When was the last time Jimmy Page...

hecube

"Semi-retired"? Not when it comes to milking the Zeppelin vault. Robert Plant and John Paul Jones seem to be the only ones interested in being contemporarily relative with new projects. Jimmy is the king of resting on his laurels.

So Steve, was that the last studio output of Jimmy?

His contribution to the Jerry Lee Lewis album remains his last commercially released studio recording, aside from Embryo No. 1 & Embryo No. 2 which though incomplete were released for the film It Might Get Loud. I believe those tracks were composed in 2007; his segment with The Edge & Jack White was recorded January 23, 2008 at the Warner Brothers Studios in Burbank, CA.

This version of Whole Lotta Love version from the Olympic games in Beijing 2008 might be the last known studio recording, with Guy Pratt on bass and Geoff Dugmore on drums. I did a quick check and it looks like it was recorded sometime after May 2008: http://www.onemgmt.dircon.co.uk/news.htm

This probably could be considered his last studio recording output, perhaps aside from that archive clip of 'The One That Got Away' for an On This Day feature at Jimmy Page.com. This though, as with the Puff Daddy and Jerry Lee Lewis tracks, is merely a reinterpretation of material originally recorded with Led Zeppelin, leaving us with Embryo No. 1 & Embryo No. 2 as his only new and original commercial studio releases since 1998's 'Walking Into Clarksdale'. He also recorded a cover version of 'My Buckets Got A Hole In It' in Summer 2001 with Robert Plant for 'Good Rockin' Tonight - The Legacy of Sun Records'.

His contribution to the Jerry Lee Lewis album remains his last commercially released studio recording, aside from Embryo No. 1 & Embryo No. 2 which though incomplete were released for the film It Might Get Loud. I believe those tracks were composed in 2007; his segment with The Edge & Jack White was recorded January 23, 2008 at the Warner Brothers Studios in Burbank, CA.

Has Jimmy ever spoken about Embryo 1 and 2, did he have plans for these tracks ?

Ugh.

Not the song I wanted to remember...

The single version, I don't particularly like but Tom's (Morello Mix) is quite good with a lot of Morello's effects and Jimmy's guitar with a lot of the Puff Daddy stuff, put into the background. Puff Daddy's version was just so overproduced with the string section especially. Just sounds so stale compared to the version below which rocks!

This probably could be considered his last studio recording output, perhaps aside from that archive clip of 'The One That Got Away' for an On This Day feature at Jimmy Page.com. This though, as with the Puff Daddy and Jerry Lee Lewis tracks, is merely a reinterpretation of material originally recorded with Led Zeppelin, leaving us with Embryo No. 1 & Embryo No. 2 as his only new and original commercial studio releases since 1998's 'Walking Into Clarksdale'. He also recorded a cover version of 'My Buckets Got A Hole In It' in Summer 2001 with Robert Plant for 'Good Rockin' Tonight - The Legacy of Sun Records'.

The above is also another good rockin' tune (npi) with Jimmy on acoustic. Love this one! :elvis2:

It's even better with the intro and interview with Robert, Jimmy and the late Ahmet Ertegun! How he is missed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dnbBmIG1FQ

Has Jimmy ever spoken about Embryo 1 and 2, did he have plans for these tracks ?

When he gathered with U2's The Edge and Jack White to play together for the new film "It Might Get Loud," Jimmy Page wanted to have more than just his old favorites to jam on. So he produced "a couple of sort of sketches," titled "Embryo No. 1" and "Embryo No.2" that the Led Zeppelin founder says represent the first step for some new music in the not-too-distant future.

"They just go to show I didn't go in there thinking, 'Let's see what we can get away with from the past?' " Page tells Billboard.com. "It was quite important, I felt, to actually have something that shows I'm still working on the guitar relative to just doing 'Whole Lotta Love' or something like that. It was more 'Let's show a complete picture,' so you've got that kid (a young Page on British TV) playing at 14 and you've got me playing on some things which are really pretty current for me."

Page says the two pieces remain in a, well, embryonic state, but he acknowledges that he's "played them with other musicians relatively recently, in the last year or so" and that he envisions getting into the studio soon to continue working on those and other new songs.

"This year I've had quite a lot of things going on," Page explains, "sort of things relative to preparing for projects. There's a lot of groundwork that's been going into that so that I can be getting on with things next year. I really intend to be doing some playing and...be seen, if you like. If you've got ambitious projects, they take time to put together if you're going to do them properly."

Meanwhile, Page is looking forward to the roll-out of "It Might Get Loud," which was on the film festival circuit earlier this year and opens on Friday in New York and Los Angeles. The movie, directed by Davis Guggenheim ("An Inconvenient Truth," "NYPD Blue," "ER," "Deadwood"), focuses on the three guitarists individually and also brings them together for a summit of discussion and playing that Page says "was quite a good time" -- and, not surprisingly, included more music than could be fit into the documentary.

"It's inevitable there'll be a DVD on the horizon," Page says. "There'll be some extra stuff from the summit, that's obvious. I know there's another number I did. There was a lot that

as played at the summit, that Edge did, I'm sure, and Jack. I'm sure there'll be a DVD, and I can tell you with a certain confidence there'll be extras because that's the way things work these days."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/267725/jimmy-page-unveils-new-songs-in-loud-doc

What about the GREAT tune Domino? It had that cool kinda driving groove to it

Jimmy Page and Michael Lee recorded multiple instrumentals from July to September 1999 for what was intended to be a second Page/Plant studio album, Domino being one of them. It was performed at Net Aid in East Rutherford, NJ on October 9, 1999.

OMG, never in my life would I have thought I would hear Robert Plant and Jimmy Page doing "My Bucket's Got A Hole In It." This is such an iconic old southern song with, well I don't know quite how to put it, a rather uhmmmmm, lunch bucket toting, field plowing class connotation to it. However, they sure do make it sound great. Ahmet knew what he was doing but he mentions it was a "New Orleans" song. No it wasn't. This is a bluegrass/led belly song from Appalachia. It filtered down through the south over the years, but was never an original New Orleans song.

Archived