New Jimmy Page Biography Released

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/what-to-read/repression-sin-debauched-life-led-zeppelins-jimmy-page/

here’s another review...must be a slow news time in the UK...either that or book sales are lagging, otherwise why all the reviews a month after it came out...

new description of JP from Yardbrids manager: “partially gay”...never heard that one....how one can be partially gay is beyond me...

1 hour ago, Realperson said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/what-to-read/repression-sin-debauched-life-led-zeppelins-jimmy-page/

here’s another review...must be a slow news time in the UK...either that or book sales are lagging, otherwise why all the reviews a month after it came out...

new description of JP from Yardbrids manager: “partially gay”...never heard that one....how one can be partially gay is beyond me...

I guess that's when your wife or girlfriend sticks a finger up your backside and you enjoy it???

3 hours ago, Realperson said:

I'm not going to register with the Telegraph to read the whole article, but I bet that's Napier-Bell. He wrote a history of pop music called Black Vinyl White Powder, in which that was the central theory, that without gay managers / svengalis / musicians etc there never would have been any pop music. It was a well written book, but the theory wore distinctly thin after a while.

32 minutes ago, 76229 said:

I'm not going to register with the Telegraph to read the whole article, but I bet that's Napier-Bell. He wrote a history of pop music called Black Vinyl White Powder, in which that was the central theory, that without gay managers / svengalis / musicians etc there never would have been any pop music. It was a well written book, but the theory wore distinctly thin after a while.

Yeah, it was him....his book sounds interesting but I still don’t get the term “partially gay.” Imo it’s an impossibility. Either you’re gay (primary romantic feelings for same sex) or you aren’t. That’s not to say that all people, either gay or straight, couldn’t have had sex with someone of the sex they’re not primarily attracted to...but that doesn’t make you “gay.” Even if someone considers himself or herself bisexual, they likely have a preference, and still, that’s not being “partially gay”

On 8/25/2018 at 8:43 PM, Realperson said:

Lmao....I thought the same thing...a goat? So Biblical on the wrong side from Satan....and so prosaic....

also where does one find a live goat in Manhattan if you’re at, say, Atlantic records headquarters completing a business deal ?

Isn't Capricorn the goat?! LOL

And... not that hard to find a live goat in Manhattan. My grandparents lived there and were adventurous - always making new friends and trying new things. Once, in the late 1960's or early '70's, they were invited to a party thrown by a Haitian couple they had recently met. My grandmother went to use the bathroom and heard a noise behind the shower curtain. She checked and there was a goat! She grabbed my grandfather and they departed! Evidently, not adventurous enough to participate in a voodoo ceremony! 

51 minutes ago, EaglesOfOneNest said:

Isn't Capricorn the goat?! LOL

And... not that hard to find a live goat in Manhattan. My grandparents lived there and were adventurous - always making new friends and trying new things. Once, in the late 1960's or early '70's, they were invited to a party thrown by a Haitian couple they had recently met. My grandmother went to use the bathroom and heard a noise behind the shower curtain. She checked and there was a goat! She grabbed my grandfather and they departed! Evidently, not adventurous enough to participate in a voodoo ceremony! 

Lol, Good catch...I forgot about goat sacrifice in voodoo and that there’s a large Haitian population in NYC...I always think about someone dancing around and biting a chicken’s head off when I think about voodoo...

11 hours ago, Realperson said:

Lol, Good catch...I forgot about goat sacrifice in voodoo and that there’s a large Haitian population in NYC...I always think about someone dancing around and biting a chicken’s head off when I think about voodoo...

Yes, I can see it now, plain as day. Jimmy Page, English dandy in red velvet suit with purple satin shirt knocking on some Haitian's door in a cold water tenement in Flatbush at 2am. "Pardon me ma'am, would you by any chance have a goat I may purchase?"

After which the "partially gay" Page celebrates by heading down to Christopher St. in the Village for a quit rub & tug at the Stonewall.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:28 AM, The Rover said:

Are there not any groupies or roadies, other than Richard Cole, that could insight into the band??

What's holdinh them back. The threat of lawsuits??

Come on, man think about it. How compelling do you think a book by a groupie or a roadie would be? The majority of people who could have written any insightful, tell all books about Jimmy Page or Led Zeppelin are long since deceased. The reason they didn't write them while alive is they were loyal to the band members and their families. 

Edited by SteveAJones

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Come on, man think about it. How compelling do you think a book by a groupie or a roadie would be? The majority of people who could have written any insightful, tell all books about Jimmy Page or Led Zeppelin are long since deceased. The reason they didn't write them while alive is they were loyal to the band members and their families. 

Sounds like a completely different (and better) time.

