tate Britain .

I hope very much that he's already had the chance to see the exhibition, or that he soon will, and that he appreciates the way they're presented.

Just as a footnote, as I stood at the back of the room to appreciate the tapestries, I saw that straight through the doorway which stands between them, in the next room is the huge Burne-Jones painting I use as my avatar on this site : how could I forget to post these details ?

Hello jb126 - I spent about two hours there including some time browsing the merchandise. I decided not to buy the "Pre-Raphaelite" (NOT) Christmas baubles ...

Yes, I've been there quite a few times : I'm lucky that it's only a short journey from where I live.

I hope you manage to go there in November: as you can tell I would really recommend it, with or without the fascinating addition of JP's tapestries.

Thanks truth and beauty, for your update. Having a look around this weekend & while painting is my main interest in Pre-Raphaelite art, I will pay attention

Jimmy's contribution to the exhibition.

All the reviews I have read are good.

Truth and Beauty, thank you for your review foremost...I love what you posted about Room 6...Wonderful!!

You are so lucky to live close by..and please keep the Fans updated should there be any more upcoming events related to our Beloved Jimmy...

I learned something about Burne-Jones, Rudyard Kipling was his nephew:

http://robertarood.w...ew-by-marriage/

Thanks Planet Page.

I've read online that Jimmy has contributed an article to the Tate magazine on this subject ... but I don't subscribe and I think it may only be available in print. Would be great if anyone has it ?

thank you T&B...I have found at least one quote from this article that you may have seen already...but I will post it...it is the Tate Etc. Magazine, Issue #26. out now..

Jimmy Page Quote as I found...

"As soon as I was in a position to do so, I indulged myself." Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page on his Burne-Jones tapestries, TATE ETC. issue 26

http://www.facebook.com/TATEETCmag

Perhaps it is available in the public institutions, art galleries, libraries...if any one has access...

http://www.e-flux.co...e-26-out-now-3/

Thanks to everyone above for your interest in my visit to Tate Britain. I really found it an incredibly immersive and rich experience, and thought I'd better write about it now before my mood is dispelled by all the Facebook excitement !

It's a huge collection of beautiful art and an amazing experience to view so much in one visit. The paintings include very familiar pieces: one I had as a poster in my room as a teenager, many I'd seen in different galleries, and other pieces brought from Europe and the US which I'd never seen before: a stunning and thought provoking collection full of intensity and extraordinary vision. Aside from the paintings, there are sculptures, sketches, photos, tapestries, furniture - all of great beauty, with dazzling use of colour and attention to detail. The links above, and many others, will give you a fuller description ( and by professional art critics ! ) .

The paintings are hung closely together, and the exhibition was quite crowded, so it's a slow progress through the rooms if you want to dwell on some of the incredible detail. Your eye is overwhelmed by the detail and colour of each piece: it's easy to be drawn in to the paintings, but you can rarely stand back and appreciate them from a distance.

So by contrast, it's startling to enter Room 6, where Jimmy's tapestries are displayed to stunning effect : they genuinely dominate the room and you almost gasp at the sudden change in perspective. An entire wall, divided by a large doorway, is set aside for them: as it happens, the space on each side of the doorway is roughly proportionate to the size of the two tapestries, and the wall itself is painted in a mid-grey tone which beautifully complements the silvery grey shades of colour used in the work. Aside from these tapestries, the rest of Room 6 ( which is entitled Paradise) is devoted to other tapestries, carpets and furniture.

I've found these, but you can easily search for other images, some of which show more detail. And apologies, I haven't sized them to scale with each other. The second of the tapestries certainly appears in these Forums: on one of the photo threads in which Jimmy is seen playing pool with the tapestry in the background. On balance I would say Tate Britain has got it right by not putting a pool table in the way !

Burne_Jones_ArmingandDepartureofKnights.jpg

edward+burne+jones-1896-quest+for+the+holy+grail+tapestries-the+attainment%3B+the+vision+of+the+holy+grail+to+sir+galahad,+sir+bors+%26+sir+percival.jpg

The two tapestries are :

The Arming and Departure of the Knights of the Round Table on the Quest for the Holy Grail.

The Attainment: the Vision of the Holy Grail to Sir Galahad, Sir Bors and Sir Percival.

They are by Edward Coley Burne-Jones, William Morris, and John Henry Dearle.

Some of the art is listed simply as "Private Collection" - but in the case of the tapestries, the ownership is attributed to Jimmy.

I believe he did try to sell these off : they're listed online in a Sotheby's website catalogue which details a Paul Reeve sale in March 2008. Fortunately, they weren't actually sold and he's been able to lend them to Tate Britain .

I hope very much that he's already had the chance to see the exhibition, or that he soon will, and that he appreciates the way they're presented.

Just as a footnote, as I stood at the back of the room to appreciate the tapestries, I saw that straight through the doorway which stands between them, in the next room is the huge Burne-Jones painting I use as my avatar on this site : how could I forget to post these details ?

