Our precious wildlife is disappearing - what can be done?

slave to zep

i am really getting concerned for our wildlife. Their homes are being taken away by us, and they are being slaughtered by us.

we have to wake up and stop all this craziness!

what can be done? please share your thoughts and ideas.

http://ran.org/palm-oil

http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/endangered_species/cetaceans/threats/whaling/whaling_facts/

http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/endangered_species/rhinoceros/?src=footer

http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/endangered_species/elephants/?src=footer

The Japanese town of Taiji has an annual dolphin and small whale drive, where they herd the migrating dolphins and whales en mass into a small cove and then brutally slaughter them. An estimate of 23,000 are savagely slaughtered each year for their meat. Some however are kept alive, confined to small areas and then sold to marine parks throughout the world for our ‘entertainment’.

These intelligent animals suffer pain and stress during these crude, vicious and barbaric killing hunts, before they are mercilessly slaughtered. So much so, that now curtains are pulled across the shoreline to hide the sadistic killing process from the public. Many of the dolphins selected for transportation die of shock before they are taken away.

Amazingly, dolphin meat contains high levels of mercury, making it a toxic meat to eat.

The Academy award winning documentary movie called The Cove was filmed partially in secret to analyse, question and portray this barbarically cruel act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cove_%28film%29

Scroll down to the bottom of this page to "In Their Own Words". Click on the pictures and read some of the experiences of the Cove Guardians.

I guarantee you won't be able to get through too many of them.

http://www.seashepherd.org/cove-guardians/

There was a website that I went to called WDC - Whale and Dolphin Conservation. It is not a sensationalistic page, but an official conservation organisation. I read through some of the documentation, then I scrolled down to see a short 1 minute video. The title was The Horror Behind The Curtain. It contained a pre warning and then the words "Please chose when you want it to stop".

I lasted 2 seconds before I was horrified!

In hindsight, obviously those "chose when you want it to stop" words had a double meaning.

I won't provide the link.

thanks for your input, whoopie.

i don't know much about what goes on with all this stuff, but i just know it's wrong and needs to stop. most of it is just so unecessary anyway! :angry: :wall:

my daughter has been vegan for about 6 months now. i suppose that is why i have been thinking more about it.

apparently palm oil is in millions of products, but many could be substituted for other oils, or we could simply go without these things.

i can't bear to think of a world without orangutans, elephants , whales, dolphins .... the list goes on .....

:heartbreaker:

Join the big campaigning organisations, like Greenpeace etc.

Eco-tourism? Holidays where you go to see the wildlife of other countries (making sure it's an organisation where the profits really go into preserving the local habitat). My dream would be to go to Rwanda and see the gorillas in the wild.

Do whatever you can to nurture wildlife on whatever land you own, even if it's only a garden. Find out what species live where you do and what kind of habitat / food etc they need, and try to provide it. The smaller the species, the easier it is, and it's crucial to encourage the things at the bottom of the food chain, as everything else is dependent on them. Provide damp, dark nooks and crannies which are good for insects, and that helps the birds, and so on.

I see you're Australian - it reminded me how Germaine Greer bought a chunk of Queensland rainforest so she could give it over to the wildlife. I think we need some kind of movement to bring together people who haven't individually got the money to do that, so they can club together (donating whatever they can afford) to do it. Maybe a Kickstarter?

And if you see a cane toad, KILL. It's horrifying what they're doing to all your unique and amazing Australian fauna.

my daughter has been vegan for about 6 months

Ah yes, the Vegan daughter! I have one of those, known on here as Veg Head.

Good luck with that ..... the lectures you will receive and the mess she will make in your kitchen :rolleyes::lol:

A true Vegan is a very dedicated and passionate person, who not only cares about what they eat, wears and their lifestyle, but they chose to do so, to preserve the animals in all forms on this planet.

Everybody knows Japan only kills Whales for scientific research!? :rolleyes:

The Japanese town of Taiji has an annual dolphin and small whale drive, where they herd the migrating dolphins and whales en mass into a small cove and then brutally slaughter them. An estimate of 23,000 are savagely slaughtered each year for their meat. Some however are kept alive, confined to small areas and then sold to marine parks throughout the world for our ‘entertainment’.

These intelligent animals suffer pain and stress during these crude, vicious and barbaric killing hunts, before they are mercilessly slaughtered. So much so, that now curtains are pulled across the shoreline to hide the sadistic killing process from the public. Many of the dolphins selected for transportation die of shock before they are taken away.

Amazingly, dolphin meat contains high levels of mercury, making it a toxic meat to eat.

