Why does Robert feel LZ has to be comparable to its heyday?

mrledhed

Listening to these recent interviews it seems Robert wants LZ to be remembered as hard rock act, with him singing in such a way that he's "expected".

Does he feel that LZ has a "sound" to it? To me, the music is about experimentation and trying out different genres. I do not consider one record or song to be representative of the LZ sound. In fact, I find it disturbing that they chose the same old songs for the O2 concert (rather than ones they haven't tried before), with Robert trying to sing them the way he did in the early years.

I find it sad if he feels that's expected of him. As far as I'm concerned LZ is not a "hard rock" band, but a group that tried out different genres. I do not consider the sound on the first record to be better than ITTOD, it was just different.

They just want to be remembered for what they were. You see all these other rock bands, some doing good, some...well not so much. Some bands legacy's have been tarnished and they have become irrelevant, living as a shell of their former selves. Take Deep Purple as an example. Let us say that after the Tommy Bolin era it was put to rest for good, no more Purple. They would of been remembered as a hell of a band that had some different lineups, but now it's pretty much tarnished with the new stuff. When was the last time Purple broke new ground, really? Led Zeppelin would of just been running around in circles post 1980 really if you ask me. If the reunions are anything to show, it wouldn't of been too hot (2007 aside, that was great, but they had plenty of time to clean up their act and such by then). Plus, very rarely when a band member dies can you really keep on going as your old self. Because of Led Zeppelins decision to not continue on, they will be forever remembered as one of the giants who walked the earth. Try to find a Led Zeppelin song that isn't all too great, there are a few that aren't so hot, but they are few and far between, whereas most other bands are mostly meh.

They just want to be remembered for what they were. You see all these other rock bands, some doing good, some...well not so much. Some bands legacy's have been tarnished and they have become irrelevant, living as a shell of their former selves. Take Deep Purple as an example. Let us say that after the Tommy Bolin era it was put to rest for good, no more Purple. They would of been remembered as a hell of a band that had some different lineups, but now it's pretty much tarnished with the new stuff. When was the last time Purple broke new ground, really? Led Zeppelin would of just been running around in circles post 1980 really if you ask me. If the reunions are anything to show, it wouldn't of been too hot (2007 aside, that was great, but they had plenty of time to clean up their act and such by then). Plus, very rarely when a band member dies can you really keep on going as your old self. Because of Led Zeppelins decision to not continue on, they will be forever remembered as one of the giants who walked the earth. Try to find a Led Zeppelin song that isn't all too great, there are a few that aren't so hot, but they are few and far between, whereas most other bands are mostly meh.

Right on.. Very astute.

Deep Purple had a legendary status when they were inactive (1976-1984). They even retained it for a while when they reunited for Perfect Strangers, which was a great great album. But, gradually they lost that and became just another very good active hard rock band... which is fine, but it hurt the legacy..

Led Zeppelin and The Beatles are really the only ones I can think of who kept their stature after they ended... (I'm sure there are others)..not only did they keep the legacy intact, it's bigger now than ever.

The original Black Sabbath has too I suppose. We'll see what happens after this new album is released

It would seem they would all like their credibility along with the "legacy" kept intact.

Why single him out?

The only thing he has ever said was, "I'm not that guy anymore" and he isn't.

He is 65 and how anyone would expect him or JP and JPJ to be what they were like back in the day is unrealistic.

As for being comparable to their heyday, in what way?

They have often admitted that their performances were sometimes very good even brilliant and on occasion, awful.

In any profession you're only as good as your last performance and that is what you'll always be remembered for.

They proved they could still rock in 2007 and that was 5 years ago (some 27 years after they disbanded) and the time passed since then is equal to half of the original band's lifetime.

The Who are only a shadow of the band they once were, especially since Moon and more recently Entwhistle have gone.

Daltry is not the singer he once was either and if they want to continue to play on, good for them, if not that's fine too.

IMO the Stones have never given themselves the opportunity to be "missed", except for a time back in the day when they briefly "broke up" because of a "falling out" between Jagger and Richards, they have consistently been out there touring, for better or worse.

I'm glad they had the integrity to not cash in on their name after Bonzo left and the fact they get criticised for it leaves me in disbelief at how selfish some are.

Led Zeppelin's legacy is the music and performances that we've had the opportunity to enjoy.

Why spoil it?

Well I think he means it more in terms that the whole thing was happening spontaneously then and that the adition of Bonzo was crucial and revisiting that without total dedication and revisiting it by force,

would just not make really good results and you don't even have to compare them to the old concerts and it's also enough that the band members themselves feel it's not that good or the same and already they don't want to be there, at least one of them and that does not have to mean his voice is not the same, because in many ways it is, it also means he has moved on!!

Robert is an expert at coming up with excuses why Zeppelin must not come back together. His last interview on Charlie Rose where Jones and Page look away in disgust was clear for all to see with Robert's line of, and I'm paraphrasing here 'I want to create new exciting music' , luckily Page or Jones didn't dump their bottles of water all over Robert at that point - I'm sure Jones and Page want to create new and exciting music as well.

