The Ashes 2015

Reggie29

Because of the time difference between England and California, it is murder on me trying to follow both Wimbledon and the Ashes and still get enough sleep to work. Something had to give and it was the cricket. Wimbledon has priority over cricket.

Now that the tennis is over, I hope to catch up with the next test as best as I can. It is the exhausting nature of these long test matches that fascinates me the most about The Ashes. The athletic carry over from day-to-day has to be grueling.

Then, of course, there's the rivalry of Australia vs. England and the history behind it.

Well done, Poms. Hopefully we will bounce back. ... I think Watto has to go......

The feelings over here is that Brad Haddin is also past his sell by date. Dropping Root when he was on 4 was the deciding factor. Also, the Australians have to bowl according to the conditions. Lords will be a good pitch and the English will be swinging that ball accordingly. You can't just run up and hope for the best. We bowled magnificently at Cardiff and we will certainly have our tails up. Game on.

Sean: Test cricket can be exhausting. It is this and the conditions, weather, pitch etc, which decide the outcome. I expect the Australians to be far more focused at Lords. I got the feeling that they were far too sloppy in Cardiff. Thinking that they can just turn up and roll over the English was stupid as it was arrogant. To be honest the way we played certainly surprised me. I reckon this test will decide the series. Can't wait

The feelings over here is that Brad Haddin is also past his sell by date. Dropping Root when he was on 4 was the deciding factor. Also, the Australians have to bowl according to the conditions. Lords will be a good pitch and the English will be swinging that ball accordingly. You can't just run up and hope for the best. We bowled magnificently at Cardiff and we will certainly have our tails up. Game on.

Sean: Test cricket can be exhausting. It is this and the conditions, weather, pitch etc, which decide the outcome. I expect the Australians to be far more focused at Lords. I got the feeling that they were far too sloppy in Cardiff. Thinking that they can just turn up and roll over the English was stupid as it was arrogant. To be honest the way we played certainly surprised me. I reckon this test will decide the series. Can't wait

I don't think that was the case at all.

There are a few of factors that could be considered.

Personally, I believe it is almost always better to bat first especially if the weather may turn for the worse as it so often does in the UK.

Winning the toss is important as whoever bats last invariably struggles wit deteriorating pitches etc.

Sometimes too much Cricket is as bad as not enough and players run the risk of becoming complacent.

A long hot summer in Australia, the IPL, Big Bash and then a tour of the Windies, with a few short breaks in between.

The selectors relied too much on Harris playing, who should not have been picked to tour in the first place given his run of injuries, IMO.

Making Watson the scapegoat is not right and totally unfair, having said that I would've picked Marsh before him and that was a selection blunder akin to Harris.

Haddin is ok and dropping a catch happens to the best of them, I seem to recall the Poms dropping a couple of sitters too.

The bowling was good from both teams, the only difference was the middle order batting where England did better in the first innings.

At the end of the day England won fair and square and so they should, playing at home.

I don't think that was the case at all.

There are a few of factors that could be considered.

Personally, I believe it is almost always better to bat first especially if the weather may turn for the worse as it so often does in the UK.

Winning the toss is important as whoever bats last invariably struggles wit deteriorating pitches etc.

Sometimes too much Cricket is as bad as not enough and players run the risk of becoming complacent.

A long hot summer in Australia, the IPL, Big Bash and then a tour of the Windies, with a few short breaks in between.

The selectors relied too much on Harris playing, who should not have been picked to tour in the first place given his run of injuries, IMO.

Making Watson the scapegoat is not right and totally unfair, having said that I would've picked Marsh before him and that was a selection blunder akin to Harris.

Haddin is ok and dropping a catch happens to the best of them, I seem to recall the Poms dropping a couple of sitters too.

The bowling was good from both teams, the only difference was the middle order batting where England did better in the first innings.

At the end of the day England won fair and square and so they should, playing at home.

Reggie, I just think we bowled far better. We put the ball in the areas that made the Australians play the ball. Full. Sorry I didn't mean to be so dismissive by saying arrogant - i retract that, but the facts remain we played cricket to suit the conditions. It will be interesting on Thursday. Starc could play - but do you risk him as he is not fully fit? I suspect you could see our old mate Siddel and maybe Marsh instead of Watson. Forecast is good for Lords so expect another cracking test

To be honest Haddin kept exceptionally well - as the bowling was so wayward at times, byes would have been the top scorer in the match had he not been diving all over the place.

I wouldn't use the word awesome in describing his batting though Jules. His contribution to the first test was 22 and 7 - hardly in the league of Ian Healy or Adam Gilchrist. Looking at the batting line up I was quite surprised how short it is. Watson is not in the best of form and you could, quite confidently, put lbw on the scorecard before the start of the game. If it wasn't for 77 from Johnson it would have been all over much sooner. The last 3 batsman (Lyon got a blob) added 106 runs of a score of 242. So there is scope there. But the top order have to all make scores or have someone to cement the innings. I am sure the Aussies will be a different outfit on Thursday. Nothing worse than a wounded animal?

Moving on. Talk now is the refusal by the BG's of an offer of a beer after the first test. Tut Tut. Come on lads I know we are not renowned for a cold stubby and we don't have a beer to reach the delights of a VB, but have some amber nectar and chew the fat in the spirit of the game. I know Ponting reckons it was this bonhomie that lost the series in 2005 but.....

