Jimmy's four directional salute during D+C live

joeboy

Magic or sorcery is an attempt to understand, experience and influence the world using rituals, symbols, actions, gestures and language.

Aleister Crowley defined Magick as "the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with the will".

Lawl.

• 4 months later...

I agree with the posts on this thread by juxtiphy and Bong-Man: Page was definitely performing a ceremonial magik ritual of some kind. Of course, Page was also being theatrical--he was fully aware of how great it looked and sounded. I read a quote by Page several years ago where he said something along the lines of, "Back then, (in the 70's) that was my life--the melding of music and magik--I lived it."

Also, Plantpothead mentioned above that he doesn't like to go "theorizing about what the artist was thinking at the time." With all due respect, I'm just the opposite; I'm fascinated by what the members of Zep were thinking, and particularly by the musical/philosophical ideas jointly shared by--and the interplay between--Plant and Page. I'm also fascinated by Page's thought patterns, his artistic vision, and his sources of inspiration and creativity.

:goodpost:

• 10 months later...

Is there any meaning to this wave of the bow 10 minutes into the song or is he just saluting the audience?

Yes, for anyone who is paying attention, Page was and still is very much into Aleister Crowley and Magick.

It is a summoning ritual involving the cardinal points. Each cardinal point is associated with an element, ritual tool, color and quality. The four directions of the earth are not only spiritual, but scientific in the way of how they align earth energies with magnetism and gravitational pull. By facing a certain direction and connecting with the energies, one can amplify power.

Yes, for anyone who is paying attention, Page was and still is very much into Aleister Crowley and Magick.

It is a summoning ritual involving the cardinal points. Each cardinal point is associated with an element, ritual tool, color and quality. The four directions of the earth are not only spiritual, but scientific in the way of how they align earth energies with magnetism and gravitational pull. By facing a certain direction and connecting with the energies, one can amplify power.

Or... it looks really cool. ;)

That would have been my guess: Putting on a good show and leave the audience guessing.

:yesnod:

Archived