2015 MLB BASEBALL THREAD

Strider

Rick, I told you your Orioles would have the edge in Saturday's game against Richards. Baltimore 5, Angels 0.

Now Weaver gets the start today in his return from the DL. Our pitching could definitely use some help. Especially since our offense is so inconsistent. If Weaver can return to form and Heaney keep up his good year, the Angels might have a shot at the Wild Card at least.

Having breakfast, then taking the train to the game today. Go Angels!

Well, we won't sweep the Rays, but a win today could mean another game or half a game up on the Nats. This race between the Mets and Nats may go down to the final week of the regular season. A lot of couch chewing for me during that time....

The Nats got a shot in the arm with The Orchid's return yesterday...but it remains to be seen if he can maintain that level of performance. The Mets-Nats are definitely one of the division races to watch.

Edited by Strider

Some of your fellow fans representing at the Big A today, Rick and ebk!

attachicon.gif20150809_103158-1.jpg

Nice! Last night did you see the highlights? Wieters beat out a ground ball and caught the Angels infield sleeping and went to second. Scosia was pissed. Today Miguel best bring his A game or go back to fucking Norfolk. I am really getting sick of the way he has been pitching. If he gets rocked again I would put Wright in. Put the kid on the next plane out of Norfolk. If they have an airport?

Just as I feared. Gonzalez makes one mistake and it costs us the game. Up 0-2 on the hitter he serves up a 3 run shot that blew the Orioles lead early. We battled back to tie and go to 11 innings, but Buck was hell bent on saving his closer Zach for the Seattle series, thus killing us after doing what was a very smart move in intentionally walking Trout and Pujols to oad the bases with two outs. He did the right thing but Matusz got behind in the count 3-1 and had to put it over twice. The infield was set shallow as this guy had slapped three defensive plate protecting type bloopers for singles earlier in the series. This time he managed to hit it over Lough's head. If it was Adam Jones or Parra I think they could have made the catch. On to Seattle and then home for 4 vs Oakland. I think we can win 6 of 7 or at least 5 of 7 and stay right on the heels of those teams we are chasing. The yankees being swept must not sit well with them. Their manager burned out Potances and that was just dumb. But Toronto's pitching staff did a number on them. The race is on. And even Tampa is still alive

The Fucking L.A. Dodgers Suck!!! I thought that they were the better team between them and the Pittsburgh Pirates. Was I very wrong. The Pirates swept the Dodgers in three games, capping off last nights game with a 9 run 7th inning. It is no wonder to Me that the Dodgers have chocked these last couple of years when playing games that they needed to win. At least I can say that the Saint Louis Cardinals have also owned them in the past couple of National League Division Series. If it comes down to it again, the Cardinals will be on Their way to a 5th National League Championship Series in the past 5 years.

Yeah, as much money as the Dodgers have thrown around the past few years, they still haven't been able to even sniff a pennant. I'm not sure if they have even reached the NLCS, or maybe they have & I've just forgotten it--someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not certain that this year will be any different for Dodger Blue.

And as phenomenal as Kershaw has been during the regular season, he still has much to prove when it comes to winning in October.

Don't look now Charles J. White, but the Jays are now a mere 1.5 games back of the Yanks and have control of the 1st wild card spot. Maybe this is the year the Jays finally live up to their potential....

^^ Heh, if I had to choose a winner between the Yanks and the Jays, I probably would grudgingly go with the Yanks. But Toronto looks to be in good shape, either as the AL East champ or one of the wild cards.

I guess the only question I have about the Yanks is how dangerous would they be in October. For whatever reasons, the top of the Yanks rotation doesn't really scare me & October--for the most part--is all about pitching, hmmm....

The Fucking L.A. Dodgers Suck!!! I thought that they were the better team between them and the Pittsburgh Pirates. Was I very wrong. The Pirates swept the Dodgers in three games, capping off last nights game with a 9 run 7th inning. It is no wonder to Me that the Dodgers have chocked these last couple of years when playing games that they needed to win. At least I can say that the Saint Louis Cardinals have also owned them in the past couple of National League Division Series. If it comes down to it again, the Cardinals will be on Their way to a 5th National League Championship Series in the past 5 years.