The Academy award winning documentary movie called The Cove was filmed partially in secret to analyse, question and portray this barbarically cruel act.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page to "In Their Own Words". Click on the pictures and read some of the experiences of the Cove Guardians.

There was a website that I went to called WDC - Whale and Dolphin Conservation. It is not a sensationalistic page, but an official conservation organisation. I read through some of the documentation, then I scrolled down to see a short 1 minute video. The title was The Horror Behind The Curtain. It contained a pre warning and then the words "Please chose when you want it to stop".

In hindsight, obviously those "chose when you want it to stop" words had a double meaning.

Ages old question. I don't have any suggestions other than what has been listed above. We recycle, easing toward sustainabliity lifestyle, we volunteer and chair local and regional causes. My wife watched Project Runway last night and said one of the designers is 100% committed to sustainability in materials, manufacture and show. No makeup. Only hair work was braids, bobby pins etc. I think slow progress is being made if awareness and conversation count. I am not convinced that they do.

The Cove, bashing baby seals and the like- its the outward modeling of the heart of mankind. Unknown to us is the depths of evil that reside within. That- that is beyond my reach to transform other than what is given into my hands to control. To me, this is a reminder to be vigilant about being intentional and seeking out opportunities to help others.

We go so far as to "save" as many june bugs, baby bunnies and frogs that think it is a good idea to jump in the pool overnight and swim around and around. No gosford cane toads here though. Just the big fat ones that eat mosquitoes and nasty bugs, these are welcome.

Your question and tone has made an impact with me and I am going to share it this evening at our neighborhood meeting.

I wish they would torpedo those fucking Japs. I agree, dolphins, whales and all forms of wildlife need to be protected. I just wrote a check last night and sent it off to the United States Humane society and I donate often to these agenceies. I am a member of APSCA and we need also protect endangered species. Like the Florida panther, Polar Bears, Tigers, Panda's, and many more.

We're like a parasitic horde, aren't we? A swath of destruction wherever we go. Hopefully more and more people are becoming aware and are trying to lessen our destructive impact.

Humans. What a fine bunch.

Join the big campaigning organisations, like Greenpeace etc.

Eco-tourism? Holidays where you go to see the wildlife of other countries (making sure it's an organisation where the profits really go into preserving the local habitat). My dream would be to go to Rwanda and see the gorillas in the wild.

Do whatever you can to nurture wildlife on whatever land you own, even if it's only a garden. Find out what species live where you do and what kind of habitat / food etc they need, and try to provide it. The smaller the species, the easier it is, and it's crucial to encourage the things at the bottom of the food chain, as everything else is dependent on them. Provide damp, dark nooks and crannies which are good for insects, and that helps the birds, and so on.

I see you're Australian - it reminded me how Germaine Greer bought a chunk of Queensland rainforest so she could give it over to the wildlife. I think we need some kind of movement to bring together people who haven't individually got the money to do that, so they can club together (donating whatever they can afford) to do it. Maybe a Kickstarter?

And if you see a cane toad, KILL. It's horrifying what they're doing to all your unique and amazing Australian fauna.

thank you, skylla! those are great suggestions. maybe we could get the zep guys interested in a wildlife donation/capaign. i know they are already very generous with their dollars.

cane toads are a northern pest, but apparently they are marching south towards NSW ..... scary.

Ah yes, the Vegan daughter! I have one of those, known on here as Veg Head.

Good luck with that ..... the lectures you will receive and the mess she will make in your kitchen :rolleyes::lol:

A true Vegan is a very dedicated and passionate person, who not only cares about what they eat, wears and their lifestyle, but they chose to do so, to preserve the animals in all forms on this planet.

haha. yeah, i've been sent a few videos to watch etc, but she doesn't live with me, so cooking is ok. i always feel so bad when i eat animal products now! i wish i could go vegan, maybe i'll just try a little harder. i have started getting eggs from her friends free range chooks....

she rescued a cat and only had it a few weeks before it was bitten by a snake and died ..... oh dear ... :(

Ages old question. I don't have any suggestions other than what has been listed above. We recycle, easing toward sustainabliity lifestyle, we volunteer and chair local and regional causes. My wife watched Project Runway last night and said one of the designers is 100% committed to sustainability in materials, manufacture and show. No makeup. Only hair work was braids, bobby pins etc. I think slow progress is being made if awareness and conversation count. I am not convinced that they do.

The Cove, bashing baby seals and the like- its the outward modeling of the heart of mankind. Unknown to us is the depths of evil that reside within. That- that is beyond my reach to transform other than what is given into my hands to control. To me, this is a reminder to be vigilant about being intentional and seeking out opportunities to help others.

