Mass Shooting at Elementary School Connecticut 12/14/12

missytootsweet

Mental illness isn't an excuse nor is it ridiculous. It's a sad and horrible reality. Maybe you've never known anyone with paranoid schizophrenia but you might think differently if you had.

Strict gun laws not a lack of incidence of mental illness have more to do with low homicidal rates in other countries.

Every human being has the capacity to be evil - so yes, it could also be the case.

Here's a timeline of Mass Shootings -just one type of gun violence in the US - since 1982.

61 of them. So you're right hecube, it's not going to stop.

http://www.motherjon...s-shootings-map

I am more than aware of the connotations of mental illness having worked in a psychiatric facility for a while.

Yes, it is more than likely that the shooters do have some form of mental instability, but this cannot be the excuse we have to keep using to justify why these shootings take place so frequently.

For the thousands of other shootings that take place in the country and never get any national attention...are they all guilty of having some kind of 'mental illness'? For the man that shot the teenage boy a few weeks ago just because his music was too loud...is he guilty of 'mental illness' as well?

So no. Having a gun in the hand gives some folks a feeling of senseless power, and it can make a perfectly good person do the unthinkable just like that.

I understand what you are saying. But if one, just one teacher had a gun, perhaps he could have stopped the bastard? Weeks before Xmas and these parents have to deal with the unthinkable. We must be prepared and be responsible gun owners .

Yeah, but RESPONSIBLE is the key word that is not a guarantee when it comes to owning a gun, or anything else for that matter (being a parent, etc)

I don;t think arming teachers with guns would help anything. Maybe every school has to be eqiupped with a personal deputy assigned to each classroom, just outside the door? Sounds crazy, but that's the world we live in...

Now where's that guy (LEDZEPLIVES66, or something) who once said to me that the world is NOT a fucked up place....

I beg to differ

Yeah, but RESPONSIBLE is the key word that is not a guarantee when it comes to owning a gun, or anything else for that matter (being a parent, etc)

I don;t think arming teachers with guns would help anything. Maybe every school has to be eqiupped with a personal deputy assigned to each classroom, just outside the door? Sounds crazy, but that's the world we live in...

Now where's that guy (LEDZEPLIVES66, or something) who once said to me that the world is NOT a fucked up place....

I beg to differ

I have owned guns for over 30 years and I have not killed anyone or done anything irresponsible with them. This other guy is screaming to change our right to bear arms, another whacko that is unrealistic. He does not realize that people like this 20 yrs old bastard that killed those kids are going to get a gun one way or another. So is the answer to disarm the responsible gun owners? fuck no. If one teacher had a pistol in his possesion perhaps he could have stopped more of this carnage. Instead, the guy has no opposition. I believe they should fund every school to have a security guard. Armed

Given the current US population is over 313 MILLION...sixty one is nearly infinitesimal. However, we can all rest assured the media and the politicians will seize upon this latest tragedy...

Yes, statistically that's true but you're overlooking the every day gun violence in this country that is also part of the argument for gun control.

If only the politicians would - they have no courage to do so. But the NRA certainly will with the "if a citizen had a gun they would have stopped..."

I am more than aware of the connotations of mental illness having worked in a psychiatric facility for a while.

Yes, it is more than likely that the shooters do have some form of mental instability, but this cannot be the excuse we have to keep using to justify why these shootings take place so frequently. For the thousands of other shootings that take place in the country and never get any national attention...are they all guilty of having some kind of 'mental illness'? For the man that shot the teenage boy a few weeks ago just because his music was too loud...is he guilty of 'mental illness' as well?So no. Having a gun in the hand gives some folks a feeling of senseless power, and it can make a perfectly good person do the unthinkable just like that.

Every day gun violence is another issue and another discussion. But yes as I noted above, every human being has the capacity for evil so making it easy to get guns doesn't help with every day gun violence either.

Mental illness is not an excuse or a justification for the frequency of mass shootings in the US but how we manage them both of them might be.

I believe they should fund every school to have a security guard. Armed

That's the only thing I agree with, (personal deputy) as I believe I mentioned above.

Let cops be cops, and teachers be teachers Rick. Hell, won't you give the guy serving your food at your favorite resturant a gun too, if that's the case. Maybe even the nurse who delivers babies...? why not.

I respect your opinion either way.

All talk and no action.