Latest from the front: Haddin out of Lords test due to personal reasons.

Hey Reggie: Treated myself a listen of Mountain Live due to your top live album picks. Haven't spun that for years. I warmed up with the Guitar solo from Twin Peaks. What a sound the big man had from that axe?

Edited by chillumpuffer

To be honest Haddin kept exceptionally well - as the bowling was so wayward at times, byes would have been the top scorer in the match had he not been diving all over the place.

I wouldn't use the word awesome in describing his batting though Jules. His contribution to the first test was 22 and 7 - hardly in the league of Ian Healy or Adam Gilchrist. Looking at the batting line up I was quite surprised how short it is. Watson is not in the best of form and you could, quite confidently, put lbw on the scorecard before the start of the game. If it wasn't for 77 from Johnson it would have been all over much sooner. The last 3 batsman (Lyon got a blob) added 106 runs of a score of 242. So there is scope there. But the top order have to all make scores or have someone to cement the innings. I am sure the Aussies will be a different outfit on Thursday. Nothing worse than a wounded animal?

Moving on. Talk now is the refusal by the BG's of an offer of a beer after the first test. Tut Tut. Come on lads I know we are not renowned for a cold stubby and we don't have a beer to reach the delights of a VB, but have some amber nectar and chew the fat in the spirit of the game. I know Ponting reckons it was this bonhomie that lost the series in 2005 but.....

Oh no! I hope his daughter isn't ill..... He has had some great batting innings in the past.... he's quite adept at sixes and fours.....

I hadn't heard about them not having a beer.... WTH is going on with that?

Oh no! I hope his daughter isn't ill..... He has had some great batting innings in the past.... he's quite adept at sixes and fours.....

I hadn't heard about them not having a beer.... WTH is going on with that?

Australia ring the changes for tomorrows 2nd test.

Haddin out. Personal reasons rather than his current form. But you said in Jules ! His replacement will be the uncapped Peter Nevill

Watson dropped. How many Mitchell's do you need in a side? He will be replaced by Mitchell Marsh. If MM does well that could end Watson's test career.

Regarding the beer incident - a search will bring the story up. https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/cricket-anderson-reveals-beer-offer-snub-061458001--spt.html

Australia ring the changes for tomorrows 2nd test.

Haddin out. Personal reasons rather than his current form. But you said in Jules ! His replacement will be the uncapped Peter Nevill

Watson dropped. How many Mitchell's do you need in a side? He will be replaced by Mitchell Marsh. If MM does well that could end Watson's test career.

Regarding the beer incident - a search will bring the story up. https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/cricket-anderson-reveals-beer-offer-snub-061458001--spt.html

How many can we have!?

Marsh goes alright and so does his brother Sean, not sure about how Nevill will handle it and Siddle has been mentioned too if Starc can't play but I think he'll be ok.

One mystery is, whatever happened to Agar?

He bowled well and almost scored a century (99) last time around and considering Cardiff suited spin he may have been handy.

Typical sensationalised journalism. The headline read, "refused" when the article read, Anderson said, "turned down the offer", which means declined. A very big difference.

Writers love to report out of context. They should stick to reporting on the game and forget about whether or not players get on this piss together.

Excellent batting from Rogers and Smith. Warner must be kicking himself?

Don't get too excited there down under. This is a batsman's paradise of a pitch and i think our local village side could make 400. No swing, no turn on a flat pitch. I reckon you will get 5 or 6 hundred and we will do the same. A draw is most likely. On commentary the consensus of opinion is England have produced a poor test pitch unlike the one they prepared for NZ earlier this summer. Shame for the spectators as it will become a dull affair and even more shame on Andrew Strauss for ordering a lifeless strip of turf.

Again I reiterate my thoughts on why Old Trafford was not given a test as they produce fantastic pitches.

ooooops ! Still reckon we'll get a draw. The Aussies bowled great. Fast and intimidating. Be tough for sure this morning. Can't panic and play every ball as it comes.

Yes, so much for it being a batters paradise, once the clouds rolled in the bowlers were always going to benefit.

The turnaround in form of both sides was something to see.

It was obvious by the shot Smith got out on (a reverse sweep!?), that after he scored his double century, the instructions were to score as many quick runs as possible before the declaration.

The way England are batting they'll be 200 all out by lunch as Cook is a slow scorer at the best of times and Stokes is probably the best of the tail.

IF that were to happen I'd be surprised if Australia enforced the follow on because a draw is almost certain but a win is more important to square up the series.

Australia bats for a session or two and declare with a lead of 450-500 with 5-6 sessions to bowl the Poms out on a dereriorating pitch that will suit spin.

Regardless, all the pressure is on England to save the match.

I cannot believe Sky Sports played a bit of "Moby Dick" during the start of and end of a segment called "Pace Like Fire" (where this episode was on the lethal West Indian pace bowling of the 1970's and 1980's)! Wow! Talk about finding Led Zeppelin in an unrelated place! :D

Edited by Emily008

It took a bit longer than I thought but good on England for having a go but the plan panned out as I suspected..

I was happy for Cook and "grudgingly" hoped he would go on to score a century but it was not to be.

The wicket looks good for spin.

What happened to Rogers retiring ill? I missed that.

Warner has obviously lerant his lesson and is on the way to a ton.

Should be an interesting day today and set up a thrilling last days play tomorrow.

Edited by Reggie29