Listening to these recent interviews it seems Robert wants LZ to be remembered as hard rock act, with him singing in such a way that he's "expected".

Does he feel that LZ has a "sound" to it? To me, the music is about experimentation and trying out different genres. I do not consider one record or song to be representative of the LZ sound. In fact, I find it disturbing that they chose the same old songs for the O2 concert (rather than ones they haven't tried before), with Robert trying to sing them the way he did in the early years.

I find it sad if he feels that's expected of him. As far as I'm concerned LZ is not a "hard rock" band, but a group that tried out different genres. I do not consider the sound on the first record to be better than ITTOD, it was just different.

What it really comes down to despite Robert saying otherwise, is that he has ZERO interest in being a permanent member of a band, he wants to be the leader and march 100% to his own drummer, and has no interest in what he perceives as compromise despite the fact that input from others may make for better songs and therefore compromise a warranted and useful thing for artistic discovery. His direct insults at Jones and Page with both right there in front of him during the Charlie Rose interview 2 weeks ago was proof of that. I thought the interview went well for Robert in that he walked out of it without 2 people dumping bottles of water all over him…And yes, In Through the Out Door is just as good as any Zeppelin album - not worse, not better, just different

Seriously Page is the best I am not mocking him More the idea that 3 grown men cant go their separate ways musically and still respect each other....I was embarrassed for Paul McCartney at the Olympics and never want to see Zep get to the point where Page is slowed down...Plant's voice cant go to the same places etc. If I was Robert, BTW I'd prefer to be with Patty Griffin as much as possible too! I don't delve into their personal livess because it doesnt matter re the music, but I am not sure if Jimmy ever had the kind of long term relationship that may have made him want to settle down a bit...really we'll never know but at 49 and happily married(again) for 10 years now I don't want to do the fun things I did in my 20's ever again.... and the whole Bonzo thing is an added dimension.....Its not even fair to Jason to expect him to be a full time replacement- and Jason IS an excellent drummer. Celebration Day and some well done remasters/extras would be a nice cap on the band's time together. People have every right to their feelings but i think waiting for a tour of any kind for LZ is time that could be better spent. And yes Celebration Day kills...what a great package to leave us with.

I think there is something to be said for the connection to an era in which a band breaks and makes its mark. When Zep began performing in the US, it was a time of particular change and turmoil. The time was right for their music, and they were a part of those times as much as their music was. Some bands reform and go on to evolve, but more often they, as any work of art or book, are inextricably attached to and associated with their heyday. In a similar way it's like anyone trying to reconnect to the magic of a golden time in their life. This is not to say that classic songs and performances don't endure; it's a kick to see old footage of Zep back in the day and to hear that music again. Their perform as documented in Celebration Day was wonderful, but for me it wasn't anything like seeing them back in the day because part of the equation is where your head was at back then.

i love zeppelin more than the next guy but I think they are a little pompous. They take themselvers very seriously. Robert is always talking about how he wants to move on but then performs zep tunes at all his solo shows. So all these answers that they give in interviews are just a smoke screen for the real sitch. It is our fault--we the fans--we wanted somethjing to believe in and as they are getting older they don't want to let the true believrs down.

stupid bloody blokes like myself considering them gods....in the end they are just people....

This whole greatist rock band in rock n roll history is stupid...to me they were bigger than rock n roll itself...they were something totally differnt having to do with energy and emotion...

it's hard to live up to the hype when your pushing 70 so you become conceited.

I love them though

^^....maybe we're looking at different groups here, but I don't think the band has ever taken themselves that seriously - professionals, yes but stuck-up pompous 'human' beings as you put it...sorry, I don't see it.

And what you see as 'conceit', I see as a group of men who are darn proud of what they achieved in their lifetime together. It was magic then, and as Plant has said numerous times (much to the chagrin of stubborn fans who refuse to see where he's coming from), re-capturing what they had back then is going to be next to impossible.

Robert is an expert at coming up with excuses why Zeppelin must not come back together. His last interview on Charlie Rose where Jones and Page look away in disgust was clear for all to see with Robert's line of, and I'm paraphrasing here 'I want to create new exciting music' , luckily Page or Jones didn't dump their bottles of water all over Robert at that point - I'm sure Jones and Page want to create new and exciting music as well.

What is your problem with Robert?? He also stated that they are his soul partners in a big chunk of their creative lives together..his buddies and friends.

I stayed away from here for a few weeks for the most part because of shit like this! For the record, Page and Jones did go on to create great and exciting music. All 4 of them were lightening in a bottle, extremely talented, above the rest.

I also agree with JPJ in that as they got bigger and started playing the big venues it wasn't the same IMHO.

ddot, I am a loyal fan and have been since 1969, saw them live the first time in 73..and yes it was an emotional journey to see them live. Then to listen to the albums when the music was new was beyond exciting. I still get chills on so many of the songs and this is over 4 decades, so I don't see that changing anytime soon.. I do not consider them conceited in any way. In fact I find them to be the opposite!!

