Un-Mixed Physical Graffiti Tapes Up For Auction

kenticus

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/listen-to-unreleased-led-zeppelin-tapes-for-physical-graffiti-20140227

Take it for what it's worth, sure Jimmy's not horribly pleased with this depending on what the content is. It seems the package does include the In The Light demo that we've all heard for years and it sounds quite clean.

Wonder how much Jimmy knows/knew about this and what if any effect it will have on the box sets. I mean, had to figure that the In The Light demo was going to show up on the box sets anyways, but just interesting.....

If those samples are actually from the reels...wow.

I wouldn't be surprised if these reels (or the multi-tracks behind them) were used for the box-sets...if the lads don't like it, they should be able to mobilize (as they did against Eddie Kramer).

Btw: The description on the RR website and RS is misleading -- the only song that was (practically) re-recorded is "In the Light." All of the other tracks feature the final, official instrumentation, minus a few (or more) overdubs. The one reel has been heavily bootlegged over the years -- I'm much more interested in the other reel, which has alt mixes "In My Time of Dying" and "Sick Again."

Looks like these reels are the original source of "Oh My God". Lot #788 has the same songs in the same running order.

Is that the name of an actual boot? The same was surmised over at RO.

The other reel appears to have never been bootlegged.

Is that the name of an actual boot? The same was surmised over at RO.

The other reel appears to have never been bootlegged.

Apparently so, just been talking with Dave Lewis and he seems to think that these tapes are the original source of the Oh My God tape that surfaced in 1997. From the auction samples, the tapes being sold are much better, though.

Apparently so, just been talking with Dave Lewis and he seems to think that these tapes are the original source of the Oh My God tape that surfaced in 1997. From the auction samples, the tapes being sold are much better, though.

Agreed. They are much less muddy than any of the booted versions.

if the lads don't like it, they should be able to mobilize (as they did against Eddie Kramer).

This. Now that everybody knows about them I am sure this is what will happen. The idea of a group by was very possible before this. Now though, these tapes are either going to go for an absurd amount of money and never be heard again, or mysteriously disappear from the auction and never be heard again.

Also, the fact that these tapes are Ampex 406 means they could be sticky/shedding. The sound is good, so hopefully whomever transferred them this time took the necessary precautions.

what happened with Eddie Kramer and the band?

I might have actually jumped the gun on that one: In 2004, Eddie Kramer auctioned off a lot of his rock 'n' roll memorabilia, including tapes (acetates, reels, etc.) containing music from Bowie, Hendrix, Kiss, Zeppelin, etc.

I've read that the Zeppelin tapes were taken out of the auction by Pagey and co., but apparently there are conflicting statements. Here's the "End of Auction Summary." The Led Zeppelin (and Detective) recordings are the only items whose final sale says "Confidential."

It might be cool as Cookie24 suggested, to get a bunch of us to make an offer in this auction, but we certainly could not do it here for obvious reasons. I haven't looked at the site out of New Hampshire that is conducting the auction yet, but I am certainly interested in these recordings. We need to know the quality and direct sources of these and whether these are the multitracks that have no loss at all in quality. In other words, I want first hand multi tracks and not those that have been copied so many times. Just would like to know if these are the originals and how do we prove it? Either way, I'm interested...but need more detaile info regarding these! Hopefully, someone here can provide this! I have the bootlegs of this and just hoping something will give me the drive to go after this and why I should do so.

How are these different than the recordings of these I already have from some 15 years ago? Just looking for answers.

The difference is (what I get from the description anyways) that these are supposed to be the master tapes directly out of the mobile studio from Headley Grange. These are two track stereo mixes - a work in progress or rough mix, recorded to this tape from the original multitracks.

You can get an approximation of the quality (although probably heavily eq'ed and possibly de-hissed) from the samples posted on the site (or on youtube). They sound better than the tracks we already have, and are missing things like tape warble/crinkle that are on the recordings we have now.

The music on them is real, but their lineage "straight from the mobile studio" might not be. The original owner, Ron Nevison, would have to provide evidence that these exact tapes are his (like that he is the one that cosigned them to the auction house, or other similar proof). Otherwise, there is no way to be 100% sure these are completely original/for real.

This is quite interesting what you said. Probably, no coicincidence with the box sets on the horizon. I've always noticed about certain bootlegs etc. when they'd become available over the years. Some of the material on these, would correspond with an upcoming release. Too many to name over the years, but I may get into this at another time. I think, you'll all appreciate this as there is a lot of this over the last 20 years or so!

Just don't feel like doing this tonight!

It might be cool as Cookie24 suggested, to get a bunch of us to make an offer in this auction, but we certainly could not do it here for obvious reasons. I haven't looked at the site out of New Hampshire that is conducting the auction yet, but I am certainly interested in these recordings. We need to know the quality and direct sources of these and whether these are the multitracks that have no loss at all in quality. In other words, I want first hand multi tracks and not those that have been copied so many times. Just would like to know if these are the originals and how do we prove it? Either way, I'm interested...but need more detaile info regarding these! Hopefully, someone here can provide this! I have the bootlegs of this and just hoping something will give me the drive to go after this and why I should do so.

How are these different than the recordings of these I already have from some 15 years ago? Just looking for answers.

Shiiiit I am about forty five minutes away from there.

That intro to "In The Light" sounds so much like "Two Against One" by Danger Mouse and Daniele Luppi featuring Jack White:

http://youtu.be/6yQPOV9kFW8

http://youtu.be/lF_C7BvAf_A

I think you mean that "Two against one" sounds like the opening for In The Light ;)

Wouldn't it be great if a group of Led Zeppelin fans clubbed together to buy the tapes and shared the contents? It's not too extreme an idea, something like that happened with a disc filled with deleted Star Wars scenes.

If we did who would be the keeper of the sacred tapes, I'm thinking along the lines of the end to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, or IAMMMW. :yesnod:

As a aside don't these things get removed from sale pretty quick.

Warner has claimed the music samples they posted...I imagine these will discreetly disappear into the hands of Rhino/Warner/Page and co.

Luckily I borrowed those videos to keep on my hard drive.

I'm in touch with the auctioneers. Apparently the tapes are in good condition. They were not played as part of the auction process, instead their contents have been digitised for quite some time and Ron Nevison provided the auction house with MP3 recordings of their content to use as samples.

Luckily I borrowed those videos to keep on my hard drive.

I'm in touch with the auctioneers. Apparently the tapes are in good condition. They were not played as part of the auction process, instead their contents have been digitised for quite some time and Ron Nevison provided the auction house with MP3 recordings of their content to use as samples.

I was able to record the audio, so I'm set.

The whole affair seems really quite suspect, to me.

Archived