Sue Nami

Where y'at cher. It is tough and would make a great reality show. We sold some leases to Shell Oil years ago. Really can't make a good living at it anymore. Why some people don't want to save the wetlands and the fishing industry is a crime. When there are no more crabs, shrimp, fish and oysters, too bad. :tears:

Sue Nami....I agree with 95% of your original post. I also turn to PBS when there's nothing but a shit list of crap shows on elsewhere. Of course PBS is also irritating nowadays with their constant begging for money (Begathons). But at least they ARE commercial free when they do show something of interest. Today on the AMC channel they were showing 'Hang 'Em High' and I wanted to hang myself with all the damned commercials that kept interrupting the movie. They had 'The Godfather' on a while back and they turned a 3 hour movie into 4 hours with the constant damned commercials.

Just had a look in my TV/Radio guide for tonights viewing. I see that on channel 'Dave' at 8pm there is the first episode of something called 'Lizard Lick Towing'. A programme about the adventures of a pair of repo men 'Ron and Bobby'. Tonight R&B get attacked by a by some Biker women with police batons, almost get run over by an angry client driving a roadroller/steamroller at them. The reviewer suggests that the show relies too heavily on deep south redneck stereotypes and that anyone living in the town of Wendell or anywhere in North Carolina should sue for defamation.

I for one shall be giving this programme a very wide berth.

I was channel surfing Monday night, and found a horrible reality show called, I think, "Cougars". Won't be stopping at that channel again.

Hahaha! My sister-in-law watches one of those Real Housewives shows...can't remember if it was New Jersey or Miami...and when she was flipping by the channels I saw that show you mentioned, too! It's called Extreme Cougar Wives and it is on TLC. What exactly TLC expects us to learn from that show is a mystery.

Meanwhile, JTM, what is the 'Dave' channel?

Hahaha! My sister-in-law watches one of those Real Housewives shows...can't remember if it was New Jersey or Miami...and when she was flipping by the channels I saw that show you mentioned, too! It's called Extreme Cougar Wives and it is on TLC. What exactly TLC expects us to learn from that show is a mystery.

Hi Strider. The 'Dave' channel mainly has repeats of BBC programmes with a male demographic (hence the name), things like the motoring show Top Gear, the intellectual, humorous discussion of little known facts show QI, the news based Mock the Week, Various BBC comedies. It also has reality crap like Traffic Cops, Storage Wars etc. 'Dave' is worth the odd dip into but not too often, way too many ad breaks.

I used to watch the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, but they just got way out of control.

It was a great season of So You Think You Can Dance. Fik Shun was the other winner (the shorter guy); he was a lot of fun to watch, came a very long way technique-wise, and has a great personality (I would love to be able to dance hip hop!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi5VJ_1ThvE

75%? I'd like to see something that backs that statistic up. I was just going by what you had posted, when it came to the rest you're commenting on.

Survivor, this Wednesday! :)

If 75% of primetime is reality shows, not to mention the mainstream media obsessing over the latest gossip on these shows, then obviously they will get viewership. You can only surf for so long before you finally just pick something.

My level of intellect has nothing to do with my paying for a thousand "channels of shit on the TV to choose from". Other people live here with me too. Cancelling my subscription is not a decision I'd make without taking others thoughts and feelings into consideration.

"History" "Learning" "Discovery" - Check out their shows:

http://www.history.com/shows

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows

I'm actually glad you asked. It wasn't meant to be taken literally, exaggeration on my part, as you should expect from some girl. Funny thing, I had just watched, "Apartment for Peggy" - must've rubbed off! :lol: But I did find you some statistics:

http://www.statista.com/statistics/214642/top-10-primetime-tv-programs-in-the-united-states/

http://www.statista.com/statistics/223209/genre-breakdown-of-primetime-tv-viewership-in-the-us/
http://www.statista.com/statistics/223207/genre-breakdown-of-primetime-tv-ad-spend-in-the-us/

What do you make of all this, Walter?

I make of it where this conversation begin, supply vs. demand. You made my point, if people weren't watching, the shows wouldn't be on. Thanks.

:peace:

...Reality shows only get 16% of viewership, Walter. Does the number of reality shows on television reflect 16%? Because I was thinking, judging by how all the networks lean on reality programming, the viewership number should be closer to that of drama, wouldn't you agree?

The issue is not the viewership numbers for the networks; a critical mass exists that want ‘reality’. The issue is the cost of production for a “reality show” is much cheaper compared with ‘telling a story’. So even with a lower viewership numbers it can end being more profitable because the margin is more healthy.

Exactly Charles. If the money wasn't there to support the shows, they wouldn't be on. This thread has dried up, IMO. Where did ole Sue Nami go? :rolleyes:

The issue is not the viewership numbers for the networks; a critical mass exists that want ‘reality’. The issue is the cost of production for a “reality show” is much cheaper compared with ‘telling a story’. So even with a lower viewership numbers it can end being more profitable because the margin is more healthy.

....Walter....you just said yesterday, it's the VIEWERSHIP that keeps reality shows on the air, not that reality shows are cheaper to produce, remember? You may not understand how to read basic statistics, and you are definitely not an amateur economist, but you sure know run to the very point I was making to save your own face!! :lol:

Seriously though, no hard feelings Walter, It's been...interesting. Perhaps you'll stop by my Rock Music thread, and give us your thoughts? That should be more up your alley, eh? ;):kiss:

Archived