Why does Robert feel LZ has to be comparable to its heyday?

mrledhed

... set list from the Myerson below-- grammy songs are gone, gone, gone from the list. Nice list. Just no grammy work. I consider PRTL to be Walking Into Clarksdale.

Please Read the Letter (Jimmy Page & Robert Plant cover)

Rich Woman (Li'l Millet and His Creoles cover)

I can see associating it with WIC, of course, but technically both Please Read the Letter and Rich Woman were on the Raising Sand grammy winning album. At the same time, if you wife wanted all Raising Sand, she would have been very disappointed :)

I don't think Robert is denying what an impact Zep's music has had on his life, nor do I think he is running away from it, or it's ghost. I just think he sees these songs and his writing career in general now as something much different than what Zeppelin was.

On the Charlie Rose interview he mentions Zeppelin twisting the blues in a blender, and that some (Blues purist) may have taken offense at what they did early on. Well, I think they knew then and still now that they could never quite emulate that music and feeling of it, quite the same way as the originators, so why try...the whole thing about music, even if you are influenced by something is to take it further or in another direction..otherwise, it becomes stale (Plant spoke of this in similar context).

He's doing the same exact thing now...taking it all in a new light. Even if it means Black Dog, again.

it was an excuse

25 years of going with me hither and yon to see things she scant cares about, she finally verbalized a reason to stay home. I even offered to go with her to the Josh Groban concert if she went to BOJ... I ended up going anyway. *sigh. I liked the BOJ show here, nice funky and slinky little grooves they were. 23 songs in the set. Not a problem. Plenty of LZ and he even sorta wailed a couple of times.

^ Saw em' at Jazz Fest 2011. (see the New Orleans thread for vids) Killer show...and Jeff Beck was right before him. One idiot/hippy in the front row next to me left with his toothless old lady, because he bitched and moaned how it sucked and wanted to hear Black Dog done 72' style ( I guess)....Totally missed the point of it all. Those people are out there.

it was an excuse

25 years of going with me hither and yon to see things she scant cares about, she finally verbalized a reason to stay home. I even offered to go with her to the Josh Groban concert if she went to BOJ... I ended up going anyway. *sigh. I liked the BOJ show here, nice funky and slinky little grooves they were. 23 songs in the set. Not a problem. Plenty of LZ and he even sorta wailed a couple of times.

LOL...well then probably best you both got what you wanted. I enjoyed the Band of Joy shows I saw as well. Of course, seeing Robert in any circumstances is an experience in and of itself so i just lucked out in that I actually enjoyed the band too.

same here... my wife wouldn't go with me to see BOJ 'coz they were not playing any material from Raising Sand. I cannot name another Grammy Award winner who does not play the Grammy Award winning songs in their current set list. WHAT ? WHY ? HUH?

Why no Raising Sand in the setlist? Talk about distance from the past...

Yeah i see what you mean, any other artist would have to play the grammy material, especially following tour. I liked raising sand and saw one of the shows, same with band of joy, but did not catch a show. That must have been an emotional award for robert plant to have townes van zandt's wife, give him that song, harms swift way, to record.

The thing you said about now and zen, electronic click and whir, was a good description of the digital production and technology on that album. That album was not easy to listen to back then, but i saw two shows and the sound of that band was very good live. Back in the 80s also, i had shaken and stirred on vinyl and just didn't get it, except for little by little. Then again i was still trying to understand the music on carouselambra too. It wasnt until after manic nirvana album and seeing a show, until i finally started to listen to shaken and stirred and appreciate the music. asian and eastern influence and bizarre stuff for rock fans to hear. there is a radio head song, where it builds and gets really chaotic and then a disjointed saxophone breaks in, it sounds like it was lifted or influenced from a song on shaken and stirred. it may have been a keyboard sounding like a sax on the plant record though.

Anyway, good luck to the young current fans of robert plant, because their gonna have a strange trip working backwards listening to all his records.

I stalled another thread with a convoluted post. lol. That section from the plant song i was referring to in above post, from shaken and stirred, was just a free form jazz piece, variation of salt peanuts or something, put over and rhythm where it doesnt fit, angular sounding. I don't remember the song name, or the radiohead song either. Not a good example to express plants variety in his records and his link to led zeppelin and variety in music.