If anything Robert and JPJ seem to be just as happy to play for 100 or 5000 people. Yes, Robert does Zeppelin songs, but he puts a twist on them, and whether you like the way they sound or not is your business. Then there is Jimmy..IMHO, the best guitarist in the world and I would love to see him again on a stage. The man is a musical genius.

This is not the 70's anymore. They have changed, the industry has changed. There is so much to factor in this. All I know is that anytime I get a chance to see any of them on stage I am there! I love them all because their music is a part of me unlike any other band. I can take every song they have done and it has a memory for me in my life and for that I am forever grateful.

I don't feel as though they are a hard rock band as there is so many different variations to their music. I'll just agree with Jack Black--"BEST BAND EVER" !!!

Look at this past year alone, they accomplished a lot.

oh I did't say stuck up pompous human beings...I said a little pompous ....anyway i didn't mean that..what I was trying to say is that they live in the limelight as it were..and all that shining light tends to tarnish ones perspective ..I'm sure they are very down to earth---still

It's just that I wonder if while sitting with the president or going to Oslo to pick up this award or that one....you know

In the old days it seamed they just did what they wanted to and it was good....now they are more concerned with what they should be doing

anyway pure speculation on my part...I don't know them.....and like i have stated over and over again...i have always idolized them...

I cant see how with millions of adoring fans one cant get a little pompous from time to time?

I have been a fan since 1970 and appreciate the hell out of all they did from their beginning until today. Robert,Jimmy and John Paul Jones may not always agree on everything lately but their bond will never be broken. Led Zeppelin is the biggest thing to come out of the late 60s right up to this day,As I have said many times "Led Zeppelin" "Then,Now and Always. Led Zeppelin music will stand the test of time long after we are gone.

"The tail should never wag the dog. If we're capable of doing something in our own time, that will be what will happen. So any inane questions from people who are in from syndicated outlets you should just really think about what it takes to answer a question like that in one second. We know what we got. Que sera...Robert Plant

oh I did't say stuck up pompous human beings...I said a little pompous ....anyway i didn't mean that..what I was trying to say is that they live in the limelight as it were..and all that shining light tends to tarnish ones perspective ..I'm sure they are very down to earth---still

It's just that I wonder if while sitting with the president or going to Oslo to pick up this award or that one....you know

In the old days it seamed they just did what they wanted to and it was good....now they are more concerned with what they should be doing

anyway pure speculation on my part...I don't know them.....and like i have stated over and over again...i have always idolized them...

I cant see how with millions of adoring fans one cant get a little pompous from time to time?

If you went to see Robert live and he didn't do any Zep songs would you feel short changed and then be pompous about wanting to hear him sing Zep tunes? When he first toured as a " solo" artist he didn't play Zep tunes and people moaned about it, then when he did play them people moaned about it cos Jimmy wasn't there on guitar. Then when he and Jimmy did get together people moaned that JPJ wasn't there and how could they play Zep tunes without him and Bonzo and it " wasn't Led Zeppelin" If Jimmy tours will you want him to play only new stuff, Outrider stuff, Coverdale/Page stuff only? I would bet no to that. And do you want Robert to play and tour if his heart wasn't in it which could have been the case if they had toured ( we all would hope differently but may never know). But some of us are happy to see him doing what he enjoys doing. The same is said for both Jimmy and JPJ. Leave the too expensive to see arena/stadium stuff to the Stones. The O2 was their swansong and if that's their final live epitaph it still knocked seven shades of shit out of any other band.

If you went to see Robert live and he didn't do any Zep songs would you feel short changed and then be pompous about wanting to hear him sing Zep tunes? When he first toured as a " solo" artist he didn't play Zep tunes and people moaned about it, then when he did play them people moaned about it cos Jimmy wasn't there on guitar. Then when he and Jimmy did get together people moaned that JPJ wasn't there and how could they play Zep tunes without him and Bonzo and it " wasn't Led Zeppelin" If Jimmy tours will you want him to play only new stuff, Outrider stuff, Coverdale/Page stuff only? I would bet no to that. And do you want Robert to play and tour if his heart wasn't in it which could have been the case if they had toured ( we all would hope differently but may never know). But some of us are happy to see him doing what he enjoys doing. The same is said for both Jimmy and JPJ. Leave the too expensive to see arena/stadium stuff to the Stones. The O2 was their swansong and if that's their final live epitaph it still knocked seven shades of shit out of any other band.

Good post and you are correct. I saw Robert Plant the first time in 1985-no Zep songs live and then The Firm 1985 & 1986 -no Zep songs live. It wasn't until I saw them on their tours in 1988 that they started playing the Zep songs-but I was happy in all situations- just to see them live was good enough for me. :D

I saw Robert on the I'm in the mood for a melody tour and he did a couple zep tunes, maybe 82 0r 3, Phil Collins on drums, his guitarist Robbie was real good. I really liked the first 2 solo albums.

Principal of Moments

some artists do work and never look back

Archived