Give it another month and it will be 'forgotten' until the next mass shooting takes place. -_-

What action can be taken now? The guy is dead and so too are the victims. This one is very very sad. But like Rock Historian said, we dont have a crystal ball and do not know when or where lighting will strike. But we can be ready to stop the next one.

That's the only thing I agree with, (personal deputy) as I believe I mentioned above.

Let cops be cops, and teachers be teachers Rick. Hell, won't you give the guy serving your food at your favorite resturant a gun too, if that's the case. Maybe even the nurse who delivers babies...? why not.

I respect your opinion either way.

You are one of the smartest and best posters here. So I respect yours too. But not one that calls me crazy because he does not believe in the US constitutions right to bear arms. That is the only way to stop the bad guys.

You are one of the smartest and best posters here. So I respect yours too. But not one that calls me crazy because he does not believe in the US constitutions right to bear arms. That is the only way to stop the bad guys.

We are the most heavily armed society in the world and it hasn't stopped shit. It's only increased the violence.

(90 guns per 100 people. Source: Reuters)

We are the most heavily armed society in the world and it hasn't stopped shit. It's only increased the violence.

(90 guns per 100 people. Source: Reuters)

This happened in a community that you would never expect it to happen. Well educated and upper class big time

A ban of guns in the US would be as effective as the war on drugs has been.....NOTTA!

Would you anti-gun folks be any happier if these nut jobs just waited till school let out and plowed their SUV into a crowd of children? Would you scream for a ban of SUVs? We need to force our attention on the sick criminals that are committing these crimes, not the method they use to do it because they will just use vehicles, gasoline bombs or knives to do it.

Just as others overlook that gun control is a denial or limitation by governments of the right to armed self-defense, as established by the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States. No one seems to push for stricter criminal control laws instead.

There isn't any control or limitation or denial - that's the issue!

Yes, the country with the highest incarceration rate is proof that criminal control laws work. I guess Americans are just more violent and more criminal than any other nationality.

Everytime there's a mass shooting the mass media transitions into "if it bleeds it leads" mode. On-scene reporting all too often leads to real-time inaccuracies and misinformation. I'll wait for the official police statements to issued..

Duly noted, Steve.

As a matter of fact just now on ABC News they said the gunman had 4, not 2 guns as I had posted earlier.

So sad....there is time to debate gun control....I'm grieving for those poor children being subjected to such a horrible, life changing event at such a young age and the families who will have to do the unthinkable - bury your own child!

I am completely distraught over reading this.... :(

So sad....there is time to debate gun control....I'm grieving for those poor children being subjected to such a horrible, life changing event at such a young age and the families who will have to do the unthinkable - bury your own child!I am completely distraught over reading this.... :(

Point well taken, Walter.

Based on my occupation and the fact my son is in elementary school currently, I just even believe that someone would do this to these little children, families, teachers who love and teach them daily - it's more than just a job - these children are part of your soul, your family...I just can't even believe it!

This is horrific!

I hear ya Rick, but like I said- How you gonna stop it (them) unless you KNOW for sure who's bad..??? Nobody knew this kid was gonna do what he did. That's why, I think the most effective method is to have more deputies or even military (if it had to be that way), inside the schools making their presense known even to outsiders. Even if it's just one or two standing outside of campus grounds too see who goes in and out of the building..........something.

Stricter gun laws would only do so much.. Point is, the low lifes shooting each other or innocent kids, etc. etc. are breaking the law to begin with...so how is enforcing it going to stop them from breaking the law they care nothing about in the first place? It's a situation that is to big to stop. Unless the government does a door to door sweep and confiscates every single firearm from every home and business, you will always have irresponsible people breaking the law and killing someone or something.

I haven't owned a gun since I stopped duck hunting when I was in my 20's. I had a 12 gauge Remmington automatic shot gun. And before that, it was only a Red Rider BB Gun, like Ralphy, from "A Chritsmas Story"..... :D So, I cannot speak on the procedure involved when it comes to buying a gun either at a store or one of those "Gun Shows". Do they do an extensive back ground check on the person before the sale? I would guess so...but to what extent?

He killed his father first and then went to kill his mother.

Based on my occupation and the fact my son is in elementary school currently, I just even believe that someone would do this to these little children, families, teachers who love and teach them daily - it's more than just a job - these children are part of your soul, your family...I just can't even believe it! This is horrific!

Walter I know. My sister is a school psychologist in Phoenix. The number of times her school has been locked down because of threatened violence is horrific.

Archived