A Band's Defining Song

redeyedrichard

Prince-Purple Rain (i dunno if you guys consider him a band or not...)

U2-Beautiful Day

Guns N' Roses-Sweet Child O' Mine

Alice Cooper-School's Out

Iron Maiden-Run to the Hills

Judas Priest-You Got Another Thing Coming

KISS-Rock and Roll All Nite

Queen-Bohemian Rhapsody

Amboy Dukes-Journey To the Center of the Mind

Thin Lizzy-The Boys are Back in Town

ive got some no one has said yet...

Jimi Hendrix-Purple Haze...although theres so many better ones

Blue Oyster Cult-Dont Fear The Reaper

Rush-Tom Sawyer or Spirit of the Radio or Freewill

Traffic-Dear Mr.Fantasy

theres more but i cant think of them

U2's defining song is probably "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." They were fairly well-known before the Joshua Tree, but that song is what made them absolutely huge.

Also, should we exclude one-hit wonders? By definition, they only have one defining song.

Well Kurt Cobain is the highest grossing dead musician ever. He makes more money than even Elvis or any other musical great.

If I'm not mistaken, Elvis took over the top slot again this year. Anyway, my main point being, Nirvana never really had time to make the impact they could have over a longer period of time but in the short time they were around, I'd have to say the impact they did have was pretty huge.

If I'm not mistaken, Elvis took over the top slot again this year. Anyway, my main point being, Nirvana never really had time to make the impact they could have over a longer period of time but in the short time they were around, I'd have to say the impact they did have was pretty huge.

I think you're right, it is Elvis again.

I used to love both those songs until I realized how many Lynard Skynard "fans" know only "Free Bird" or "Sweet Home Alabama."

Now they make me back away from Skynard like Superman does to kryptonite. :(

Actually I'd say that's only true of casual Skynyrd fans, as diehard Skynyrd fans definitely know more than those two songs. As a fan since the early 70s I have to say I still haven't tired of those tunes but classic rock radio has certainly played them to death. In that regard, I steer clear of them for the most part and only listen to them on occasion. I do agree about there being so much more to their catalog though, there's lots of songs that deserve attention such as Poison Whiskey, I Never Dreamed, All I Can Do Is Write About It, Four Walls of Raiford, Every Mother's Son and lots of other deep album tracks.

Actually I'd say that's only true of casual Skynyrd fans, as diehard Skynyrd fans definitely know more than those two songs. As a fan since the early 70s I have to say I still haven't tired of those tunes but classic rock radio has certainly played them to death. In that regard, I steer clear of them for the most part and only listen to them on occasion. I do agree about there being so much more to their catalog though, there's lots of songs that deserve attention such as Poison Whiskey, I Never Dreamed, All I Can Do Is Write About It, Four Walls of Raiford, Every Mother's Son and lots of other deep album tracks.

Gimme Three Steps?

Black Crowes~Wiser Time

I'd say Hard To Handle, She Talks To Angels and Remedy are much more likely candidates for the Crowes' "signature" song than Wiser Time. Great song and definitely one of my very favorites of theirs but I don't think it approaches the status of the others when speaking of signature songs.

I'd say Hard To Handle, She Talks To Angels and Remedy are much more likely candidates for the Crowes' "signature" song than Wiser Time. Great song and definitely one of my very favorites of theirs but I don't think it approaches the status of the others when speaking of signature songs.

Almost everyone has heard "Remedy" so I'd have to nominate that.

Gimme Three Steps?

I'm not sure what you're asking. If you're suggesting it's their signature song, I'd have to disagree as that would definitely have to go to Free Bird. I also wouldn't classify 3 Steps as a deep album cut as it's garnered plenty of airplay in it's time.

I'm not sure what you're asking. If you're suggesting it's their signature song, I'd have to disagree as that would definitely have to go to Free Bird. I also wouldn't classify 3 Steps as a deep album cut as it's garnered plenty of airplay in it's time.

Perhaps my classing of Gimme Three Steps is skewed, as it was the first Skynyrd song I ever heard. I agree that it's not in the same class as Freebird or SHA in terms of popularity, but I thought it was worth discussing nonetheless.

It always surprises me that with a song so well-known at All Right Now, how there aren't more Free fans... :(

Because most people think it's Bad Company. I'd also say Free almost fall into the one hit wonder category. Yes, they had other songs that got airplay but none to the extent of All Right Now.

Because most people think it's Bad Company. I'd also say Free almost fall into the one hit wonder category. Yes, they had other songs that got airplay but none to the extent of All Right Now.

Yeah, you can treat them as a one hit wonder. "All Right Now" is the only song I've ever heard played on the radio by them.

Perhaps my classing of Gimme Three Steps is skewed, as it was the first Skynyrd song I ever heard. I agree that it's not in the same class as Freebird or SHA in terms of popularity, but I thought it was worth discussing nonetheless.

I'd say it's definitely a "defining" song but not their "signature" song.

Archived