8 hours ago, mysticman560 said:

That's the only interesting review of this book I've seen so far. The allegation about Page having 50% of the profit from the band when signing the deal in 1968 raised my eyebrows. I wonder what Salewicz' source is for that? With Ertegun, Wexler & Grant all deceased, (and Page didn't speak to the author for this so it can't be him) i can only speculate either another member of the band, or more likely second hand from one of the entourage??

Edited by 76229

8 hours ago, IpMan said:

Yes, I can see it now, plain as day. Jimmy Page, English dandy in red velvet suit with purple satin shirt knocking on some Haitian's door in a cold water tenement in Flatbush at 2am. "Pardon me ma'am, would you by any chance have a goat I may purchase?"

After which the "partially gay" Page celebrates by heading down to Christopher St. in the Village for a quit rub & tug at the Stonewall.

Lmao....I wondered who that colorful guy with the goat trailing behind him was in those riot photos from 1969....

I got the book on Friday and finished it today and it's ok. The first third of it is quite decent and is relatively illuminating on Jimmy's early years and contains some new information that I hadn't come across before. It then lags and aside from a few snippets here and there descends into the same territory that all Zeppelin biographies do. Some assertions in it are just laughable at times. Eg, Robert Plant's nickname 'Percy' is because he is tight. Purse-y. Percy. Plant's 'Percy' nickname was coined because on British TV in the 1970s there was a gardener called Percy Thrower. Gardeners handle flowers and PLANTS. Hence, Percy Plant. Admittedly it's not a great nickname but the most basic of research will tell even the laziest journalist the facts. There are a few more clangers like that.

Interestingly, the author also reveals that Page's long awaited second solo album was going to include vocals from Chris Cornell but that was shelved when Chris Cornell very sadly passed away. There was undoubtedly a very warm friendship between Page and Cornell, but I hadn't heard this before and I wonder if anyone else has. Cornell was talented as a songwriter himself so that potential partnership could have been promising.

All in all, a rather lacklustre effort. 5/10.

The Barney Hoskyns book is a far better read and much more comprehensive in my opinion. I know others say the Mick Wall book but although that is decent, the laughable re-imagining of each members internal thoughts at the beginning or end of some of the chapters is so embarrassing I gave up reading those sections.

33 minutes ago, morningson said:

I got the book on Friday and finished it today and it's ok. The first third of it is quite decent and is relatively illuminating on Jimmy's early years and contains some new information that I hadn't come across before. It then lags and aside from a few snippets here and there descends into the same territory that all Zeppelin biographies do. Some assertions in it are just laughable at times. Eg, Robert Plant's nickname 'Percy' is because he is tight. Purse-y. Percy. Plant's 'Percy' nickname was coined because on British TV in the 1970s there was a gardener called Percy Thrower. Gardeners handle flowers and PLANTS. Hence, Percy Plant. Admittedly it's not a great nickname but the most basic of research will tell even the laziest journalist the facts. There are a few more clangers like that.

Interestingly, the author also reveals that Page's long awaited second solo album was going to include vocals from Chris Cornell but that was shelved when Chris Cornell very sadly passed away. There was undoubtedly a very warm friendship between Page and Cornell, but I hadn't heard this before and I wonder if anyone else has. Cornell was talented as a songwriter himself so that potential partnership could have been promising.

All in all, a rather lacklustre effort. 5/10.

The Barney Hoskyns book is a far better read and much more comprehensive in my opinion. I know others say the Mick Wall book but although that is decent, the laughable re-imagining of each members internal thoughts at the beginning or end of some of the chapters is so embarrassing I gave up reading those sections.

I was under the impression the Percy nickname was a reference to a certain part of his anatomy....similar to his previous nickname of Plonk (as in plonker being a slang term for said part).

Presume the new information you're referring to is the thing about Page's parents splitting up in the sixties? I had thought that happened about a decade later. Agree re: Barney Hoskyns, though annoyingly I can see myself weakening & buying this book just to get the early-life stuff. Resist! I must save the cash for the 50th anniversary stuff! Close that wallet...

4 hours ago, 76229 said:

I was under the impression the Percy nickname was a reference to a certain part of his anatomy....similar to his previous nickname of Plonk (as in plonker being a slang term for said part).

Presume the new information you're referring to is the thing about Page's parents splitting up in the sixties? I had thought that happened about a decade later. Agree re: Barney Hoskyns, though annoyingly I can see myself weakening & buying this book just to get the early-life stuff. Resist! I must save the cash for the 50th anniversary stuff! Close that wallet...

