2014 NFL Thread...

paul carruthers

The facts on this Peterson case seem incomplete and fuzzy so far. I mean, when I hear "child abuse" I imagine something far worse than spanking your child. And so far, that's what it appears Peterson was arrested for...spanking his son with a switch.

Now, from what I know of the South and from what people from the South have told me, being spanked by a switch is a fairly common mode of punishment. It's practically culturally ingrained. I believe both Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy based comedy routines on it. You act up, you're gonna get spanked.

I'll wait until all the facts are in and clearly stated, but so far, this smacks of the Government sticking its nose in a parent's right to raise their child. I don't consider spanking as punishment a form of "child abuse".

Unless he used a cat o' nine tails.

The facts on this Peterson case seem incomplete and fuzzy so far. I mean, when I hear "child abuse" I imagine something far worse than spanking your child. And so far, that's what it appears Peterson was arrested for...spanking his son with a switch.

Now, from what I know of the South and from what people from the South have told me, being spanked by a switch is a fairly common mode of punishment. It's practically culturally ingrained. I believe both Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy based comedy routines on it. You act up, you're gonna get spanked.

I'll wait until all the facts are in and clearly stated, but so far, this smacks of the Government sticking its nose in a parent's right to raise their child. I don't consider spanking as punishment a form of "child abuse".

Unless he used a cat o' nine tails.

Well said Strider.A caller on the local sports talk radio said about the same,...he had to explain to the young host what a switch was.

Back in day when I screwed up out came the leather belt from my grandfather.Never in in the face but in the rear,never did I have to 'bare' my bottom.Still hurt and did teach me a lesson,eventually.Today?Well,....

KB

^^^

Ditto KB. I was spanked too...and I did have to bare my bum to my stepmom. But not my dad. A spanking on the butt and a mouthful of soap if you used foul language or showed disrespect to your elders. I think most of us baby-boomers remember those punishments.

We cant spank any more hence children talk back and have no respect. just raising wild animals

Completely disagree with your statement. Not spanking doesn't lead to children being "wild animals", not parenting does.

KB and Strider, agreed! We've all been spanked with various objects. My mother got me with the fly swater, yard stick, belt, etc. Didn't really do much, one way or the other. It was when I let down someone I respected, like my grandfather, was when a spanking really hit home. No pun intended. ;)

I went to Catholic schools back in the 60's and 70's, so I know what true discipline is. I was never without discipline. It is needed more in this world of spoiled kids who are smart enough to know if they call the law, their parents will be scrutinized and put through the ringer. Teens I mean. As for younger children, yes there is a line you can cross, but defining that line is very difficult. And does the media and the NFL belong in this? I guess it depends on the specifics and we do not have enough. But it sucks. The timing sucks too. Especially if he has not done as severe a thing as they are implying. He cannot play Sunday. The team has to be distracted by this. And if he truly did go over the line, how do we "babysit" these Billion dollar babies?

The Vikes sat him out this week. Good for them!

Don't know if you posted this yet or not, but Scandrick and Welker are both off their suspensions and Josh Gordon is only out 8 weeks, instead of the entire season.

Looks like the report I heard jumped the gun. Nothing done on that front for this weekend, at least.

I will bet the tailgating has already started at the "Ralph" in Orchard Park NY. The last time a meaningful game was played between the Bills and Fish in Buffalo that drunken Canuck went over Niagra Falls in a barrel and of course he lived. I think he spent the night in the clink? The whiskey and beer will be flowing like the water in the Niagra River before it goes over the horse shoe falls. The shout song will ring out with a renewed enthusiasm and hope runs eternal. The Bills and Dolphins are both back in the NFL and lets hope its for more than a week or two. I have a feeling it will be.

I will bet the tailgating has already started at the "Ralph" in Orchard Park NY. The last time a meaningful game was played between the Bills and Fish in Buffalo that drunken Canuck went over Niagra Falls in a barrel and of course he lived. I think he spent the night in the clink? The whiskey and beer will be flowing like the water in the Niagra River before it goes over the horse shoe falls. The shout song will ring out with a renewed enthusiasm and hope runs eternal. The Bills and Dolphins are both back in the NFL and lets hope its for more than a week or two. I have a feeling it will be.

Echoes of Csonka, Kiick, & Morris vs. The Juice & the Electric Company in the 70s.

^^ Yes to all of the above--and Manuel is a threat to run out of the pocket as well. Should be a good game.

I just heard on NFL Network that Carson Palmer will not play today vs. the Giants--but I'm not changing my pick, going to stick with the Cards, no matter what...

Could be a nail biter. lets hope the Jets get rolled. and pray the Vikes find a way

WTF? The Bills always wear dark at home?

Home team usually wears dark at home, Rick. Only teams I can think of that regularly wear white at home are Dallas and Miami.

It's weird seeing Vikings playing home games outdoors again. It's the way it should be!

Home team usually wears dark at home, Rick. Only teams I can think of that regularly wear white at home are Dallas and Miami.

It's weird seeing Vikings playing home games outdoors again. It's the way it should be!

I know. that is why I said its strange Buffalo is wearing white. the game is IN BUFFALO

Archived