I'm looking forward to the new band of joy album, with the new songs, will be a culmination of raising sand and band of joy efforts. Just like mighty rearranger, after dreamland. Imo robert plant should scale back on the zeppelin songs with his current path,its more interesting to hear other songs, covers, his own past material. I am only catching the stuff on youtube here and there, and see the zeppelin material is working well at the shows. It would be great if he could add another townes song on the new album. I saw a townes van zandt interview on youtube, where he talks about austin being an inspiration for songwriting, it'll be cool to hear that inspiration with robert plant's songwriting.

Right now its unsure the BOJ cd will be released unfortunately. Roberts next album is a Sensational Space Shifters album summer/early fall..also according to LZ's label there are no remasters scheduled for this year yet I dont see them happening for another 2 -3 years in totality

But he has learned how to use what he does have very well...when compared to other artists his age that sing or try to sing in the same register. Plant has made good use of his voice There were actually places on Celebration day where I liked the vox better than the originals and Kashmir was pretty impressive by any standards...I had never seen the bootlegs cuz i dont do boots so when I saw it in the theater I was stunned at how great it really was..same as when I saw BOJ almost...I find Paul McCartney sounds very different live without studio tricks helping him out although maybe...just maybe not Paul the original.Half kidding ...but uncles wife swears she knows somone in on the burial on Sept 12 0r 13th 1966 in Highgate Cemetary in London. I dont care either way and dont want an OT Paul is dead debate-probably garbage... and I am not a BEatles fan at this stage of my life...prefer Buddy Miller or T Bone Burnett or old T Rex to it now. LZ still #1 always...I agree on Robert scaling back the LZ especially Black Dog which is really played out now.

But he has learned how to use what he does have very well...when compared to other artists his age that sing or try to sing in the same register. Plant has made good use of his voice There were actually places on Celebration day where I liked the vox better than the originals and Kashmir was pretty impressive by any standards...I had never seen the bootlegs cuz i dont do boots so when I saw it in the theater I was stunned at how great it really was..same as when I saw BOJ almost...I find Paul McCartney sounds very different live without studio tricks helping him out although maybe...just maybe not Paul the original.Half kidding ...but uncles wife swears she knows somone in on the burial on Sept 12 0r 13th 1966 in Highgate Cemetary in London. I dont care either way and dont want an OT Paul is dead debate-probably garbage... and I am not a BEatles fan at this stage of my life...prefer Buddy Miller or T Bone Burnett or old T Rex to it now. LZ still #1 always...I agree on Robert scaling back the LZ especially Black Dog which is really played out now.

Id still like to see it too...Mick doesnt even try to be on the right notes since Bridges to Babaylon...but they still line up to buy tickets...better than lypsyncing like many acts out there...

Ive always thought the Paul lookalike they replaced the original Paul with had lower cheekbones than the one in the pictures...just like when they faked the death of Elvis and the Moon Landing...the government doesnt f*** arround...lol.

The only part of that short Charlie Rose interview which matters is from the 8 minute point owards. Look at the body language, the rolling of the eyes, the side ways glance, the hand tapping - Jones and Page wanted it to be about the future, while Robert was pretending it could not be about the future. Also look how Jones was the first to say that Zeppelin were the best, and Page follows it up quickly as well, while Robert pretends that Zeppelin were no more special or different from any shite band from England.

I got the exact same vibe from this part of the interview as you did; I guess that makes us Plant bashers on here. :rolleyes:

Maybe they were just frustrated the ? about future came up yet again...Page and Plant at least looked to be getting along quite well in most of these interviews... @ Darren-Paul's height did go from 5'11 to 6'2 in 6 months but they were probably just screwing around with people....maybe my aunt's source is a drunken old caretaker who knows...I'd love to know if the grave with pseudonym she told me exists though with the dates correct...speaking of graves I think LZ gave all they can as a group...amd maybe if u KNOW u were the best there's no reason to say it. They know...we know...the critics well- they change every decade.. Also maybe I yield cuz I don't read body language as well as others...I am just happy they put the 07 show out cuz I thought I'd never see that after 3-4 years went by.

Wait u think we REALLY went to the moon?:)

I got the exact same vibe from this part of the interview as you did; I guess that makes us Plant bashers on here. :rolleyes:

I'm sure for Robert it is difficult knowing that as talented as he is, his music is not at the same level of inspiration as Zeppelin, and as a solo artist I'm sure that bothers him – I get it, we are human after all. But he did bring it on himself in some ways by treating his PAYING audience as scum around 1985'ish and people don't forget that stuff, and it is something he will have to deal with. Turning your back to the audience, talking down to them, scowling at them, introducing songs by talking about how shitty the town is he is playing in and so on does tend to rub people the wrong way.

