Comments from Non Fans

I was thinking about some comments and reactions I have heard over the years from people who are not Zeppelin fans.  

Freshman year in college - we were blasting studio Stairway in the dorm.  A crowd gathered in the hall to listen.  When the song was over the first comment was the very predictable "wow, what a great guitar solo".  Then our Resident Assistant (sophomore, preppy, liked Jackson Browne, Boz Skaggs, etc) said "Forget about the guitar solo, I want to know who is playing those drums !!"

What funny or interesting comments have you heard about Zeppelin from non-fans?

"I never heard of this Len Zeflin guy before but the guy ROCKS!!!" - random guy

"The singer sounded like some wounded tortilla fucker" - Ted Nugent

Some sweet, some sour

Grandmother 1986 while watching The Song Remains The Same on Christmas Day. "George, didn't I take you to see these guys? Me, Wait, Grandma you saw Zeppelin? Yes, it was SO loud and the guitar player was so skinny". My uncle George was 13 in 1973 and she took him to go see Zeppelin at The Chicago Stadium that summer. 

George saw Zeppelin again in 77 at the Chicago Stadium and was at the show that ended early. Sadly he passed away in 1990. My grandmother however is still alive - she's 94!   

Here's another one I recall.

A bunch of us went to the TSRTS movie for like the fourth time the first year it came out.  One non fan joined us.  After the movie she said "Well, they are pretty good, but they need to get some better material."

The first or second time I went to what was my go-to butcher for the last two years, Dazed and Confused from How the West Was Won was playing through their system. I was very pleased, of course, and said something to the effect of hell yeah, nice taste you have there. The response was along the lines of, hell yeah man, I think this one's called LA Drone. .......I didn't correct him lol...have to show some semblance of restraint now and then...right?

About a year ago my father re did his entire system. He's not a Zeppelin fan, his favorites are others from those days. Too heavy for him (understandable). Nonetheless, when the system was done and ready, he had a glass of scotch, I turned the lights just about all the way down, and I played him No Quarter from TSRTS. He said it was his favorite thing he ever heard!

Edited by paplbojo

• 11 months later...

Around 1990 I was at the company picnic/softball game.  One of the people who worked with me had said they wanted to hear some live Zeppelin.  I brought my cassette of Listen to this Eddie and we cranked it up on a boombox (this was 1990 after all).  My boss overheard some of it and said very loudly to his boss: "That sounds like a crying baby!" in reference to Plant.

Edited by John M

I worked at this company in Chicago around 1989 owned by three guys. One guy, my boss, ran the office & staff, the other older guy of around 68 ran the sales staff, and the last guy, a dead ringer for Sean Connery, the warehouse. We were at a company event when the DJ put on Trampled Underfoot. The sales guy started whining about the music, said anyone who likes such crap should be fired. My boss looked at him and said, "Buzz (yep, that was his name), You wanna buy me out and run the show on your own? Because if you ever make such an asinine crack again that is exactly what will happen." Priceless, Buzz's expression dropped like a shitty souffle, shuffling off to lick his wounds.

Joe, wherever you are, you are a good man, a true raver!

8 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I worked at this company in Chicago around 1989 owned by three guys. One guy, my boss, ran the office & staff, the other older guy of around 68 ran the sales staff, and the last guy, a dead ringer for Sean Connery, the warehouse. We were at a company event when the DJ put on Trampled Underfoot. The sales guy started whining about the music, said anyone who likes such crap should be fired. My boss looked at him and said, "Buzz (yep, that was his name), You wanna buy me out and run the show on your own? Because if you ever make such an asinine crack again that is exactly what will happen." Priceless, Buzz's expression dropped like a shitty souffle, shuffling off to lick his wounds.

Joe, wherever you are, you are a good man, a true raver!

Great story !  

On 7/2/2019 at 5:33 PM, John M said:

Around 1990 I was at the company picnic/softball game.  One of the people who worked with me had said they wanted to hear some live Zeppelin.  I brought my cassette of Listen to this Eddie and we cranked it up on a boombox (this was 1990 after all).  My boss overheard some of it and said very loudly to his boss: "That sounds like a crying baby!" in reference to Plant.

That comment kind of made me scratch my head at first because Plant’s wailing vocals from the early days (which could have been mistaken for a baby crying) were pretty much all but gone by this time period. 

So I put on this show and nodded my head in amusement as Plant started singing Since I’ve Been Loving You. 

11 hours ago, William Austin said:

That comment kind of made me scratch my head at first because Plant’s wailing vocals from the early days (which could have been mistaken for a baby crying) were pretty much all but gone by this time period. 

So I put on this show and nodded my head in amusement as Plant started singing Since I’ve Been Loving You. 

I think alot of it has to do with someone's perspective and what else they listen to.  This guy was into 1940s and 1950s blues and R n B.  So he liked alot of great music.  He got me to listen to Little Walter, who at the time I had not heard before.  Little Walter was amazing.

Around the same time a younger guy I worked with (who was into 80s alternative rock bands like Eleventh Dream Day etc) listened to a Zep compilation tape I made him and said Plant sounded like someone was strangling a cat.  I recall I had put For Your Life as the first track on the cassette because I thought it might appeal to his taste.  I had also put Hots On and Wearing and Tearing near the beginning of the mix tape.

4 hours ago, John M said:

I think alot of it has to do with someone's perspective and what else they listen to.  This guy was into 1940s and 1950s blues and R n B.  So he liked alot of great music.  He got me to listen to Little Walter, who at the time I had not heard before.  Little Walter was amazing.

Around the same time a younger guy I worked with (who was into 80s alternative rock bands like Eleventh Dream Day etc) listened to a Zep compilation tape I made him and said Plant sounded like someone was strangling a cat.  I recall I had put For Your Life as the first track on the cassette because I thought it might appeal to his taste.  I had also put Hots On and Wearing and Tearing near the beginning of the mix tape.

The funny thing is it is all subjective. Your boss was likely given shit for liking Little Walter by someone who preferred Glenn Miller or Ragtime. Same with your 80's buddy. The Morrisey crowd who hated Plant's vocal stylings would themselves be blasted for Morresy's pretentious, whining vocal style. It's all relative, that's why I never take this stuff seriously. Don't forget, when Sinatra first came on the scene he was blasted for being too emotional in his delivery.

Edited by PeaceFrogYum