Hurricane Sandy

Walter

Good news SuperDave! As of about 7:30 last night everything is back up and running in my home too. Still a lot of work being done in my town, but getting there. Some homes and businesses are gone, I can't and don't like to imagine it.

I hope NY and NJ can start to turn things around soon.

What I experienced is nothing compared to what other people are experiencing in the northeast. Many have lost their homes and I didn't. I have my power, tv, internet etc., so I feel quite fortunate. It may be months or even years til some of those who have suffered significant property loss have their lives return to somewhat normal. Had a few trees come down next to my residence in sort of a domino effect, with one landing on the wires in front of my house. One of the trees just snapped at around the halfway point from the intense winds. It was at least a 50 foot tree. Pretty wild. About another 20 feet to the the right and those trees would have been on my house. Dodged a close one and feel lucky!

They have cancelled the Maration...bowing to pressure. If that's what it takes...

My heart is just broken. On the serious side, just imagine how pissed these runners are that flew there for nothing. Spent God knows how much money and it could have and should have been canceled a long time ago. Dumb ass's.

My heart is just broken. On the serious side, just imagine how pissed these runners are that flew there for nothing. Spent God knows how much money and it could have and should have been canceled a long time ago. Dumb ass's.

Especially since roads capable of handling large groups of runners for 26 consecutive miles are so hard to come by.

Good to know your back Super Dave!

My friends at the Putnam / Westchester county border just got power back last night. From what they are telling me most of Westchester county is still out.

I have a family member who lives in Westchester County and their power is still out. It really sucked, having my power out for four days. The nights were getting cold in the house and doing everything by candlelight or flashlight was not fun.

Pic taken in front of house in NJ......

Great pic! There is another from Twitter I posted previously that shows this was an entire block (Hudson Street) in Hoboken who had come together to do this. Lots of great stories of people doing what they can to help out. My local Irish pub had a well turned-out benefit last night collecting donations for the Rockaways.

And in NYC Marathon news (so glad it was cancelled), lots of runners are using their time here to volunteer, especially in Staten Island.

Call me cynical but imo the late cancelation of the marathon was deliberate. If there had been an immediate calling off the finacial loss would have been much greater than it is. Many competitors would have stayed away anyway, but the ones that did'nt are now there contributing to the local economy.

Call me cynical but imo the late cancelation of the marathon was deliberate. If there had been an immediate calling off the finacial loss would have been much greater than it is. Many competitors would have stayed away anyway, but the ones that did'nt are now there contributing to the local economy.

Maybe. Bloomberg and the head of NY Road Runners were the holdouts from an official perspective. The NYPD and rest of the City Council were opposed. In any case, there IS a marathon happening -just a rogue one. Central Park (normally the last stage of the race) is packed with runners wearing their official bibs, race officials & vehicles, food & water tables, and people lining the road to cheer albeit on a smaller level.