The Rush Thread

Dance the Crunge

Hi All,

You should try "Archives" if you can still get it, the first three albums in one pack.

Rush:

1. "Finding My Way"

2. "Need Some Love"

3. "Take a Friend"

4. "Here Again"

5. "What You're Doing"

6. "In the Mood"

7. "Before and After"

8. "Working Man"

Fly by Night:

1. "Anthem"

2. "Best I Can"

3. "Beneath, Between & Behind"

4. "By-Tor & The Snow Dog"

5. "Fly by Night"

6. "Making Memories"

7. "Rivendell"

8. "In the End"

Caress of Steel:

1. "Bastille Day"

2. "I Think I'm Going Bald"

3. "Lakeside Park"

4. "The Necromancer"

* "Into Darkness"

* "Under the Shadow"

* "Return of the Prince"

5. "The Fountain of Lamneth"

* "In the Valley"

* "Didacts and Narpets"

* "No One at the Bridge"

* "Panacea"

* "Baccus Plateau"

* "The Fountain"

These with 2112 are my favourite Rush Albums.

Regards, Danny

RUSH's Founding Drummer JOHN RUTSEY Dead At 55

Jason Ward of Q107 Classic Rock reports that John Rutsey, a founding member of Toronto rock band RUSH, passed away this weekend according to RUSH management company Anthem Entertainment. He was 55.

Rutsey was famous for playing on RUSH's 1974 debut album, including the song "In The Mood", before deciding to leave the group due to health concerns. Rutsey suffered from diabetes and was unable to go on extended tours with the group.

Rutsey was replaced by dummer Neil Peart, which marked a turning point in the band’s sound towards progressive rock.

Read more at Q107 Classic Rock.

I saw Rush in 74 with this guy. I think it was their first US tour. They opened for Rory Gallagher at the old Michigan Theater in Detroit. Gotta say i wasn't impressed with them at the time. I changed my mind later on, especially when they added Neil Peart.

I'm beginning to think that Al is rich and has seen every band known to man in concert. I feel not worthy...

In other news, I listened to Fly By Night, it was pretty good. I haven't listened to their debut, but I probably should in memory of Rutsey. I'm listening to Caress of Steel now. First listen too

I saw Rush in Reno the weekend before last (thanks to members here who encouraged me to go :) ). And I was BLOWN AWAYYYYY, it was one of the best concerts I have ever been too. I even had a little epiphany towards the end. Feeling the pounding bass coursing through my veins for 3 hrs (we had great seats right up close to Geddy), I thought "this feels like being in the womb again, hearing the constant reassuring beat of my mother's heart" and I felt like, YES! this is my natural environment, this is where I belong, in this room with the fantastic sounds of Rush.

Here's a couple of pics to give you an idea of our seat location:

RushConcertinReno078.jpg

RushConcertinReno032.jpg

Geddy with "the newest member of the band, My Little Friend"

And here's one taken from the screen that makes me feel all warm & bubbly inside:

RushConcertinReno071.jpg

Lots of Rush for me last week. I have to say that their more hard rock stuff (like Fly By Night and such) is pretty good. I was surprised how seriously kick ass "All The World's A Stage" was. "Signals" was good too. So much synth! I might listen to Grace Under Pressure later today.

I saw Rush in Reno the weekend before last (thanks to members here who encouraged me to go :) ). And I was BLOWN AWAYYYYY, it was one of the best concerts I have ever been too. I even had a little epiphany towards the end. Feeling the pounding bass coursing through my veins for 3 hrs (we had great seats right up close to Geddy), I thought "this feels like being in the womb again, hearing the constant reassuring beat of my mother's heart" and I felt like, YES! this is my natural environment, this is where I belong, in this room with the fantastic sounds of Rush.

Here's a couple of pics to give you an idea of our seat location:

RushConcertinReno078.jpg

RushConcertinReno032.jpg

Geddy with "the newest member of the band, My Little Friend"

And here's one taken from the screen that makes me feel all warm & bubbly inside:

RushConcertinReno071.jpg

Great photos and review! I am so glad that you were able to attend the Rush concert. :D

After reading the reviews of the recent concert that they had near here, I still regret that we didn't decide to attend. :(

Great photos and review! I am so glad that you were able to attend the Rush concert. :D

After reading the reviews of the recent concert that they had near here, I still regret that we didn't decide to attend. :(

Cool pics I wished I could have went but I was working maybe next time.

I was surprised how seriously kick ass "All The World's A Stage" was.

How is that? Nothing the matter with Rush these days but All the World's A Stage captures them in their prime.

Oh, and funny how you'd make a crack about the Drive-By Truckers' audience having mullets (which is a crock of shit if I've ever heard it) when Rush's audience was once full of them, including the band members themselves.

• 1 month later...

I couldn't believe my eyes when my new issue of Rolling Stone arrived today (Obama cover) with a lengthy feature on Rush (that's right, Rush) included. It's well worth picking even for the most skeptical of skeptics especially when it comes to Rolling Stone's previous miniscule coverage of Rush. It's an extremely well done and very complimentary article.

Saw them at the Nokia Theater in LA last month. Great show! We were collectively stunned to hear Geddy hit the high notes in Freewill (something he's dodged for decades). The sound in that place was phenomenal! State of the frickin art!

And yes, All the World's a Stage was my first album too, Jahfin. Followed by Archives. And then the rest as they came out. B)

I'm 13 and the only Rush song I've heard is Working Man but it's great, I've looked for samples of some more songs but can't find any.

You can hear tons of samples at sites such as Amazon. Either that or just go ahead and take the plunge by purchasing one of their records.

My personal ratings of Rush discography, from fave to least fave

Hemispheres

Signals

Permanent Waves

Caress of Steel

Moving Pictures

A Farewell To Kings

Grace Under Pressure

Fly By Night

Power Windows

Test For Echo

Rush

Counterparts

Snakes and Arrows

Hold Your Fire

Roll The Bones

Presto

Vapor Trails

I think that's all of them, except for the EP Feedbacks, which I don't own.

Edited by Cletus

• 2 weeks later...

Rush to perform for The Colbert Report

Canadian rock band Rush will make a live appearance on U.S. television for the first time in 30 years with an appearance on The Colbert Report Wednesday.

The veteran band, which formed in Toronto in 1968, will play its classic Tom Sawyer.

Rush's members are singer Geddy Lee, guitarist Alex Lifeson and drummer Neil Peart.

The Colbert Report, which made its name by parodying conservative political pundits, has lately moved toward frequent musical performances.

John Legend, Neil Young, R.E.M., Tony Bennett, Peter Frampton, Willie Nelson, Barry Manilow, John Mellencamp, the Roots and Carole King have all performed on the show.

The rapper Nas will perform on July 23, Toby Keith will return for a second performance on July 28 and Crosby, Stills and Nash will play July 30 on the Comedy Central show.

Host Stephen Colbert mixes his enthusiasm for music with parodies of MTV-style band interviews.

Rush, currently touring North America in support of Snakes & Arrows, has dates coming up in Calgary, London, Ont., Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec City.

The band last appeared live on U.S. TV in 1975.