Jimmy Attended The Wembley Journey Show

kenog

In practical terms, would Jimmy get his management to request a backstage pass from concert promoters when he wants to attend? It would be embarrassing if any request was turned down. Perhaps the performer doesn't want that particular individual. (I know this is probably a dumb question, but you are possibly one of the few on here who would be able to confirm how the system works in detail).

Count me as one of them.

Gosh Kenog I expect it is different almost every time. If Jimmy was speaking to DC and he said "Are you coming to the show?" and got a positive response, DC would get his Tour Manager to ensure the the promoter's rep added his name plus any additional guests to the guestlist. If someone like Jimmy wanted to go to a gig by an artist he didn't know personally, then he would probably have someone contact their promoters. As you probably know many folk in the music business work on several different tours throughout a year so there's also the scenario of a friend coming into town with a tour and asking, for example, Jimmy if he wants to come down and say Hi. In all instances the guestlist eventually makes it's way to the promoter's rep who sends it to the box office. Does that answer your question? If someone who is on a guestlist is not really that welcome to actually encounter the artist, there are many ways of making sure that doesn't happen - there's several different classes of "passes" at any one gig :)

Knebby,

Thanks so much, it is a much more comprehensive answer than I was expecting! :thumbsup: What if it was some complete 'z' lister who made the request, like Jordan, or one these reality show nonentities? Do you think it is likely that if they have been given a pass, irrespective of level, that it could be rescinded with a diplomatic excuse? I am fascinated as to how the music industry works on a practical level.

I found the footage of the Wings Tour that Sam posted yesterday to be so interesting because it shows what the scene is like backstage at a gig.

Gosh Kenog I expect it is different almost every time. If Jimmy was speaking to DC and he said "Are you coming to the show?" and got a positive response, DC would get his Tour Manager to ensure the the promoter's rep added his name plus any additional guests to the guestlist. If someone like Jimmy wanted to go to a gig by an artist he didn't know personally, then he would probably have someone contact their promoters. As you probably know many folk in the music business work on several different tours throughout a year so there's also the scenario of a friend coming into town with a tour and asking, for example, Jimmy if he wants to come down and say Hi. In all instances the guestlist eventually makes it's way to the promoter's rep who sends it to the box office. Does that answer your question? If someone who is on a guestlist is not really that welcome to actually encounter the artist, there are many ways of making sure that doesn't happen - there's several different classes of "passes" at any one gig :)

Knebby,

Thanks so much, it is a much more comprehensive answer than I was expecting! :thumbsup: What if it was some complete 'z' lister who made the request, like Jordan, or one these reality show nonentities? Do you think it is likely that if they have been given a pass, irrespective of level, that it could be rescinded with a diplomatic excuse? I am fascinated as to how the music industry works on a practical level.

I found the footage of the Wings Tour that Sam posted yesterday to be so interesting because it shows what the scene is like backstage at a gig.

Again it would really come down to the individual show, and who made the request - and why. Giving out passes and tickets can be a diplomatic thing - better to be nice than not. But then once the person is at the gig you can still keep them away from the artist - for example Kate Moss and two of her model colleagues had passes to see Page and Plant in New Jersey but were refused entry to the dressing room area. I should also add that it would seldom, if ever, be the case that someone like Jimmy would not have their arrival at the gig planned in advance, eg making sure that they already have their passes and journey-through-the evening arranged to enable them to enjoy a gig without getting too much hassle. For example, when Noel Gallagher (I know, I know, I wouldn't compare him to JP - but just for example!) was due at a Kasabian gig a couple of years ago, extra security were sent to meet him at the stage door and the backstage corridor was cleared to allow him access to a private balcony for the evening. Also having said that, sometimes a mega-star can watch a gig with no hassle at all by just arriving after the houselights are down and keeping it low key - a la Plant at many Stray Cats gigs in the 80s and 90s, I've also stood next to Jeff Beck at a Brian Setzer gig in LA and Mick Jagger at a Fabulous Thunderbirds gig in London, I know loads of people who have done similar too :). Bet you've spotted a few in your time!

Quite a few people not very impressed with Journey on this tour.

oh wow,really,that is to bad

For me Journey ended when Steve Perry was fired from the band, no Steve, no Journey, I don't care how much the new guy sounds like him. Also, I believe Neal Schon and Ross Valory are the only original members left in the band. Cain came from the Baby's and I never really liked much Journey post Gregg Rolie, to pop'ish to my ears.

I guess I never knew he was fired,wow

For me Journey ended when Steve Perry was fired from the band, no Steve, no Journey, I don't care how much the new guy sounds like him. Also, I believe Neal Schon and Ross Valory are the only original members left in the band. Cain came from the Baby's and I never really liked much Journey post Gregg Rolie, to pop'ish to my ears.