We go so far as to "save" as many june bugs, baby bunnies and frogs that think it is a good idea to jump in the pool overnight and swim around and around. No gosford cane toads here though. Just the big fat ones that eat mosquitoes and nasty bugs, these are welcome.

Your question and tone has made an impact with me and I am going to share it this evening at our neighborhood meeting.

hi DK :)

you sound like a very aware and dedicated person, well done! i'm pleased that this has had an effect on you! :) :) :)

Humans. What a fine bunch.

i know what you mean. we do such harm to other species, whether intentional or not.

I wish they would torpedo those fucking Japs. I agree, dolphins, whales and all forms of wildlife need to be protected. I just wrote a check last night and sent it off to the United States Humane society and I donate often to these agenceies. I am a member of APSCA and we need also protect endangered species. Like the Florida panther, Polar Bears, Tigers, Panda's, and many more.

well done with those efforts, rick! :)

Just out of interest why is " captain " Paul Watson of Sea Shepard wanted by interpol..

Just out of interest why is " captain " Paul Watson of Sea Shepard wanted by interpol..

The Japanese government has accused Paul Watson and the Sea Shepherd of interfering with their whaling operations. Their ships have been involved in skirmishes during Japan's whale killing season.

He was also wanted by Interpol after skipping bail last July in Germany, where he was arrested on Costa Rican charges relating to a high-seas confrontation over shark finning in 2002. )I'm not sure, but I think those charges may have been dropped)

Interpol has put him on their red list, which is the closest thing to an “international arrest warrant” there is, and usually reserved for serial killers and war criminals.

Rick, I may not agree with all your thoughts that you have posted on this forum, but I do sincerely admire and respect your dedication to animals .... from your personal rescue of cats, to your support of preserving and protecting our wildlife :bravo: :bravo:

As far as "Torpedoing those fucking Japs" ..... Maybe in the context of this thread and Conservation, we should perhaps not wipe them all out ;):lol:

Lets start with giving the ones involved with The Taiji Cove dolphin and whale slaughters a taste of their own medicine. Harpoons, spears, knives, baton bashing, metal rods inserted into their bodies, laying in their own blood and so on and so on. You get the idea!

Just for the sake of conservation of course :lol:

edit spelling

Cane toads are an introduced species, not natives to Queensland.

They were brought in from Soutrh America to control sugar cane beetles. Fail!

So are rabbits (for food) and foxes were introduced by Britain purely for hunting / sport.

The other problem we have are feral cats that threaten our native fauna, thanks to irresponsible owners dumping them in the bush.

cane toads are a northern pest, but apparently they are marching south towards NSW ..... scary.

Nothing can be done, as the population increases, it requires more space to survive. Pol Pot's ideas of population control didn't go over very well back in the day in Cambodia

I agree that our population is increasing and therefore needs more space to survive, which sadly comes at the expense of our world's natural land and wildlife, but most killings and mass animal slaughter is done out of greed and money.

The gorilla's are killed for the trophy of a foot, an elephant, rhino for their tusks, big cats for their pelts, hell lets even kill a tiger for the medicinal powers of it's penis, or the wiping out of the oranagtang's natual habitat for palm oil. Same for the mass slaughtering of whales and dolphins for meat. All these killings are done for money .... whether it's the money made from a trophy, a product, or for meat.

It's all about greed and money.

I agree that our population is increasing and therefore needs more space to survive, which sadly comes at the expense of our world's natural land and wildlife, but most killings and mass animal slaughter is done out of greed and money.

The gorilla's are killed for the trophy of a foot, an elephant, rhino for their tusks, big cats for their pelts, hell lets even kill a tiger for the medicinal powers of it's penis, or the wiping out of the oranagtang's natual habitat for palm oil. Same for the mass slaughtering of whales and dolphins for meat. All these killings are done for money .... whether it's the money made from a trophy, a product, or for meat.

It's all about greed and money.

All poachers should suffer the same fate as the animals they kill. Bastards.

I agree, that harming elephants and the like just for something to do is stupid. But I don't think individuals should be prevented from eating protein like fish, deer, and cattle, eggs, and so on

Oh .... no no no! I'm not advocating that anyone should not eat meat or any other type of protein. I eat and love it myself. I also wear leather and unfortunately have products that contain palm oil (it's very hard not to have something with palm oil in it).

I just deplore the needless slaughter and the mass killing of our wildlife, or their natural habitat.

Now if my daughter, Veg Head was here, she'd now be jumping up and down about how I eat dead cows and chickens.

I don't know, where do we draw the line? Is there a difference? But I suppose that is a whole new subject and way of thinking.

Archived