Hurricane Sandy

Walter

Will be relocating tomorrow as I live in a low lying area at the bottom of a basin, which floods often. Moved a lot of stuff to the upper floor, which wasn't fun. 26 steps in all, up and down. Have to work for a bit tomorrow than drive 15 miles to stay with others for a while. Should be ok as it won't get real bad until the afternoon. Only working for a few hours.

Wish all of you well here on the East Coast who will be affected by this, including myself. It could be pretty bad here late tomorrow night and into Tuesday here in CT. Will probably be worse in NYC, NJ and Philly. Hope for the best!!!!

Will be relocating tomorrow as I live in a low lying area at the bottom of a basin, which floods often. Moved a lot of stuff to the upper floor, which wasn't fun. 26 steps in all, up and down. Have to work for a bit tomorrow than drive 15 miles to stay with others for a while. Should be ok as it won't get real bad until the afternoon. Only working for a few hours.

Wish all of you well here on the East Coast who will be affected by this, including myself. It could be pretty bad here late tomorrow night and into Tuesday here in CT. Will probably be worse in NYC, NJ and Philly. Hope for the best!!!!

To my best friend here and a genuine guy, Dave -You are in my thoughts brother- Stay safe and I hope the very best for you and for anyone else that is is the path of this Hurricane. (I'm sure they're a few)

To my best friend here and a genuine guy, Dave -You are in my thoughts brother- Stay safe and I hope the very best for you and for anyone else that is is the path of this Hurricane. (I'm sure they're a few)

So much appreciated Mike! You're one of the best here and have such a great heart!!! :thanku:

Have one on me for this post and I will too!! :beer:

So much appreciated Mike! You're one of the best here and have such a great heart!!! :thanku:

Have one on me for this post and I will too!! :beer:

:drinks: :drinks: :drinks: How about a six pack?

I'll hollar at ya tomorrow man. Glad to talk with you the last few days. I know what your going through, and all the emotions and nerves combined. Just remain in good spirits and remember that whatever happens, you will get through it. But I have a gut feeling that you will be okay-aside from a few days of missed work. I'll call you tomorrow evening. Try not to worry too much, if that's possible. It'll be okay.

:drinks: :drinks: :drinks: How about a six pack?

I'll hollar at ya tomorrow man. Glad to talk with you the last few days. I know what your going through, and all the emotions and nerves combined. Just remain in good spirits and remember that whatever happens, you will get through it. But I have a gut feeling that you will be okay-aside from a few days of missed work. I'll call you tomorrow evening. Try not to worry too much, if that's possible. It'll be okay.

Thanks Mike. The alcohol is feeling good and going down well tonight! Not out of control or anything. Just to relax myself.

:thanku:

Probably, more so tomorrow night! :drunk:

Should I have posted this here? It's ok, considering the circumstances.

The alcohol is feeling good and going down well tonight! Not out of control or anything. Just to relax myself. :drunk:Should I have posted this here? It's ok, considering the circumstances.

Of course, it's okay! Everyone I know in Manhattan (not to mention Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island) have stocked up on wine + beer + h20 + flashlights. it's quiet now but not so unusual for a Sunday night and the temp has dropped quite a bit. The city got a little panick-y late afternoon. For once, I did things early. Clients have told us to stay home tomorrow + Tuesday so all is chill for now. Mostly worried about high winds in the density of the city!

Of course, it's okay! Everyone I know in Manhattan (not to mention Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island) have stocked up on wine + beer + h20 + flashlights. it's quiet now but not so unusual for a Sunday night and the temp has dropped quite a bit. The city got a little panick-y late afternoon. For once, I did things early. Clients have told us to stay home tomorrow + Tuesday so all is chill for now. Mostly worried about high winds in the density of the city!