How the hell do the Dodgers allow 9 runs in an inning? I will tell you that does not say much for their bullpen. They rely on their starters. If they do not have huge lead they are in trouble. Expect some moves to the minor's. As for the AL East, I am not giving up after a tough loss in 11 innings. Lets check the standings next Sunday after we play 3 in Seattle and have 4 at home vs the A's. I assure you Baltimore will be in better shape

Just as I feared. Gonzalez makes one mistake and it costs us the game. Up 0-2 on the hitter he serves up a 3 run shot that blew the Orioles lead early. We battled back to tie and go to 11 innings, but Buck was hell bent on saving his closer Zach for the Seattle series, thus killing us after doing what was a very smart move in intentionally walking Trout and Pujols to oad the bases with two outs. He did the right thing but Matusz got behind in the count 3-1 and had to put it over twice. The infield was set shallow as this guy had slapped three defensive plate protecting type bloopers for singles earlier in the series. This time he managed to hit it over Lough's head. If it was Adam Jones or Parra I think they could have made the catch. On to Seattle and then home for 4 vs Oakland. I think we can win 6 of 7 or at least 5 of 7 and stay right on the heels of those teams we are chasing. The yankees being swept must not sit well with them. Their manager burned out Potances and that was just dumb. But Toronto's pitching staff did a number on them. The race is on. And even Tampa is still alive

Both Gonzo and Weaver were gone by the 5th inning so it's not entirely Gonzalez' fault. Jered Weaver looked shaky early in his first start off the DL and that is when the Orioles should have rocked him...it looked like they were headed for a three or four run inning. That Weaver kept the Orioles to two runs in the first was a victory.

Of course Rasmus gave up the lead with those solo home runs by Parra and Davis and I could feel a second Sunday extra-inning loss in-a-row by the Angels coming.

That's why I can't believe you're giving Buck a pass, Rick. Not that the Orioles were in a winning situation...give up a leadoff double with nobody out and the chances are high the other team is going to score no matter what you do. Incredibly, Angel manager Scioscia almost blundered away the win by taking the bat out of Giavotella's hands after Perez led off the 11th inning with a double.

Giavotella had hit the ball hard all day and had three hits. Scioscia has him bunting and Giavotella strikes out by bunting foul three times. A wasted bat and Perez is still at 2nd base. Calhoun then strikes out and now there's two outs and Perez still hasn't advanced to 3rd. It looks like the Angels have blown it and the Orioles will survive to the 12th inning. The Angels next two batters, Trout and Pujols, haven't sniffed a hit all day, going a combined 0 for 10.

Oh wait...here comes Buck to the mound...a pitching change? No, he leaves Matusz in there...to INTENTIONALLY WALK both Trout and Pujols, loading the bases!!! Just so they could pitch to David Murphy, who had already homered in the game?!? :blink:

Game over...Angels win and Murphy is the hero!!!

I think Matusz would have got Trout out, Rick. Of course, we don't know what the 12th or later innings would have brought. Maybe the Angels win anyway. After all, Buck Showalter is the manager who once intentionally walked Barry Bonds with the bases loaded.

Here's the sequence of photos I took at the end of the game.

Buck's conference at the mound...

post-1470-0-91944500-1439233751_thumb.jp

Buck leaves Matusz in...

post-1470-0-78175800-1439233847_thumb.jp

David Murphy's Game-winning hit...you can see the ball as it's just rising out of the infield...

post-1470-0-43415100-1439233979_thumb.jp

The ball sails over Parra and Jones and euphoria ensues...

post-1470-0-68519500-1439234083_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-99596700-1439234145_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-13392000-1439234212_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-41230400-1439234313_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-19273900-1439234375_thumb.jp

The aftermath...a sea of peanut shells from nervous eating in the late innings...

post-1470-0-77943100-1439234522_thumb.jp

Shipping the Orioles out of town on their way to Seattle...

post-1470-0-73886900-1439234635_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-97581000-1439234704_thumb.jp

Both Gonzo and Weaver were gone by the 5th inning so it's not entirely Gonzalez' fault. Jered Weaver looked shaky early in his first start off the DL and that is when the Orioles should have rocked him...it looked like they were headed for a three or four run inning. That Weaver kept the Orioles to two runs in the first was a victory.

Of course Rasmus gave up the lead with those solo home runs by Parra and Davis and I could feel a second Sunday extra-inning loss in-a-row by the Angels coming.

That's why I can't believe you're giving Buck a pass, Rick. Not that the Orioles were in a winning situation...give up a leadoff double with nobody out and the chances are high the other team is going to score no matter what you do. Incredibly, Angel manager Scioscia almost blundered away the win by taking the bat out of Giavotella's hands after Perez led off the 11th inning with a double.