Again it would really come down to the individual show, and who made the request - and why. Giving out passes and tickets can be a diplomatic thing - better to be nice than not. But then once the person is at the gig you can still keep them away from the artist - for example Kate Moss and two of her model colleagues had passes to see Page and Plant in New Jersey but were refused entry to the dressing room area. I should also add that it would seldom, if ever, be the case that someone like Jimmy would not have their arrival at the gig planned in advance, eg making sure that they already have their passes and journey-through-the evening arranged to enable them to enjoy a gig without getting too much hassle. For example, when Noel Gallagher (I know, I know, I wouldn't compare him to JP - but just for example!) was due at a Kasabian gig a couple of years ago, extra security were sent to meet him at the stage door and the backstage corridor was cleared to allow him access to a private balcony for the evening. Also having said that, sometimes a mega-star can watch a gig with no hassle at all by just arriving after the houselights are down and keeping it low key - a la Plant at many Stray Cats gigs in the 80s and 90s, I've also stood next to Jeff Beck at a Brian Setzer gig in LA and Mick Jagger at a Fabulous Thunderbirds gig in London, I know loads of people who have done similar too :). Bet you've spotted a few in your time!

Thanks so much for this, Knebby. I too am very impressed. I had no idea this is how it would have to be done if Jimmy wanted to see another artist. :D

They were supposed to tour for Trial by Fire but Perry injured his hip while hiking. This required hip replacement surgery which he was reticent to undergo, so the band forced the issue and told him to have the surgery and get on with it or he would be replaced. Perry was not happy and felt the band was trying to force him to make a medical decision he was not ready for so he refused and they replaced him. So maybe fired is not the correct word, it was more of a mutual separation.

For me Journey ended when Steve Perry was fired from the band, no Steve, no Journey, I don't care how much the new guy sounds like him.

Not to hijack, but I feel the same way regarding the Eagles and Don Felder. At least when Page and Plant toured they weren't disrespectful enough to call it "Led Zeppelin"!

Not to hijack, but I feel the same way regarding the Eagles and Don Felder. At least when Page and Plant toured they weren't disrespectful enough to call it "Led Zeppelin"!

Felder? I'd say Henley, Frey, and Walsh ARE the Eagles. What about Randy Meisner? :)

Felder? I'd say Henley, Frey, and Walsh ARE the Eagles. What about Randy Meisner? :)

Meisner's high harmonies were a huge part of their sound, and Felder made more contributions over a longer period of time than Walsh did, even though I love Walsh! Joe's a killer lead guitarist but song-wise was only notable for contributing Pretty Maids All In A Row, and the riff for Life in the Fast Lane.

Again, sorry for hijacking! Back to bashing Journey!

It was news to me as well. I loved Steve Perry's voice and had assumed he just was tired of touring, etc. Some of my musical snob friends dismissed Journey as "stadium rock" during the 1980's but the one time I saw them live they put on a damn good show.

I know Neal is a huge Page fan, during his one man solo on the Raised on Radio Tour in 86' he played a few snippets from live D&C sections. I could not believe it when he did this and I guess there were many Zeppelin fans in attendance because quite a large number of the audience went ape shit when he played this, about two minuets worth I believe. IMO Schon is one of the best techniacal guitar players out there, never a bum note and he can improvise. My only problem with his style per se is it can be too technical and not very emotional. He is also the fastest player I believe, I am pretty sure he can blow away both Vai & Satriani in both the speed and technical ability departments. He is truly an amazing player. I did meet him once during a club tour in 92', he was a bit of an arrogant dick and came across as having "short man syndrome," very touchy kind of guy. Who knows, maybe he was having a bad day, I give him the benefit of the doubt.

I know Neal is a huge Page fan, during his one man solo on the Raised on Radio Tour in 86' he played a few snippets from live D&C sections. I could not believe it when he did this and I guess there were many Zeppelin fans in attendance because quite a large number of the audience went ape shit when he played this, about two minuets worth I believe. IMO Schon is one of the best techniacal guitar players out there, never a bum note and he can improvise. My only problem with his style per se is it can be too technical and not very emotional. He is also the fastest player I believe, I am pretty sure he can blow away both Vai & Satriani in both the speed and technical ability departments. He is truly an amazing player. I did meet him once during a club tour in 92', he was a bit of an arrogant dick and came across as having "short man syndrome," very touchy kind of guy. Who knows, maybe he was having a bad day, I give him the benefit of the doubt.

I read once that Miles Davis cautioned Carlos Santana not to bring Schon into his band because, "There's only room for one virtuoso guitarist on that stage, and that's you!" Neal can play, no doubt.

Thanks so much for this, Knebby. I too am very impressed. I had no idea this is how it would have to be done if Jimmy wanted to see another artist. :D

You're kind, but I'm careful not to speak on Jimmy's behalf -what I talked about is pretty much the normal procedure, he may have a totally different routine established for his many gig outings - maybe Ross sorts it all for him ;)

Sorry to hijack again

You're kind, but I'm careful not to speak on Jimmy's behalf -what I talked about is pretty much the normal procedure, he may have a totally different routine established for his many gig outings - maybe Ross sorts it all for him ;)

Sorry to hijack again

Thanks. I am glad you did. It sounds like a lot for him to do everytime he wants see someone else. :)

Archived