STRAIGHT FROM JIMMY: NO MULTI-TRACKS BEFORE RAH '70

Strider

In case you missed it, one important bit of news from today's Listening Party with Jimmy Page was Jimmy Page saying that Led Zeppelin did not multi-track record any of their concerts until the January 9, 1970 Royal Albert Hall concert. So those of us who have been hoping/praying for some early 1968-69 concert multitracks just had our dreams smashed. Apparently, the only things available for the 1968-69 period are soundboards and whatever radio tapes that survived, such as the BBC and the Paris L'Olympia shows.

Sad indeed... That epic four hour Boston Tea Party show is only a dream for those who were not there.

I'm still a skeptic when it comes to that show...and, anyway, they wouldn't have multi-tracked a show like that...they saved their money for the ones that they knew were going to be big.

That being said...can we take Jimmy's statement with a grain of salt? I missed that part of the stream, but did he specify 1970? He's referred to the Royal Albert Hall show as having taken place in 1969 before, in reference to the 2003 DVD.

=

I'm still a skeptic when it comes to that show...and, anyway, they wouldn't have multi-tracked a show like that...they saved their money for the ones that they knew were going to be big.

That being said...can we take Jimmy's statement with a grain of salt? I missed that part of the stream, but did he specify 1970? He's referred to the Royal Albert Hall show as having taken place in 1969 before, in reference to the 2003 DVD.

Yeah he did specify 70

I suppose Jimmy didn't answer my question about the condition of the Japan 1971 tapes? :P

Grant claimed that the band weren't happy about the quality of the recording that they wiped the tapes. Plant remarked that recordings they made on a Revox player sounded much better. I find it a bit difficult to believe that a meticulous archivist like Page would allow it.

There is actually good news in this....I think.

As there were no suitable multitracks from 69 for the companion disk, Page has just actually proved that he is happy to allow the right soundboards to be released (Paris). Does this potentially open up more options for general release?

Or is an FM broadcast a different kettle of fish?

I thought there was a whole interview recently with Eddie Kramer where he confirmed he recorded Zeppelin at Carnegie Hall. Something about a release being difficult because the Carnegie people own the recordings or something, am I just dreaming? Wasn't it on this very site somewhere? Huh.

I thought there was a whole interview recently with Eddie Kramer where he confirmed he recorded Zeppelin at Carnegie Hall. Something about a release being difficult because the Carnegie people own the recordings or something, am I just dreaming? Wasn't it on this very site somewhere? Huh.

I think someone mentioned that a few years ago...but I haven't been able to find any such interview, and when I asked about the source, no one knew.

All this talk of live stuff. If there are ever anymore live releases there will be a long wait, at least five years after the current reissue campaign is over in two years time. Bloody hell, I'll be in my mid sixties by then. I wish Jimbo would spare a thought for us older fans.

All this talk of live stuff. If there are ever anymore live releases there will be a long wait, at least five years after the current reissue campaign is over in two years time. Bloody hell, I'll be in my mid sixties by then. I wish Jimbo would spare a thought for us older fans.

I'm inclined to think that, depending on how well these remasters sell for -- in particular the first album with it's companion disc -- we might see Warner/Rhino/Atlantic be more enthusiastic about further Led Zeppelin releases. It probably also depends on whether or not Jimmy will play any live dates, and what else he has up his sleeve in terms of archival releases -- he has claimed in the past that he has further tapes from his non-Led Zeppelin career that he'd like to release.

I'm honestly very surprised (and pleased) that the bootleg labels have yet to undercut the release of the remasters with tapes we all want...maybe that well dried up...

I doubt the well is dry but the waters may be considered a bit muddy by Page. (Muddy Waters get it) :whistling:

There are so many shows Zeppelin could release but if the quality isn't there I doubt Jimmy would want them to go out from his end. As a fan of unofficial live recordings and a consumer I can take the dip in quality. One show that would be great to release is the April 27 show from 69 at the Fillmore West. Its a juggernaut of a show and on some releases the sound is almost official quality. its almost a guitar overload, If such a thing is possible. There are some great sounding releases to choose from regardless of the tour.

Regarding the supposed four hour show. For me it would be a grail to hear the rest of How many More Times and what may have followed. To me that version is so unbelievable!. Its the epitome of what the band was able to do off the cuff on a nightly basis. The jam in the middle is flying full speed with no net and the very creepy bow solo is so awesome! I always wondered why Jimmy moved away from playing riffs with the bow. The strange effect he achieves while playing the Yardbirds riffs is highly satisfying . Jimmy is also playing very fast during this show. The solos are speedy and imaginative even though you could say he overplays here and there for a bit Its still awesome to witness. If only I had a time machine :tears:

Well, it is a fact the Japan 1971 concerts (or some of them anyways) were multi-tracked. But will Jimmy have artistry mercy to release them on the bonus disc of Led Zeppelin 4? Seriously, there is no real reason why Jimmy is keeping it away from an official release, except for the fact that the tapes might probably sound horrible, there is no other reason. It would make perfect sense to keep away a full Earls Court concert from an official release, but Japan 1971? Why? This is Zeppelin at their peak, when Robert actually still had his voice, Jimmy wasn't that strung out, Bonzo was..... Well, what he was! And Jonesy is 90% of the time perfect, and in my opinion Jimmy making a big mistake. We can only hope for the new reissue of Led Zeppelin 4 that he will release a Japan concert 1971 on the bonus disc.

Proof these concerts were multitracked:

Here's some photos which clearly have two mics near Bonzo's bass drum:

post-27823-0-86942200-1400794623_thumb.j

post-27823-0-20847000-1400794642_thumb.j

post-27823-0-18871500-1400794654_thumb.j

It would make perfect sense to keep away a full Earls Court concert from an official release

Why would it make sense?

They were excellent shows. I was actually hoping that these reissues could be the vehicle for releasing a full earls court show, both audio and visual.

Jimmy probably already earmarked what live releases he wants out after the remasters are out, I could see a "bootleg series".

The remasters were all about removing the compressed crap from iTunes and Amazon, and the box sets are for us.

I thought one of JP's points about these releases was releasing stuff that was NOT out on BL before - I'd LOVE a Japan 1971 show - but if he's already cut/edited HMMT from Paris & the WLL medley from BBC sessions was seriously edited - I'm doubtful of a Japan show & if it did come out I think I'd be a bit let down by his editing with a chain saw :blush:

I thought one of JP's points about these releases was releasing stuff that was NOT out on BL before - I'd LOVE a Japan 1971 show - but if he's already cut/edited HMMT from Paris & the WLL medley from BBC sessions was seriously edited - I'm doubtful of a Japan show & if it did come out I think I'd be a bit let down by his editing with a chain saw :blush:

There is editing on almost all official live releases, so I wouldn't be surprised if Japan was edited as well...but there would be much less to edit in that case -- a song or two from the WLL medley, most likely, nothing too drastic (similar to HTWWW).

Archived