The wind will be the biggest problem in most of Manhattan, except for lower, which in that area could see a storm surge at a level that has never happened before. They're predicting around 11.7 feet, would would take the flooding past Wall Street. Worst was 1960 during Hurricane Donna. I think that was around 10.5-11. I'm sure you could find the exact on that. Heard this tonight on one of the news stations, but can't remember the exact number.

Have all the essentials and am pretty prepared. Stay safe!

Dave and everyone else in the path of this storm, hope you come out of it okay. Be safe.

Thanks Paul and much obliged. This may be the last time I'm on here until the storm passes. Depend on power loss etc. We'll see!

Funny but true tips from a friend on how to deal with hurricanes:

Having lived in Florida my whole life and dealt with my share of Hurricanes here’s a list of tips and tricks to getting through a hurricane as safely and happily as you can.

• DO NOT RUN A GENERATOR INDOORS. It can kill you within minutes due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Can’t afford one or live in a condo? Candles are your best friends, as are mini grills, Sterno stoves and radios.
  • Board up your windows, yes it’s a pain in the ass, but that two hours you spend doing that can save both your lives, your possessions and hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of water damage and window repair.
  • Stay in a room with little or no windows or doors to the outside. Bathrooms are your best bet, put pillows and blankets in the bathtub for a comfortable and safe nest.
  • Does your bathroom have windows? Get in a closet and do the same thing.
  • Your animals (especially cats) will find hiding places within your house, so if you can’t locate them, be assured that they are safe and sound tucked away in a corner where they feel safe.
  • Get a suitcase and fill it with your most valuable/prized possessions, just in case a window were to blow in, you know your favorite things are safe, that way you don’t need to go into that room to get anything.
  • LOCK YOUR DOORS and if you can, push a dresser or other heavy piece of furniture in front of it for extra security.
  • NEVER ever drink/use tap water during or a week after a hurricane, always boil it first or drink/use bottled water.
  • Flashlights are great if you don’t like the idea of burning candles around your house.
  • If your family members aren’t going to be in the same room, get walkie talkies, hurricanes are loud and it can be hard to hear each other sometimes.
  • DON’T GO OUTSIDE. I DON’T CARE IF YOU THINK YOU’RE A BADASS, YOU CAN EASILY BE IMPALED OR OTHERWISE MAIMED BY DEBRIS AND SHRAPNEL.
  • If a tornado spawns from the hurricane and you do not have a basement or other safe place to ride out out in, get under your mattress as fast as you can. Yes it will be heavy and uncomfortable, but it will shield you from any falling pictures, flying debris and will hold you down nice and steady from any winds.
  • Books are your best friends once the power goes out, it can be really calming to read and once the tv and internet goes off, there isn’t much else to do.
  • While you still have power, make sure to charge up all of the electronics you think you could need over the next week so that if you loose power, you will at least have them for some of the time.
  • Make sure your cellphone is charged up, but don’t use it for anything but emergency calls.
  • Cordless phones won’t work, but on-the-wall phones will.
  • Fill up your bathtub and sinks with water, this way you can bathe/flush toilets without wasting your good consuming water.
  • Be safe guys

I hope everybody is listening to their local news stations for warnings on evacuations! This stuff is not something to be taken lightly!!! I hope everyone keeps safe and warm and don't forget about the pets!

The evacuations in my town have begun this morning, but I'm 4+ miles from the ocean, so this does not affect me. I don't expect any major problems, probably lose power and possibly a little water in the basement.

I hope everyone gets through just fine. Needless to say, there are lots of kind people who visit this forum.

Watching the U.S news channels, (mostly the highly irritating unfabulous Fox news) .I feel for all of you in Sandy Frankestorms path, it's not looking good...Report right now is about the abandonment of the replica of the HMS Bounty tall ship. Brrrrr, stay safe people, stay safe.

That storm is SO massive! Be safe everyone....looking forward to hearing from you all in a couple of days - once everything has calmed down and gotten back to normal!

Peace.