Giavotella had hit the ball hard all day and had three hits. Scioscia has him bunting and Giavotella strikes out by bunting foul three times. A wasted bat and Perez is still at 2nd base. Calhoun then strikes out and now there's two outs and Perez still hasn't advanced to 3rd. It looks like the Angels have blown it and the Orioles will survive to the 12th inning. The Angels next two batters, Trout and Pujols, haven't sniffed a hit all day, going a combined 0 for 10.

Oh wait...here comes Buck to the mound...a pitching change? No, he leaves Matusz in there...to INTENTIONALLY WALK both Trout and Pujols, loading the bases!!! Just so they could pitch to David Murphy, who had already homered in the game?!? :blink:

Game over...Angels win and Murphy is the hero!!!

I think Matusz would have got Trout out, Rick. Of course, we don't know what the 12th or later innings would have brought. Maybe the Angels win anyway. After all, Buck Showalter is the manager who once intentionally walked Barry Bonds with the bases loaded.

Here's the sequence of photos I took at the end of the game.

Buck's conference at the mound...

attachicon.gif20150809_162848.jpg

Buck leaves Matusz in...

attachicon.gif20150809_162909.jpg

David Murphy's Game-winning hit...you can see the ball as it's just rising out of the infield...

attachicon.gif20150809_164103.jpg

The ball sails over Parra and Jones and euphoria ensues...

attachicon.gif20150809_164111.jpg

attachicon.gif20150809_164112.jpg

attachicon.gif20150809_164115.jpg

attachicon.gif20150809_164118.jpg

attachicon.gif20150809_164147.jpg

The aftermath...a sea of peanut shells from nervous eating in the late innings...

attachicon.gif20150809_164423.jpg

Shipping the Orioles out of town on their way to Seattle...

attachicon.gif20150809_170211.jpg

attachicon.gif20150809_170220.jpg

Thanks for your input Sean. I do agree with Buck's decision to talk two of the most dangerous hitters in the game and take your chances with far less productive lefty. Trout being in a bit of a slump yes. But I still like what he did. I do not like the fact he played Lough. AT ALL. But since he was in, why did they have him that shallow? He could have caught that damn ball Well, its on to Seattle and we need to just forget it and move on. With Oakland coming in on Friday I am hoping we can beat Seattle at least two of three if not sweep. We are far from finished I assure you. You guys get Chris Sale in Chitown tonight. Good luck. I was actually wondering if he would actually pull off the double intentional. I was hoping and he did. It backfired. We would have stopped them if he had gone to Britton but he did not want to use him, and did not play the game like our lives depended on it as it didn't. If he thought he had to win, he pulls Matusz and goes to zach Britton I assure you. Nice pics !

^^^That's why I don't understand Buck's laissez faire attitude toward yesterday's game. Baltimore is chasing the Angels for the second wild card, not Seattle. A win against the Angels counts double in the standings. The Angels series was more important than the Mariners to Baltimore's playoff chances, in my opinion.

^^^That's why I don't understand Buck's laissez faire attitude toward yesterday's game. Baltimore is chasing the Angels for the second wild card, not Seattle. A win against the Angels counts double in the standings. The Angels series was more important than the Mariners to Baltimore's playoff chances, in my opinion.

Had the season had a week or two left I understand your point. But there is a ton of games left. So it was not do or die. We need to get on a roll. We lost two in LA we could have won if one of two pitches had gone better.

Woohoo! Great game tonight. I ended up sitting in a section full of O's fans - really fun. Zach Britton gave me some heart palpitations at the end, but it worked out just fine.

Seattle is a lovely city!!

Good beer, too :)

Saint Louis defeats Pittsburgh 4-2 to increase Their lead to 7 games. The Cardinals are now 33 games above .500. Simply amazing.

Speaking of amazing, the Baltimore Orioles were hitless yesterday against the Seattle Mariners. Not one Baltimore Oriole got a hit. Can someone on here explain how the Orioles were the object/subject of a No-Hitter without making any excuses for them?

Edited by kingzoso

:lol: I wish no disrespect to the "O's". I'm a Nats fan, but I keep an eye out for the O's.

Iwakuma was fantastic. Game on! He deserves all credit due. This was the first thing I watched on television in a year, and I'm not sorry in the least. The O's were outmatched. They should have had a Suki Beer Fest afterward. It's a pleasure to see a no-hitter. It was a pleasure to see.