Synchronicity and Led Zeppelin

chef free

I was just now driving home from work, listening to the radio. I had the radio tuned to a local college station because I like a lot of musical variety, it was a show featuring Middle Eastern music which was reminding me of Kashmir. When the music ended and the DJ started talking, I switched to the local "classic rock" station and what song started in? Kashmir of course!

This kind of thing always seems to happen to me, weird coincidences that are so meaningful often around music. Carl Jung called these events synchronicity.

After Kashmir ended I switched back to the college station and the music sounded so much like Kashmir! I thought, "I can really hear the Middle Eastern influences on Led Zeppelin!" As the song progressed it sounded more and more like Kashmir, finally I realized that it WAS Kashmir, arranged for cello, oud, drums, and other acoustic instruments.

It turned out to be a version of Kashmir by Maya Beiser on cello, from her album Provenance. (Provenance means the place of origination, maybe a little more synchronicity!) The "official" video is here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6KMcwR43FE But this sound check is much cooler and twice as long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDhc4hmfeIc Check it out!

Do you ever experience synchronicity (especially around Led Zeppelin)?

I do experience synchronicity -- especially around Led Zeppelin. One small example: I was listening to Led Zep's Dazed and Confused on my car radio a few weeks ago when I happened across (yet another) "Page Street" which I turned my car onto...just as Page's solo in D and C was beginning.

I was just now driving home from work, listening to the radio. I had the radio tuned to a local college station because I like a lot of musical variety, it was a show featuring Middle Eastern music which was reminding me of Kashmir. When the music ended and the DJ started talking, I switched to the local "classic rock" station and what song started in? Kashmir of course!

This kind of thing always seems to happen to me, weird coincidences that are so meaningful often around music. Carl Jung called these events synchronicity.

After Kashmir ended I switched back to the college station and the music sounded so much like Kashmir! I thought, "I can really hear the Middle Eastern influences on Led Zeppelin!" As the song progressed it sounded more and more like Kashmir, finally I realized that it WAS Kashmir, arranged for cello, oud, drums, and other acoustic instruments.

It turned out to be a version of Kashmir by Maya Beiser on cello, from her album Provenance. (Provenance means the place of origination, maybe a little more synchronicity!) The "official" video is here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6KMcwR43FE But this sound check is much cooler and twice as long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDhc4hmfeIc Check it out!

Whoa...Einstein's "spooky action at a distance" theory! :wizard:

chef free, I just watched Maya Beiser "Kashmir" Live on Soundcheck.... :D

Absolutely brilliant.

I don't know what you call it in technical musical terms but she played everything almost as late as you possibly can without being out of time. There's that which I call holding back and the oppositte is what I call pushing where you play or hit as early as you can without being out of time to the other instruments.

It's a feel of playing that I love and Led Zeppelin did this as well as many other greats.

Thans so much for sharing this. :D

Now regarding the synchronicity;

It happens to me a lot.

I was telling my friend today at the local shopping center that I started to listen to a Zeppelin Bootleg - (June 25, 1977 - Badge Holders Annual Meeting!)

As we were talking about it along walked a fella with a Led Zeppelin tee shirt.

I gave him the thumbs up and read it and it had Led Zeppelin 1977 on it.

He said he bought it in the UK and he was an Englishman.

So yeah, synchronicity for sure.

It happens to me all the time and not just regarding the mighty Led Zeppelin of course. :)

I do experience synchronicity -- especially around Led Zeppelin. One small example: I was listening to Led Zep's Dazed and Confused on my car radio a few weeks ago when I happened across (yet another) "Page Street" which I turned my car onto...just as Page's solo in D and C was beginning.

The exact same thing happened to me several years ago. I was driving back to my (former) house and Robert Plant's current single (I don't remember the year or which song) started on the radio. I had just turned onto Robert Street, which was about 3 turns before my street.

https://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&oe=&gws_rd=ssl&um=1&ie=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=us&q=Robert+St,+Ridgewood,+NJ+07450&sa=X&ei=a70qVM2QBYaeyQSW14DYDg&ved=0CB8Q8gEwAA

It turned out to be a version of Kashmir by Maya Beiser on cello, from her album Provenance. (Provenance means the place of origination, maybe a little more synchronicity!) The "official" video is here:

But this sound check is much cooler and twice as long:
Check it out!

That was awesome, I really enjoyed those! Thank you so much for posting!

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last post, I have run into a young lady who wore a very nice Zepp tee shirt and just today although it wasn't a Zeppelin synched moment it was a Jimmy Hendrix Synchronicity moment as last night I looked at buying a nice Jimi Hendrix Tee shirt from the UK online.

You guessed it. I saw a fellow walk straight past me with that exact UK only Hendrix tee shirt.

The other thing is that all 3 of my mentioned synchronicities have been in the exact same place while talking to a mate at a shopping center where I get my almost daily coffee.

Coincidences are too many for being just a coincidence.

I tend not to believe in coincidence anymore.

Best one ever, just recently: I had a leaflet for a stately home called Haddon Hall (can't remember how I acquired it - I haven't been anywhere near it recently and am not planning to. I think it was left over from a holiday in the area years ago). Anyway, it was kicking around (there's a mulch of these sorts of things in my car) and I was using it as a bookmark in the book I was reading at the time (The Folding Star by Alan Hollinghurst). Broke off from reading one day, idly opened up the leaflet (which I hadn't before, though I'd been reading the book for a while) and it said something about how you will be welcomed to the property by the owner, Edward Manners (or words to that effect). The main character in The Folding Star is Edward Manners - not only that, but his name was set out in full (Christian name, surname) on the page I'd just broken off from reading, which only happens about twice in the whole thing.

That was enough to make me go WTF for a moment. But I don't believe it means anything. With 7bn people on the planet and all the thousands of things we look at and hear and think about and whatever every day, there's bound to be weird coincidences here and there. As Richard Dawkins puts it in one of his books (I forget which), we all have thousands of opportunities for potential coincidences every day. He says something like "I'm looking at a picture of a fish on the wall behind my desk. The phone might now ring and the caller identify himself as a Mr Fish....I'm waiting....the phone didn't ring". Think of all the things that could have happened to you today which would have seemed odd...but didn't.

I was once in a pub trying to convince a friend of the virtues of Led Zeppelin when "Rock and Roll" came on the PA. (In the sort of place that usually plays very cheesy pop). I was once singing along to "Most High" when I saw I was driving behind a van for a J Page plumber or builder or something. I'm constantly reading a word (often a not-so-common one) when someone speaks the same word on the TV or radio and it makes me jump. But, you know, I read a lot, and often with background noise of some kind. It's got to happen sometimes. I don't read anything into any of it. It's cool to enjoy synchronicities when they occur, especially if they relate to something you enjoy. But seeing too much significance might perhaps breed paranoia or something.

Could be wrong, of course. Perhaps the universe is telling me to hotfoot it to Haddon Hall because that's where something amazing will happen to me...

Archived