Thank you for letting us know your opinion of the exhibit. This is my first chance to be able to read them. You are very lucky to have seen this in person. I hope Jimmy will have time to see it too. I think of him every time I see that tapstry. :D

Thank you for that quote, PlanetPage. It was new to me. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy's article with the Tate Etc Magazine - from which I've seen a one line quote - has now been published online : here's the link . But also a transcript in case it's not accessible everywhere..

ttp://www.tate.org.uk/context-comment/articles/jimmy-page-on-pre-raphaelites?utm_source=&utm_medium=&ut

TEXT FOLLOWS :

I have had a passion for the Pre- Raphaelites since my early teens. I would have initially seen them as reproductions, but I remember a visit to Tate and encountering the actual paintings. They had a profound effect on me. It was quite an experience – the realism of their technique along with the idealism, and of course the romanticism.

This was before I attended art college. Most people would assume that it was there that I was first exposed to their work, but actually the teaching and syllabus of that time was much more to do with modern art and using modern materials – acrylics in particular – so oil painting, particularly of earlier styles, was not championed. My study of Pre- Raphaelitism, if you need to call it that, was therefore entirely self-driven and a personal quest.

As you know, this art was selling for mere hundreds of pounds at the time, but I was a student and didn’t have that kind of money to buy it. However, as soon as I was in a position to do so, I indulged myself. As to which of the artists I most admired, of course I adored Edward Burne-Jones and Dante Gabriel Rossetti, but is there any point or justification in singling out any of them? The art and life and death of Lizzie Siddal always moved me. I think it would be fair to say that I was pretty intoxicated with the whole movement.

Later, I had the chance to buy the two tapestries which are on loan to the Tate exhibition. There were three in an auction at Sotheby’s,Belgravia; I think the date was 1978. I fixed on the two I acquired, although all three were beautiful. What enthralled me was the majesty of their drawing and of the execution of the tapestries by those unbelievably skilled craftsmen. The attention to detail of the subject matter and even the background of verdure and flora is still quite astonishing to me. At the time I found it overwhelming. I only hope visitors to the exhibition will feel the same intensity of passion as I did when I first saw them. They were the absolute zenith of Burne-Jones’s and William Morris’s output. I believe Morris himself said the series of tapestries was his masterwork.

Jimmy Page talked to Paul Reeves.

Jimmy's article with the Tate Etc Magazine - from which I've seen a one line quote - has now been published online : here's the link . But also a transcript in case it's not accessible everywhere..

ttp://www.tate.org.uk/context-comment/articles/jimmy-page-on-pre-raphaelites?utm_source=&utm_medium=&ut

TEXT FOLLOWS :

I have had a passion for the Pre- Raphaelites since my early teens. I would have initially seen them as reproductions, but I remember a visit to Tate and encountering the actual paintings. They had a profound effect on me. It was quite an experience – the realism of their technique along with the idealism, and of course the romanticism.

This was before I attended art college. Most people would assume that it was there that I was first exposed to their work, but actually the teaching and syllabus of that time was much more to do with modern art and using modern materials – acrylics in particular – so oil painting, particularly of earlier styles, was not championed. My study of Pre- Raphaelitism, if you need to call it that, was therefore entirely self-driven and a personal quest.

As you know, this art was selling for mere hundreds of pounds at the time, but I was a student and didn’t have that kind of money to buy it. However, as soon as I was in a position to do so, I indulged myself. As to which of the artists I most admired, of course I adored Edward Burne-Jones and Dante Gabriel Rossetti, but is there any point or justification in singling out any of them? The art and life and death of Lizzie Siddal always moved me. I think it would be fair to say that I was pretty intoxicated with the whole movement.

Later, I had the chance to buy the two tapestries which are on loan to the Tate exhibition. There were three in an auction at Sotheby’s,Belgravia; I think the date was 1978. I fixed on the two I acquired, although all three were beautiful. What enthralled me was the majesty of their drawing and of the execution of the tapestries by those unbelievably skilled craftsmen. The attention to detail of the subject matter and even the background of verdure and flora is still quite astonishing to me. At the time I found it overwhelming. I only hope visitors to the exhibition will feel the same intensity of passion as I did when I first saw them. They were the absolute zenith of Burne-Jones’s and William Morris’s output. I believe Morris himself said the series of tapestries was his masterwork.

Jimmy Page talked to Paul Reeves.

Truth and Beauty thank you for posting this link, I was wondering about this...it is interesting that Jimmy spoke to Paul Reeves once again, as he spoke to him for his Japan/Swinging 60's exhibition couple years ago. He also answered some of my questions, I always wondered about this, as did the fans no doubt, what was his art school days like...

There is also an article that was recently posted here in this forum about his art school professor who recently passed away, Christopher Clairmonte from Sutton Art College...

"One of his early jobs was at Sutton College of Arts, where a young Jimmy Page (later lead guitarist with Led Zeppelin) was among his students. When Page failed to turn up to one too many lectures, an exasperated Clairmonte issued an ultimatum: choose between the paintbrush and the guitar."

Link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9473318/Christopher-Clairmonte.html

..Thank you, if I find any further confirmation information about dates of his art school, I will post it...

Archived