Royal Orleans

grasbo

I have a really,really sad confession to make.I am on the wrong side of 50 and have been a Zep addict since about 13(1975).I believe Presence would been about my fourth Zep lp and i bought it not long after it came out.In all that time I have always ignored Royal Orleans and have lifted the needle,fast forward the tape or hit the skip button when it came up seeing it as this annoying throw away track.In fact I may have listened to The Crunge twice as many times.However in the car the other day I gave Presence a spin and let RO go.It was a blast.Bonzo's on fire and i love Pages solo.A similar thing happened years ago with Nightflight off PG.It had the feeling of finding a lost track from the vaults.Has anyone done anything similar?

MAN! Always one of my faves!!!!! It's that funky swing was such an attractive force with Zep for me!!! But I know how you feel finding that lost track!!! Good for you!

I have found that listening to the entire album, from beginning to end, without skipping any songs (even if you have the urge) is best with LZ. There are a few songs that did not click with me at first, but at some point the beauty of the song revealed itself, and I am thankful for each one. With the vast diversity of the LZ catalog, I think it is inevitable that there will be some songs that take a while to grow on you.

Glad you found Royal Orleans, grasbo!

The only LZ track I think doesn't work for me on any level is D'Yer Mak'er - I wonder if that will ever grow on me?

Yep, I agree on this one, never liked the song but it is because of the lyrics, not the tune. The song is good but the insipid, moronic lyrics kill it.

Another tune I did not like until recently (still not a fav) is Candy Store Rock. It is a really weird song but it is starting to grow on me...only took 30+ years.

Yep, I agree on this one, never liked the song but it is because of the lyrics, not the tune. The song is good but the insipid, moronic lyrics kill it.

Another tune I did not like until recently (still not a fav) is Candy Store Rock. It is a really weird song but it is starting to grow on me...only took 30+ years.

I recall reading an article (forgive me i can't link a source) where Jonesy fondly recalled Stairway to Heaven's bass line, as well as wished people would completely forget the existence of D'yer Mak'er. I still love that song, but i'm sure many would agree with Jones.

Another one off Presence that took a while to grow on me was Hots on for Nowhere.It still doesn't move me that much but its ok.Candy Store Rock never had a problem with,just a good old rockabilly type track.Elvis could have sung it in his heyday,or that great impersonator Tortelvis from Dread Zeppelin.I could take or leave Dy'er Maker ,yes insipid lyrics,music ok.Hats Off I like because it pays homage to the rough old blues recordings although 'not as good!!!'as the real thing.Yes Hey Hey What Can I Do should have been on there.Been getting back in to Coda over the last few days.Walters Walk is a monster.And I just love the boogie woogie at the end of Darlene.Its great to dredge out some of the lesser stuff that i probably haven't heard for ages.P.S.A friend once played me a live bootleg of Dread Zep doing Dy'er Maker in a straight ahead rock style rather than their usual reggae style.Different!

• 4 weeks later...

It's always been one of my favorites on the album, however I must completely admit I grew up in New Orleans and have stayed in the Royal Orleans many times just to be close to places Zeppelin frequented. It's always awesome that in music what one person loves another can find not so good and still meet in the middle!

• 3 weeks later...

I always liked Dy'er Maker because I felt Plant sounded like an everyday, more realistic heartbroken guy on that one, and not the crazy bluesy one that was great sounding but a little over the top, on earlier heartbroken songs. Same with All My Love. People insult it but he sounds genuine. Plus, I read somewhere that they felt he was sort of doing a Lennon thing with his phrasing on Dy'er Maker and that made me like it even more.

I always liked Dy'er Maker because I felt Plant sounded like an everyday, more realistic heartbroken guy on that one, and not the crazy bluesy one that was great sounding but a little over the top, on earlier heartbroken songs. Same with All My Love. People insult it but he sounds genuine. Plus, I read somewhere that they felt he was sort of doing a Lennon thing with his phrasing on Dy'er Maker and that made me like it even more.

Hmm, never thought of it that way. I will have to listen with new ears.

Since I joined this forum I've been pretty surprised at how many people hate D'yer Maker. I've said this before, but there is plenty to like about it, including Bonzo's drum fills and a great melodic solo from Jimmy.

I have a couple of confessions to make myself.

Confession Number 1 : While listening to Led Zeppelin III, I used to constantly skip over "Hats Off To Roy Harper", deeming it to be one of the most annoying songs in the Led Zeppelin catalogue, ever!

Then in 2011, something happened that changed my perception forever. One Saturday evening, I watched an incredible documentary called "The Roots of Led Zeppelin" containing extensive information (and sometimes vintage footage) of Blues legends like Son House, Charley Patton, Robert Johnson, Lead Belly, Muddy Waters, etc. After the documentary ended, I wanted nothing more than to explore the music of such legends and I first started off with Son House and then discovered Charley Patton and then Robert Johnson and then started exploring the music of Chicago Blues artists, then swamp blues artists, etc. The list goes on. It has been an incredible journey these past 4 years!

With Son House and Patton, I gradually started falling in love with the sound of the slide guitar, thanks to songs like:

And also thanks to a nifty little song by an NZ band called "The La De Das" :

It was songs like these songs that made me re-visit Led Zeppelin's "Hats Off To Roy Harper" and fall in love completely! :wub:

Confession Number 2 : When I first started seriously exploring the Led Zeppelin catalogue back in 2003 (at age 16), I used to regard my dad's advise (who by the way has been a fan of the band since 1975) on the band's discography (in terms of what album to get into first, what songs to start off with as a newbie, etc.) to be the gospel truth. That was a mistake of epic proportions, since he made me shy away from albums like "In Through The Outdoor"!! My dad used to deem this album as "80's wannabe synthesized pop" (after listening to it for the first time in 1980 on vinyl at a friend's place) :wtf: and could never get himself to believe that it was an album by Led Zeppelin!! To this day, he still has not listened to a single song off the album, from start to finish! :wacko: His top 3 albums are "Physical Graffiti", "Led Zeppelin I" and IV.

It was only in 2012 that I bought and listened to ITTOD for the first time and it became my 2nd favourite album, with "Presence" in 1st place and "Physical Graffiti" in third place! I am just so damn glad that I had the balls to take a 'risk' and purchase that album!! I discovered so many beautiful and incredibly sensual gems like "Carouselambra" for instance! ;)

Edited to add : I absolutely LOVE the so-called underrated tracks like "Royal Orleans", "Candy Store Rock", "Boogie With Stu", "D'yer Maker", "The Crunge" (makes me wanna boogie!!!!!!! B)), "Night Flight", "Boogie With Stu" and "Hots On To Nowhere". Such incredibly fun and catchy stuff! :D

My advise to people about Zeppelin is just to listen to them in the chronological order in which they originally gave us. Do it just like the original fans base did. Go Zep I, II, III, IV, HOTH, PG, Presence and ITTOD.

As for CODA, after they've heard all the albums, go back and listen to the CODA tracks in the context of their original sessions or eras.

Listening to the band change and expand from start to finish, IMO gives you a better appreciation for them.

This is how I first got turned on to them.

By buddy gave me his Zep cds when he bought the 2 box sets back in the 90s so I just literally put in Zep I and let it roll all the way through their chronological discography.

I can't personally imagine myself ever getting so into them had I tried it any other way.

As for Royal Orleans, it's not too bad but of the three that seem to get tossed aside a lot from Presence, I prefer Hots on For Nowhere and For Your Life more

Archived