The Smiths

Zeppy98

Yes, I liked The Smiths and while I liked some of Morrissey's solo work ("Viva Hate" is my favourite), I am more a Johnny Marr fan.

Got to see Smithsmania first hand on my trips to England in 1983-84. By the time I returned to the U.S., KROQ 106.7 had made them huge in the L.A. area. While The Smiths would play tiny venues in other cities, even New York, they would play multiple dates in midsize theatres in L.A., as well as the 17,000 + capacity Irvine Meadows. Which was where I saw them for the sixth and final time before they broke up.

May 1984, I'm sat on a car park wall in Penistone, South Yorkshire, miserable as all f*ck and utterly hating my worthless, futile life.

Brooding on the godawful job I've recently started, in which I'm treated like a dog and paid £11 a day for a six-day week, I hear a song drifting towards me from a car radio:

'I was looking for a job and then I found a job and...'

Couldn't have been more apt!

May 1984, I'm sat on a car park wall in Penistone, South Yorkshire, miserable as all f*ck and utterly hating my worthless, futile life.

Brooding on the godawful job I've recently started, in which I'm treated like a dog and paid £11 a day for a six-day week, I hear a song drifting towards me from a car radio:

Ahhhh yes....I always thought the flowers in the hip pocket affectation was a bit much, though.

Penistone - know it well. Just over the hill from me.We used to go that way to Leeds - over the Woodhead Pass. Sometimes we would put the ever gorgeous and wonderful Kate Rusby on as she was born and still lives around there.

I like morrisey. he did a show here a few days ago. I was going to go but tickets were to expensive. never really listened to the smiths though.

this was my intro to morrisey and its still one of my favorite songs. it may not be as wild as led zeppelin but its uninhibited in its own way.

Definetly a acquired taste for Zep fans but Morrisey as a singer and Marr were top notch in their niche.

Agreed. Best band of the '80s IMHO.

Not really a fan of Morrissey's solo career, nor a huge fan of Marr's post-Smiths work either. To me, each one was at his best when they had the counterbalance of the other - plus the great rhythm section.

Which, interestingly enough, is pretty much the exact situation as Plant, Page, and Zep!

• 3 months later...

Archived