STRAIGHT FROM JIMMY: NO MULTI-TRACKS BEFORE RAH '70

Strider

Sad indeed. Thank you for the information. I've been busy for a couple of days (attended a drum clinic, etc.). With all the concerts I attended in the 70s, I missed LZ. I am going to have to call my brother and have a word with him. It is actually embarrassing. However, I listened to them on vinyl quite frequently.

In case you missed it, one important bit of news from today's Listening Party with Jimmy Page was Jimmy Page saying that Led Zeppelin did not multi-track record any of their concerts until the January 9, 1970 Royal Albert Hall concert. So those of us who have been hoping/praying for some early 1968-69 concert multitracks just had our dreams smashed. Apparently, the only things available for the 1968-69 period are soundboards and whatever radio tapes that survived, such as the BBC and the Paris L'Olympia shows.

One interesting source of live Led Zeppelin pre RAH is the Bill Graham recordings of artists, including Led Zeppelin, at both Fillmore venues (SF and NYC) and Winterland (SF).

For those followers of the website Wolfgangs Vault, you will recall in the early days of that website, when live concert streams were free to listen to, Zep's January 10, 1969 Fillmore show was partially available (just first few songs), and sounded as clear as a bell, until Zep lawyers had that pulled down from that website.

Point is, Jimmy may not have live recordings anymore, but Bill Graham's archives certainly do. Whether they were multi tracked or not, I don't know. But what it does mean is that surely there are professional recordings of many 1969 performances in San Francisco and New York, and this very well could include all Zep concerts performed in those cities/venues in 1969.

• 2 weeks later...

For those followers of the website Wolfgangs Vault, you will recall in the early days of that website, when live concert streams were free to listen to, Zep's January 10, 1969 Fillmore show was partially available (just first few songs), and sounded as clear as a bell, until Zep lawyers had that pulled down from that website.

Did those tracks make it on boots or are they on YouTube? I'm sure I've heard the show before but if love to compare sounds Edited by mckjuana

Did those tracks make it on boots or are they on YouTube? I'm sure I've heard the show before but if love to compare sounds

I have that show but not sure how it compared to what was on wolfsgang. The do For Your Love as a final encore. Awesome!!

Oh speaking of Multitracks, how about this show from 1980?

Hope the multitracks still exist!!! If they didn't meet the Zeppelin standard then poof they are gone!!! This tour had its ups and downs but there were some great moments regardless of some of the bad talk... any of the 1980 tour experts or Zep experts in general know what show this is? Does anyone have any insight on this possible multitrack show as the original poster was wondering about?

sry the pic didn't get quoted

Edited by cosmic_juice

Oh speaking of Multitracks, how about this show from 1980?

I've often wondered about the 1980 tour being multi-tracked as well. Bonzo's kick drum has 2 mics in many photos of the tour. Could be that by 1980, he was using 2 mics for a bigger sound, but I doubt it. I would have to review pics from the tour, but another sign of a show being recorded is 2 sets of overhead mics on the drums. If memory serves me,

The 1980 tour over Europe only has one set.

One interesting source of live Led Zeppelin pre RAH is the Bill Graham recordings of artists, including Led Zeppelin, at both Fillmore venues (SF and NYC) and Winterland (SF).

Point is, Jimmy may not have live recordings anymore, but Bill Graham's archives certainly do. Whether they were multi tracked or not, I don't know. But what it does mean is that surely there are professional recordings of many 1969 performances in San Francisco and New York, and this very well could include all Zep concerts performed in those cities/venues in 1969.

Wasn't this the source for the Dancing Avocado bootleg? I believe Bill Graham/Wolfgang had mics set up underneath the stage to record the shows? That's why Bonham's drums sound so clear.

They did not in fact actually have any Zeppelin recordings. The Zeppelin tapes -- and, indeed, other artists', including Hendrix -- were (and continue to be, as far as I'm aware) sourced from bootlegs or fan-made matrices (and in the case of Hendrix, from the official CDs).

I have that show but not sure how it compared to what was on wolfsgang. The do For Your Love as a final encore. Awesome!!

See, that's not a Graham recording -- it's an audience bootleg. I believe the actual recording that the WV site hosted was 1969.01.11, which has been available for years and was identical to the "low-gen" trading copy...

If only they multitracked the Pontiac show from 77, and the L.A shows......

Absolutely no 1977 multi-tracks, and the only rumoured shows from 1980 are Dortmund and Cologne, the two opening gigs of the tour.

Edited by Melcórë

• 2 weeks later...

There is a glimmer of hope for Bath Festival, though skeptics say Jimmy didn't have this show multitracked because there weren't two mics near the bass drum, I'd like to point out that the same follows for the Royal Albert Hall gig, the first multitracked gig Jimmy and Eddie Kramer or whoever did.

There isn't two mics near the bass drum:

post-27823-0-51894300-1403643018_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

This topic has got me on a hook!! I went and searched around for all of the Japan pics from 71 and it appears that the only Japan show multitracked was from 7/28, the first show at Osaka. This photo setlist is the only one from Japan where I found two mics on the bass drum and two sets of overhead mics. Am I safe in making that assumption? Has anyone else found any other Japan shows besides 7/28 with double mics on Bonzo? The 28th is a pretty massive show and I would be ecstatic to say the least if Jimmy ever released this.

666.jpg

668.jpg

This topic has got me on a hook!! I went and searched around for all of the Japan pics from 71 and it appears that the only Japan show multitracked was from 7/28, the first show at Osaka. This photo setlist is the only one from Japan where I found two mics on the bass drum and two sets of overhead mics. Am I safe in making that assumption? Has anyone else found any other Japan shows besides 7/28 with double mics on Bonzo? The 28th is a pretty massive show and I would be ecstatic to say the least if Jimmy ever released this.

666.jpg

668.jpg

This is from 9/23. And all these shows were recorded, but 23rd show had the mics closer to Bonham's bass drum.

This is from 9/23. And all these shows were recorded, but 23rd show had the mics closer to Bonham's bass drum.

Excuse me, I meant 9/28, not 7/28- that's my fault I'm not sure why I typed that lol thanks for catching that for me! :bravo: Oh yeah you are right, those pics are from the 23rd. I got those two photos from ledzeppelin-database.com and they had those photos under September the 28th, did they mis-categorize the pictures? Man, just everything about my post that day was off :slapface::hysterical:

• 6 months later...

Lcondo - those pictures are NOT from September 23 as the video we have shows Jimmy in a t-shirt.

That's what I originally figured, the photos that are from 9/23 don't match with the ones I posted.

EDIT: I just looked through them photos again, and these are from 9/28, the outfits match with the others circulating out there. Outfits are different on 9/27 and 9/29.

Edited by lcondo123