A Band's Defining Song

redeyedrichard

Beautiful Day? I'm pretty sure U2 had their defining song well before 2000. Try "(Pride) In The Name Of Love," "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," or "One."

For their most well known song (aka "signature" song) I'd have go with either Pride or With Or Without You.

Most people know the Beatles by Yellow Submarine, Pink Floyd by Dark Side of tthe Moon even though it's really Brain Damage.

I think more people know the Beatles for songs like "Blackbird," "Yesterday," "I Want To Hold Your Hand," "Come Together," "I Am The Walrus" and many more.

Rosalita is far from Bruce's defining song. I've seen him in concert quite a few times and he's not performed that song at all and the songs that get the loudest applause/screams are Born To Run, Thunder Road and Born In The USA.

Yeah, any of those three are bigger songs than Rosalita, not that Rosalita isn't a big song of his, it's just not his signature.

Wow, there have been some good ones mentioned...ones that I totally forgot to mention. There was some extensive talk of Lynard Skynard which hit the nail right on the head IMO. It is a shame their other stuff just seems to get pushed to the back. I guess that is because 'Sweet Home Alabama' and 'Freebird' are slapped on nearly every rock compilation album going. Everyone overlooks their other stuff.

The Cure - Just Like Heaven

Portishead - Sour Times

Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus

Jimi Henderix - Purple Haze

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

Nine Inch Nails - Closer

Ministry - Stigmata

Lords of Acid - I Sit on Acid

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - A Daisy Chain For Satan

The Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun

The Sundays - Heres Where the Story Ends.

The Sneaker Pimps - 6 Underground

Poe - Angry Johny

Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing

Massive Attack - Teardrop

The Eagles - Hotel California

The Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle

Pink Floyd - Money

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

The Who - Baba O'Reilly

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday

The Doors - Light My Fire

Dire Straits - The Sultans of Swing

Bahaus - Bella Logousie's Dead

Love and Rockets - No New Tale to Tell

Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights

Heart - Barracuda

Ok I have to shut off my ipod now.

I think Wish You Were Here, Time, and Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2) are all more "signature" than Money. Just MHO.

Yeah, I would agree with that. Definitely with Another Brick In The Wall...I think that is more recognisable to the general public than Wish You Were Here. :thumbsup:

Some good lists up there people...well done. :yay:

I think Wish You Were Here, Time, and Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2) are all more "signature" than Money. Just MHO.

I don't know the Floyd sound and its evolution is hard to express, Dark Side seems to center it and Time illustrates it the best, though the evolution after that album is best captured by the Wall and Comfortably Numb illustrates all the elements better, but 5 in one you mention all those songs and more people will have heard Money than the others that is the non-floyd fans will no that more than Wish You Were Here as a Floyd song.

But I could be wrong it is hard to say.

THE MOODY BLUES -- NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN

ELP -- LUCKY MAN

ALVIN LEE -- GOIN' HOME

ALICE COOPER BAND -- EIGHTEEN

THE ARCHIES -- SUGAR, SUGAR

STEELY DAN -- REELIN' IN THE YEARS

IRON BUTTERFLY -- INNA GADDA DA VIDA

THE OUTLAWS -- GREEN GRASS AND HIGH TIDES

GOLDEN EARRING -- RADAR LOVE

ERIC CLAPTON -- LAYLA

JIMI HENDRIX -- PURPLE HAZE

THE GUESS WHO -- AMERICAN WOMAN

GEORGE THOROGOOD -- BAD TO THE BONE

BLACK SABBATH -- IRON MAN

BLUE OYSTER CULT -- DON'T FEAR THE REAPER

THE POLICE -- EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE

U2 - SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY

THE DOORS -- LIGHT MY FIRE

Sure that makes it easy....but if you pick a band with MANY hits..how do YOU determine defining song ?

The song that is most closely identifited with the group or if more than one song is closely identified with them, you would take the song that is their biggest hit.

The Goo Goo Dolls had hits before Iris, but that song is their defining track.

it has to be How Many More Times, more experimenting going on in that song, with the blues still as a strong forefront.

:hippy:B)

Hello Kith..

I pick "Kashmir" live as performed in 1977 as Zeppelin's defining song. I cannot separate the studio albums with the live performances.... it's all part of it to me.... which is to say, there's not an offically released live version of "Kashmir" that fully embodies what I'm talking about, with reference to the '77 performances...

Rosalita is far from Bruce's defining song. I've seen him in concert quite a few times and he's not performed that song at all and the songs that get the loudest applause/screams are Born To Run, Thunder Road and Born In The USA.

What can I say, he knows what we New Jersians want to hear the most.

Archived