Gallows Pole by Neil Young & Crazy Horse

Mudslider

I was really expecting more. I thought that was terrible. Young's voice sounds squeaky and somewhat comical these days. I put him in the category with the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and other acts that should not be making new music anymore.

I was really expecting more. I thought that was terrible. Young's voice sounds squeaky and somewhat comical these days. I put him in the category with the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and other acts that should not be making new music anymore.

He's nothing close to the joke the Stone's have become...I think his take on the song is very cool and unexpected, whcih makes it good listen. Lots of stuff going on within the song, backing vocals are nice, etc. I will agree that his voice isn't what it was, but for a guy his age, who's is?

I'm not trying to be negative here, just voice my opinion of it. Just want to say that because my comment reads a little more snarky than I would like. I haven't heard anymore of the album so I can't judge anymore of it but I don't think a voice in decline has to be a bad thing. Do like Robert Plant and sing things that suit your old guy voice. Granted Robert Plant can still sing anything but most can't.

I'm not trying to be negative here, just voice my opinion of it. Just want to say that because my comment reads a little more snarky than I would like. I haven't heard anymore of the album so I can't judge anymore of it but I don't think a voice in decline has to be a bad thing. Do like Robert Plant and sing things that suit your old guy voice. Granted Robert Plant can still sing anything but most can't.

Thinking it was "terrible" is hardly positive!?

Substitute Ted Nugent for Neil and you'll be making a lot more sense.

Substitute Ted Nugent for Neil and you'll be making a lot more sense.

Take the politics somewhere else. This thread has NOTHING to do with Ted Nugent. Besides, if you've seen Nugent in concert you know he has more energy now than ever on stage. His best new music is behind him but he is actually getting better live (like most guitarists do).

Thinking it was "terrible" is hardly positive!?

I don't mean to say I have no intention of expressing a negative idea. Rather, I didn't intend to come across like a person who bursts into threads and says @#$% you at whats going on. We have enough overly negative members. I really was looking forward to hearing this when I heard some time back that he was going to do a version of this song. I was just disappointed in the actual product that he wound up producing.

I suppose if you like Neil Young, you;ll like this, which i do. The song is an old scottish song which has loads of versions, and Neil being the story teller he is in his songs, tells the story how it is :)

Some guy on youtube called Ben Andrews does a great version too.

Take the politics somewhere else. This thread has NOTHING to do with Ted Nugent. Besides, if you've seen Nugent in concert you know he has more energy now than ever on stage. His best new music is behind him but he is actually getting better live (like most guitarists do).

I didn't mention anything about politics, I was stating how Neil is more relevant than the other aging artists you mentioned. Since the Nuge is still around and still performing and has nothing new to offer, he fits that description to a t.

I'm surpised you'd say that about those artists......after making one shit album after another for decades, the Stones last album (2005's "Bigger Bang") was their best since 1978's Some Girls ........and I'm hearing good things about the upcoming Aerosmith release.....which was produced by Jack Douglas, who did all their 70's albums......supposedly this album wil completely get away from all that commercial crap they've been doing forever now......and Neil Young also occasionally puts out some damned good stuff........careful what you wish for......I'm just glad these people are still alive...........

In a recent interview, one of the members of Crazy Horse commented on how much of Americana didn't really fit the feel of their current setlists so that's why they're only doing one song from it. The emphasis is much more on their upcoming new record, Psychedelic Pill. Not everything Neil releases turns to gold but he definitely spends much more time looking forward than looking back which puts him miles ahead of some of his contemporaries when it comes to relevancy.

For the record, I also really liked A Bigger Bang, meanwhile Aerosmith hasn't really done anything I've liked very much since the 70's. It'll be interesting to see if they can pull a rabbit out of their hat with Music From Another Dimension.

This a pretty decent Neil tune! Americana is a weird album, but Neil and Crazy Horse pull it off.

Not a big Stones fan, and I agree with Jahfin about Aerosmith, it's been awhile. Same for Nugent, Double Live Gonzo was pretty impressive, but studio wise after that, it's all been very mediocre.

Neil continues to amaze with concept albums (Greendale), more Crazy Horse stuff (new one coming out in a month or so), accoustic albums, he's just all over the map!

But to each their own. I have friends who LOVE Aerosmith and the stuff they've been doing recently. It's kind of like Rod Stewart when I hear the stuff he's been doing, and I say "THIS is the same guy who did Maggie May???? NFW!"

Archived