I enjoyed the BOJ and Alison concerts as much as anything I have seen...the 80's were a messed up decade and I dont think he is anything like that now...maybe he was as drunk as I was in that decade(not good) ..speaking of that I watched his complete videos dvd and man , he had some bad 80's hair! but I have enjoyed his solo career since Zen and Now. the crowds were smiling when I saw him but I dont doubt u..the early 80's were really not the best for Jimmy or Robert and JPJ playing in McCartney's Give my Regards ro Broadstreet ...at one point doing Silly Love Songs dressed like a cat or something didnt help him any...let us never recall the 80's again:)

I enjoyed the BOJ and Alison concerts as much as anything I have seen...the 80's were a messed up decade and I dont think he is anything like that now...maybe he was as drunk as I was in that decade(not good) ..speaking of that I watched his complete videos dvd and man , he had some bad 80's hair! but I have enjoyed his solo career since Zen and Now. the crowds were smiling when I saw him but I dont doubt u..the early 80's were really not the best for Jimmy or Robert and JPJ playing in McCartney's Give my Regards ro Broadstreet ...at one point doing Silly Love Songs dressed like a cat or something didnt help him any...let us never recall the 80's again:)

Always said the 80's were a musical desert.

Also not to stay OT but with the MJ and Townshend topic opened up...well I would have to question 1 member of LZ's choices for company in the early days I still have a tough time with it- but don't think it bears mentioning...by today's standards that person would be seen as an abuser/molester too. And God, the 80's were a desert indeed...we had the Who still for while...again minus an irreplaceable drummer...ummmm...thats all I can remember.

I'm sure for Robert it is difficult knowing that as talented as he is, his music is not at the same level of inspiration as Zeppelin, and as a solo artist I'm sure that bothers him – I get it, we are human after all. But he did bring it on himself in some ways by treating his PAYING audience as scum around 1985'ish and people don't forget that stuff, and it is something he will have to deal with. Turning your back to the audience, talking down to them, scowling at them, introducing songs by talking about how shitty the town is he is playing in and so on does tend to rub people the wrong way.

The 80s were the disco decade, no? I truly hated that stuff. Seems to me some good music was being made in places though, if you turned a blind eye to the hair and costumes. It was a good decade to be distracted by raising kids.

As for your comment about Robert feeling antagonistic toward his audience, Van Morrison liked to turn his back on his audience as well and I consider him an amazing talent. Musicians I know who love making and playing music do it whether they have an audience or not. If your ego depends upon being overwhelmingly applauded, if you equate or tailor your creativity to mass appeal and acceptance, that is truly sad.

As for your comment about Robert feeling antagonistic toward his audience, Van Morrison liked to turn his back on his audience as well and I consider him an amazing talent. Musicians I know who love making and playing music do it whether they have an audience or not. If your ego depends upon being overwhelmingly applauded, if you equate or tailor your creativity to mass appeal and acceptance, that is truly sad.

I posted that story re Plant in Manchester. His attitude the whole night for the 1st show was rude and aloof.Now this is from memory, and I have a pretty good memory. He introduced a song and got it wrong. A few chuckles went up and some woops and shouts. Plant quickly retorted " He walks, he talks, he poops!!" Stone faced - no humour at all. He slagged my city off saying basically it is "worse than Detroit" ( respect to people who live in Detroit) and he has bad memories of The Twisted Wheel ( a soul club).

Gone were witty Plantations and as this was his first show solo in Manchester (besides the Honeydrippers Manchester Poly show in 81) it was like Zeppelin never had happened. When someone shouted "Stairway" he ripped "Piss Off". Now I know this was Plant solo but you can hardly blame anyone for shouting a Zeppelin tune as this was possibly the first time many had seen him live.

It didn't get any better the 2nd night. I was frankly bored and I suspect he was too. He walked back on for a 2nd encore, waived as if he was the Queen and walked off. Sorry but not what the packed crowd wanted.

Forward on until 1988. Pages outrider show was outstanding. New stuff and oldies but goodies. 'nuff said

I posted that story re Plant in Manchester. His attitude the whole night for the 1st show was rude and aloof.Now this is from memory, and I have a pretty good memory. He introduced a song and got it wrong. A few chuckles went up and some woops and shouts. Plant quickly retorted " He walks, he talks, he poops!!" Stone faced - no humour at all. He slagged my city off saying basically it is "worse than Detroit" ( respect to people who live in Detroit) and he has bad memories of The Twisted Wheel ( a soul club).

