Hurricane Sandy

Walter

We were very fortunate to have had no damage/loss of power. School and my office are closed today, although I'm doing a little bit of work from home. I'm mainly looking forward to a movie day and making a big pot of sauce and meatballs (yesterday was chocolate chip cookie day). I hope everyone up north made it through ok; please check in when you can.

I've said it at least ten times in the short time I've been a member here - there are a lot of kind people here. I'll be working at home today, I haven't ventured out beyond my immediate neighborhood. There is extensive damage a few miles south at the shoreline, I've seen some pictures online. My power is back, cable still out, but I've seen some photos online.

NY is having some major issues. I feel for them, lot of problems in the last several years. They are a tough bunch and will get through.

Thanks again for all of the kind words!

I've said it at least ten times in the short time I've been a member here - there are a lot of kind people here. I'll be working at home today, I haven't ventured out beyond my immediate neighborhood. There is extensive damage a few miles south at the shoreline, I've seen some pictures online. My power is back, cable still out, but I've seen some photos online.

NY is having some major issues. I feel for them, lot of problems in the last several years. They are a tough bunch and will get through.

Thanks again for all of the kind words!

I hear Chatham in Cape Cod was hit good. But New Jersey and part of NY City is the worse. My daughter, who I woke up at 7, has no power and it could be some time before there is power in parts of New Jersey.. 650,000 out of power in the NY/NJ area. Rochester has closed all government offices. The roads are like a ghost town. Pretty sure Buffalo got it good too.

Hi all. Thought we'd escaped with just the brief power outage yesterday, but today the cable/internet is out. Ah well, better than no lights!

Best to all who are dealing with the aftermath. And thanks to everyone for the good wishes and thoughts!

Hi all. Thought we'd escaped with just the brief power outage yesterday, but today the cable/internet is out. Ah well, better than no lights!

Best to all who are dealing with the aftermath. And thanks to everyone for the good wishes and thoughts!

I saw some shots of Baltimore on the weather channel. Good luck. We have ours back up. Luckily

The aftermath of Hurricane Sandy in The Bronx NY

Bingo, those are incredible pictures. Glad no one was in that car and that you're safe, too!

To everyone else - Thanks for all of the good thoughts!

We were very fortunate in my spot of Upper Manhattan (well as long as you're closer to the Park and further from the East River.) Most just downed branches and some tree limbs.

Below 34th street, Westchester, parts of Queens, some of LI, and lots in NJ are in bad shape. Some of the photos (like Bingo's) are just crazy. We're lucky to live in a well-prepared, well-led city and state with very experienced first responders so people are getting the help they need as soon as quickly as possible. Social media was a huge help too. Subways will probably be closed for rest of the week but bridges have reopened. JFK reopens tomorrow - LGA has lots of damage though and will not. Buses will run again at 5 and for free. NYTimes is also accessible without the firewall so people can get the info they need.

Now off to get more supplies to host some Sandy refugees for a few days. The temp is starting to drop and nothing cozier than a small apt with lots of people and lots of wine, and of course, good music.

fdm12, I know the family that got their Mercedes crush. He just moved it when 15 minutes later the tree snapped. I'm happy for them that the tree didn't blow the other way and land on their house.

Considering what happened, they were in good spirits today. They've been after NYC to remove that tree for years.

Thanks everyone for checking in and letting each other know we're okay.

We never lost power, cable or Internet, but it is pouring right now, and we are expecting thunderstorms later. There was minor damage in my 'hood, thankfully.

Thinking of all who took the brunt of this 'crazy bitch'. (As someone texted me this morning...you know who you are)

Hurrican Sandy: God's October Surprise

No, no, no, I'm sorry, but I can't just ignore...

Weather patterns are scientifically predicted by men and women who have dedicated many years of their lives to this modality. Todd Gross predicted the perfect storm you will recall back in 1991, right here in the hub.

While I respect your right to believe whatever you like, may I suggest you start a thread entirely comprised of biblical prophecy, if that's your thing. That was not the intent of this particular thread, it was being properly used as a way for those dealing with this storm to reach out to one another.

Good grief.

We really dodged a bullet! Lot of wind, lot of heavy rain even some hail. Power went out around 4PM Monday, it's still out now. (Not unexpected, I live in the boondocks on a dirt road). I did see one utility pole on my way to work that had broken off about ten feet up. Must have been the wind. Just unbelievable that it could break one of those poles...the wires were stripped and torn off, all over the road...will probably be days before I get power back. Thank goodness for the generator!

We really dodged a bullet! Lot of wind, lot of heavy rain even some hail. Power went out around 4PM Monday, it's still out now. (Not unexpected, I live in the boondocks on a dirt road). I did see one utility pole on my way to work that had broken off about ten feet up. Must have been the wind. Just unbelievable that it could break one of those poles...the wires were stripped and torn off, all over the road...will probably be days before I get power back. Thank goodness for the generator!

Glad to hear you're okay!

I know, the wind was unreal...can you imagine what it must have been like in NYC?

:-)

Hurrican Sandy: God's October Surprise

Utterly lacking in good taste. Or reason.

So Canadians had to die because God is so interested in how the U.S. election turns out?What kind of a sick God does that?

Please take your Bible-thumping somewhere else.

Sorry you have lost your power. We did all night last night. Makes you wonder sitting there in the candlelight what it must have been like to live 100 years ago and longer? I almost went and started playing my guitar but wind was so damn loud. So you have a generator? I have mulled over buying one. My friend wants to install a natural gas one but those cost alot more and you cant take them with you if you move. I think the old gas ones are fine. But I dont know if I will go into the service or dryer or where I would connect it here? I dont have to worry about it now as we are back up. but that can change fast. Good luck buddy

Sorry I bumped your post Strider.

Good to hear you're doing okay. The loss of power sucks, but it could be worse. Take care dude. B)

Archived