Un-Mixed Physical Graffiti Tapes Up For Auction

kenticus

True, but I wanted to reach out to them for clarification before posting online that lots had been removed from sale.

Was it legal intervention, or did Nevison pull them on his own? I know they probably wont say why....

Was it legal intervention, or did Nevison pull them on his own? I know they probably wont say why....

Good question, the wording of the email I received seemed to imply that the tapes were voluntarily withdrawn.

My guess is that Jimmy called up Ron Nevison direct before unleashing the lawyers on the auction house. That is, however, total guesswork.

Good question, the wording of the email I received seemed to imply that the tapes were voluntarily withdrawn.

My guess is that Jimmy called up Ron Nevison direct before unleashing the lawyers on the auction house. That is, however, total guesswork.

Which sounds very likely. I am surprised they were allowed out this long.

If everyone would have just kept their mouths shut, someone could have bought them and got the out there. But everybody has to be so fucking self-important and post "news" so they can see their fucking screen name on the internet or get some faint priase for breaking a story. People feel they HAVE TO FUCKING OPEN THEIR MOUTHS!!!

I swear to god, 99% of people in America just dont know when to shut up, even for their own good. This is not directed at this board per se, but in general, although this thread didnt help. I dont know how Page found out but these threads go viral, then RS gets it, and before you know it theyre gone. Good fucking job.

The Albert Hall 1970 reels were once for sale. I tried to buy them, and you certainly didnt see me start a thread about it saying HEY LOOK OVER HERE AND READ MY THREAD ABOUT THIS!! I wish everyone could follow this advice, but obviously getting the "news" out there is fucking paramount, right? I guess it was more important to talk about these reels than ACTUALLY FUCKING HAVE ANY CHANCE TO HEAR THEM!

I got $100k sitting in my greasy fucking hand and I wanted to get these tapes.....now I got ZERO shot. cool, thanks, good job

I am not placing blame on anyone in particular, just the stupid fucking way most people bumble about their so called pathetic lives. Oh well.

Its not like Pages cruises obscure auction houses looking for tapes on a weekly basis. he would have never known

If everyone would have just kept their mouths shut, someone could have bought them and got the out there. But everybody has to be so fucking self-important and post "news" so they can see their fucking screen name on the internet or get some faint priase for breaking a story. People feel they HAVE TO FUCKING OPEN THEIR MOUTHS!!!

I swear to god, 99% of people in America just dont know when to shut up, even for their own good. This is not directed at this board per se, but in general, although this thread didnt help. I dont know how Page found out but these threads go viral, then RS gets it, and before you know it theyre gone. Good fucking job.

The Albert Hall 1970 reels were once for sale. I tried to buy them, and you certainly didnt see me start a thread about it saying HEY LOOK OVER HERE AND READ MY THREAD ABOUT THIS!! I wish everyone could follow this advice, but obviously getting the "news" out there is fucking paramount, right? I guess it was more important to talk about these reels than ACTUALLY FUCKING HAVE ANY CHANCE TO HEAR THEM!

I got $100k sitting in my greasy fucking hand and I wanted to get these tapes.....now I got ZERO shot. cool, thanks, good job

I am not placing blame on anyone in particular, just the stupid fucking way most people bumble about their so called pathetic lives. Oh well.

Its not like Pages cruises obscure auction houses looking for tapes on a weekly basis. he would have never known

Wow, chill out man.

You do realise that the auction house sent out press releases to news outlets, and that's how news spreads? This thread was started after professional journalists reported on the tapes. It's how journalism works.

Maybe they did send out a press release, but that seems unlikely. They advertised on their website for sure, but thats usually as far as it goes for an auction house. Bonhams, Christies et al usually dont hire someone for small time items like this. Now if the Mona Lisa was going up for bid, it might be different. Regardless, doesnt change the point of my post...people still want to be "FIRST" to post news when they could just be quiet abotu ti and let it come to pass

Maybe they did send out a press release, but that seems unlikely. They advertised on their website for sure, but thats usually as far as it goes for an auction house. Bonhams, Christies et al usually dont hire someone for small time items like this. Now if the Mona Lisa was going up for bid, it might be different. Regardless, doesnt change the point of my post...people still want to be "FIRST" to post news when they could just be quiet abotu ti and let it come to pass

I can tell you for a fact that the auction house contacted journalists with a release and directed them to the catalogue, placing emphasis on the Led Zeppelin lots in particular. There's no "maybe" about it.

People are always going to break news. Fans are always going to share news about the musicians they like. Swearing at people on the internet and telling everyone to be quiet for your own personal gain isn't going to stop that.

Chances are, these mixes -- or mixes like them -- are going to appear on the PG box-set anyway. I don't know what Nevison was thinking when he included the tapes as part of the auction...they weren't his to sell, nor ours to buy.

Chances are, these mixes -- or mixes like them -- are going to appear on the PG box-set anyway. I don't know what Nevison was thinking when he included the tapes as part of the auction...they weren't his to sell, nor ours to buy.

The physical tapes are his to sell. The content on them isn't transferring copyright to the buyer, which was clearly stated in the auction details.

I find it great that Rolling Stone publicized the one item that would bring the most people to their website...

My guess is that Nevison saw the writing on the wall, and knew that these tapes were going to be virtually worthless once the new Deluxe Editions come out, so he tried to flog them while they were still a commodity.

On a side note, I just listened to Berlin, July 1980, and White Summer was shockingly abysmal, but the Whole Lotta Love jam was astounding.

If you put in a bid fine , Shinedaddy, but don't blame the fans......

As a fan, I'd like a boxed set with the umixed recordings of --all-- Zeppelin sessions....

Then I will (learn to) mix them myself.

In other words.... give Me the raw music, and I will "PLAY" with it, as I see fit. :suntan:

I would have been quite surprised if these tapes made it to auction without some intervention! Some of you are upset about this but the end result is that most likely the best of this will end up on the PG box set. That's what will probably happen. Probably, a good end result of this!

I would have been quite surprised if these tapes made it to auction without some intervention! Some of you are upset about this but the end result is that most likely the best of this will end up on the PG box set. That's what will probably happen. Probably, a good end result of this!

The withdrawn tapes were Ron Nevison's take home stereo mixdown review reels. There is nothing on them that is not on the actual studio multi tracks. Any future release will use the the multis, not the Nevison tapes which will no doubt be destroyed

Calm down, Calm down now. Far from having ZERO, you still have your "$100 grand" you have been saved from one of the most stupid purchases you would ever have made.

If you have "100 grand to give away, might I suggest you give to some charitable cause that would find such a vast sum most welcome, The Alzheimers Society for instance.

I think page and the lawyers would have discovered it whether or not it got press coverage. Just assuming that given he's in the midst of this whole process of compiling the remasters and box sets that you would think he has people out there looking to see what's on the internet, what's for sale, etc. and making sure to snuff out stuff like this. Very likely that stuff off these sets will feature on the PG box, just have to wait and see and in this case it's just a simple matter of him quashing any access to the tapes before he's good and ready to release what he wants to release.

No doubt Jimmy was tipped off by any number of mates. It was a long shot. Nevison should have known the outcome before cleaning out his closet on a public auction house. I'm surprised other tapes of his are still available, especially Pink Floyd and Who. I doubt Jimmy called Ron...bad blood there, though Ron is, ahem, courteous in his remarks about the history of recording PG, and the band.

Archived