P.S., my usual ritual during a hurricane - fried chicken with lots of Captain Morgan's shots with Coke chasers!!! Comfort food....

Take care!

Funny but true tips from a friend on how to deal with hurricanes:

Having lived in Florida my whole life and dealt with my share of Hurricanes here’s a list of tips and tricks to getting through a hurricane as safely and happily as you can.

• DO NOT RUN A GENERATOR INDOORS. It can kill you within minutes due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Can’t afford one or live in a condo? Candles are your best friends, as are mini grills, Sterno stoves and radios.
  • Board up your windows, yes it’s a pain in the ass, but that two hours you spend doing that can save both your lives, your possessions and hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of water damage and window repair.
  • Stay in a room with little or no windows or doors to the outside. Bathrooms are your best bet, put pillows and blankets in the bathtub for a comfortable and safe nest.
  • Does your bathroom have windows? Get in a closet and do the same thing.
  • Your animals (especially cats) will find hiding places within your house, so if you can’t locate them, be assured that they are safe and sound tucked away in a corner where they feel safe.
  • Get a suitcase and fill it with your most valuable/prized possessions, just in case a window were to blow in, you know your favorite things are safe, that way you don’t need to go into that room to get anything.
  • LOCK YOUR DOORS and if you can, push a dresser or other heavy piece of furniture in front of it for extra security.
  • NEVER ever drink/use tap water during or a week after a hurricane, always boil it first or drink/use bottled water.
  • Flashlights are great if you don’t like the idea of burning candles around your house.
  • If your family members aren’t going to be in the same room, get walkie talkies, hurricanes are loud and it can be hard to hear each other sometimes.
  • DON’T GO OUTSIDE. I DON’T CARE IF YOU THINK YOU’RE A BADASS, YOU CAN EASILY BE IMPALED OR OTHERWISE MAIMED BY DEBRIS AND SHRAPNEL.
  • If a tornado spawns from the hurricane and you do not have a basement or other safe place to ride out out in, get under your mattress as fast as you can. Yes it will be heavy and uncomfortable, but it will shield you from any falling pictures, flying debris and will hold you down nice and steady from any winds.
  • Books are your best friends once the power goes out, it can be really calming to read and once the tv and internet goes off, there isn’t much else to do.
  • While you still have power, make sure to charge up all of the electronics you think you could need over the next week so that if you loose power, you will at least have them for some of the time.
  • Make sure your cellphone is charged up, but don’t use it for anything but emergency calls.
  • Cordless phones won’t work, but on-the-wall phones will.
  • Fill up your bathtub and sinks with water, this way you can bathe/flush toilets without wasting your good consuming water.
  • Be safe guys

I didn't see it on the list, but also get CASH just in case the power is out and ATM machines/credit card machines are not working properly!

State of Emergency declared here in NH. Not too bad right now, sustained winds probably 25 MPH, occasional gusts to 40. But starting around 3PM, they are saying sustained winds of 45 MPH, gusts to 60 and 70. It starts to wind down Tuesday at 8AM. So about 17 straight hours of strong winds, probably be lots of trees down and all.

I think we'll escape with minor stuff, some other locations it looks REAL bad.

Stay safe everyone! If they tell you to go, GO! Better to be alive and come back to a damaged residence than the other options....

State of Emergency declared here in NH. Not too bad right now, sustained winds probably 25 MPH, occasional gusts to 40. But starting around 3PM, they are saying sustained winds of 45 MPH, gusts to 60 and 70. It starts to wind down Tuesday at 8AM. So about 17 straight hours of strong winds, probably be lots of trees down and all.

I think we'll escape with minor stuff, some other locations it looks REAL bad.

Stay safe everyone! If they tell you to go, GO! Better to be alive and come back to a damaged residence than the other options....

Its supposed to hit us late this afternoon. Its just to the South on the radar. If it continues to move north, we are going to get some of it. Just hope the temps dont drop. Dont want an ice storm

Archived