What (Non-Led Zeppelin) Live Show or Song Are You Listening To At This Moment?

I know I am gonna get seriously flamed for this but here goes. Always liked Deep Purple but only a few of their songs, most of the rest are just forgettable IMO. Never had or even listened to Made in Japan so I decided to buy it as this album is constantly talked about as one of the best live albums out there. Well, I was rather disappointed. So yes, a few songs were good but the majority were just meh and I thought the performance as a whole was just lacking something I cannot put my fingers on. The performance itself was a good one but it was still missing something. The other issue I had with the album was Ian Gillan. The guy can sing without a doubt but his ad libs and screams are just annoying.

So that's my take. For me an example of a great live album is J. Giles Band Blow Your Face Out, or The Allman Bros. Live at the Filmore. I will not mention any Zep live albums as I am just too biased and think all their official live releases blow everyone else away but my view is less than objective.

Always thought Uriah Heep was a better band overall than Deep Purple. Those two were very similar overall in approach and direction.

Edited by BobDobbs

5 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

I know I am gonna get seriously flamed for this but here goes. Always liked Deep Purple but only a few of their songs, most of the rest are just forgettable IMO. Never had or even listened to Made in Japan so I decided to buy it as this album is constantly talked about as one of the best live albums out there. Well, I was rather disappointed. So yes, a few songs were good but the majority were just meh and I thought the performance as a whole was just lacking something I cannot put my fingers on. The performance itself was a good one but it was still missing something. The other issue I had with the album was Ian Gillan. The guy can sing without a doubt but his ad libs and screams are just annoying.

So that's my take. For me an example of a great live album is J. Giles Band Blow Your Face Out, or The Allman Bros. Live at the Filmore. I will not mention any Zep live albums as I am just too biased and think all their official live releases blow everyone else away but my view is less than objective.

Always thought Uriah Heep was a better band overall than Deep Purple. Those two were very similar overall in approach and direction.

I love Made In Japan, but I wouldn't consider it one of the best live albums. Alive! by Kiss, on the other hand is a great album. The songs are 6 minutes or over, and in some cases, I can't keep still. It's also only 10 songs. It's like when I listen to Dazed & Confused from The Song Remains The Same by LZ. I mean, 30 minutes. I did it once. 

On 3/19/2021 at 9:37 AM, BobDobbs said:

Always thought Uriah Heep was a better band overall than Deep Purple. Those two were very similar overall in approach and direction.

I have been saying this for years. In fact, I thought I was reading one of my old posts. Hahaha.

Edited by Strider