Gone were witty Plantations and as this was his first show solo in Manchester (besides the Honeydrippers Manchester Poly show in 81) it was like Zeppelin never had happened. When someone shouted "Stairway" he ripped "Piss Off". Now I know this was Plant solo but you can hardly blame anyone for shouting a Zeppelin tune as this was possibly the first time many had seen him live.

It didn't get any better the 2nd night. I was frankly bored and I suspect he was too. He walked back on for a 2nd encore, waived as if he was the Queen and walked off. Sorry but not what the packed crowd wanted.

Forward on until 1988. Pages outrider show was outstanding. New stuff and oldies but goodies. 'nuff said

Well he was in a mood. That was not the way to connect with an audience. Considering he's from an area just south of Manchester, you'd think he'd have more an affinity to the north, be more at ease. That sort of performance would put me right off supporting an artist. You can enjoy great music apart from an artist's unpleasant personality, but it shades your opinion of the music eventually. For me, anyway.

^ Maybe Plant just found out the town mayor was banging his girlfriend and took it out on the audience? Who knows, we all have bad days, not that that excuses such behaviour. When I saw him in 85' in Phoenix he was very cordial to the audience, even accepting roses from a woman in the audience and giving her a hug and a kiss. Now believe me, if there is one town that deserves to be slagged its Phoenix...this place really is a shithole. I should have left years ago but, that is another story.

Personally, I am glad Plant refused to regroup with Page & Jones. I am of the ilk that these old rockers need to move on, to me it looks silly to have 60 - 70 year olds up on stage trying to act like 20 yr olds. Reminds me of the 40 - 50ish moms wearing Juicy, Pink, and skinny jeans. It is just wrong.

^ Maybe Plant just found out the town mayor was banging his girlfriend and took it out on the audience? Who knows, we all have bad days, not that that excuses such behaviour. When I saw him in 85' in Phoenix he was very cordial to the audience, even accepting roses from a woman in the audience and giving her a hug and a kiss. Now believe me, if there is one town that deserves to be slagged its Phoenix...this place really is a shithole. I should have left years ago but, that is another story.

Personally, I am glad Plant refused to regroup with Page & Jones. I am of the ilk that these old rockers need to move on, to me it looks silly to have 60 - 70 year olds up on stage trying to act like 20 yr olds. Reminds me of the 40 - 50ish moms wearing Juicy, Pink, and skinny jeans. It is just wrong.

I had that same thought about age and rocking out when I saw Celebration Day. I couldn't have told you what Plant and Page looked like back in '73 until I saw this forum, but it was a huge shock to see them in that film. Thing is, it's still their music and music that we all still like at whatever age we are. The image of a 70 year old trying to recreate his youth is a weird image in theory, but they were age appropriate dressed and didn't exude the attitude they once had. I for one never liked the bare chested thing they were into. There is a time when you hang up the mini skirts, even if the legs are still in good shape.

Right now its unsure the BOJ cd will be released unfortunately. Roberts next album is a Sensational Space Shifters album summer/early fall..also according to LZ's label there are no remasters scheduled for this year yet I dont see them happening for another 2 -3 years in totality

Just wondering where you found the information on the Sensational Space Shifters album? I've personally thought it was really strange that considering there is supposed to be this album, in addition to several others mentioned, the group has not done a single new number at any of their shows. Even with Band of Joy he was doing numbers from the album prior to its release but he hasn't done any with the Sensational Space Shifters and that seems odd if they have all this album work done so it's interesting to hear some seemingly concrete release date information.

Welll heck I have looked all over for the link... He said he had 11 new SSSS songs and 1 cover and "nothing sentimental" on it but I cant find it. Ill be happy with either one-that or BOJ...it is indeed a good ? as to if that is true why they have played nothing new...This is almost Mighty Rearranger tour II ...we'll see but again also slightly OT I dont see the Zep remasters coming out in 2013 unless it is one box set. Best bet is a new Plant cd

Oh okay. I saw that interview. I just thought maybe something new had been said that I wasn't aware of. I too will be happy with whatever is brought out :) I just thought it was weird that if the group had a new cd with all new songs they wouldn't at least be trying one or two out on the crowds, but I guess we'll just wait and see what is released. From what I've heard there are a few albums done so who really knows what's going to be released. As long as he's putting out quality music I guess it doesn't really matter anyway. I have no idea on the remasters either. Now that Jimmy's a model it's anyone's guess :-D

Archived