Yes, it does reveal that but there is more on Jimmy's early life too, including his session days era that I didn't know. Another point I omitted from my earlier post was Simon Napier-Bell's input. As well as the aforementioned posts above about Page being "partially gay", he refers to Jimmy as "sneering" on no less than five occasions. Although, in fairness, he does praise him in other parts. I really did quite enjoy the first half of the book to be honest. It was interesting and in some chapters revelatory. With regard to the second half, however, on the whole the song remained the same as many other biographies about the band.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:49 PM, 76229 said:

The allegation about Page having 50% of the profit from the band when signing the deal in 1968 raised my eyebrows. I wonder what Salewicz' source is for that? 

It's a guess to be sure. Besides, there is no "profit" on an advance...but there would of been a percentage on earnings. See further discussion at the link below.

https://www.iheart.com/content/2018-08-21-paul-rodgers-advice-got-robert-plant-tons-of-money-in-led-zeppelin/

7 hours ago, 76229 said:

His parents did not divorce until the mid-1970s. Jimmy was still residing with them on Miles Road in Epsom until he purchased the house boat in Pangbourne in 1967/68.

2 hours ago, morningson said:

Another point I omitted from my earlier post was Simon Napier-Bell's input. As well as the aforementioned posts above about Page being "partially gay", he refers to Jimmy as "sneering" on no less than five occasions. Although, in fairness, he does praise him in other parts.

SNB comes across as a jilted...cigarette. 

8 hours ago, morningson said:

Interestingly, the author also reveals that Page's long awaited second solo album was going to include vocals from Chris Cornell but that was shelved when Chris Cornell very sadly passed away. There was undoubtedly a very warm friendship between Page and Cornell, but I hadn't heard this before and I wonder if anyone else has. 

I'm away from my notes at the moment, but I vaguely recall Chris did some casual jamming with Jimmy. I don't think any of it was recorded and it would have been during a Cornell project, not a Jimmy project as he's never really had one. 

On 8/28/2018 at 8:49 AM, 76229 said:

That's the only interesting review of this book I've seen so far. The allegation about Page having 50% of the profit from the band when signing the deal in 1968 raised my eyebrows. I wonder what Salewicz' source is for that? With Ertegun, Wexler & Grant all deceased, (and Page didn't speak to the author for this so it can't be him) i can only speculate either another member of the band, or more likely second hand from one of the entourage??

It would be hard to believe that Page convinced the other members to accept any deal like that, but then again they might've realized the potential Page had to be successful in the business and took the gamble. This might also explain why Plant strayed away from his Zep history so much post-breakup (apart from the terrible experiences he had). Talking about and promoting Zep would've only been putting money in Page's pocket. I think it's well known that Page did indeed have the majority on creative control anyway.

This interview hints at the situation a little.

31 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

It would be hard to believe that Page convinced the other members to accept any deal like that, but then again they might've realized the potential Page had to be successful in the business and took the gamble. This might also explain why Plant strayed away from his Zep history so much post-breakup (apart from the terrible experiences he had). Talking about and promoting Zep would've only been putting money in Page's pocket. I think it's well known that Page did indeed have the majority on creative control anyway.

Plant (a percentage) and Bonham (a salary) did receive a smaller cut, so to speak, than Page & Jones initially.

Plant had downplayed his connection to Led Zeppelin 1980-87 primarily to establish himself as a solo artist. 

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Plant (a percentage) and Bonham (a salary) did receive a smaller cut, so to speak, than Page & Jones initially.

Plant had downplayed his connection to Led Zeppelin 1980-87 primarily to establish himself as a solo artist. 

What is initially?

Did the 4 rework things into a 4 way split when things got really huge - as all 4 were essentially equal contributors to the Led Zeppelin sound/product/direction. (which I believe was the case from pretty early on)

10 hours ago, rm2551 said:

What is initially?

Did the 4 rework things into a 4 way split when things got really huge - as all 4 were essentially equal contributors to the Led Zeppelin sound/product/direction. (which I believe was the case from pretty early on)

Yes, it was after a year so, more specifically sometime after the release of the second album but before the third if I recall correctly.

10 hours ago, rm2551 said:

What is initially?

If it's true (a big if) my guess is it was renegotiated some time like 1970 once it was really getting "playing the LA Forum" big.

12 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

It would be hard to believe that Page convinced the other members to accept any deal like that, but then again they might've realized the potential Page had to be successful in the business and took the gamble.

You have to bear in mind how transient things were in rock and roll then. Bands often split after one album, and Plant said he thought he might be fired even after the first US tour. Jones said he thought it'd last two or three albums then he'd go back into arranging work. I can see them accepting pretty much any deal in the early days, maybe it was a case of "let's just point ourselves at an audience & see what happens".

14 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I'm away from my notes at the moment, but I vaguely recall Chris did some casual jamming with Jimmy. I don't think any of it was recorded and it would have been during a Cornell project, not a Jimmy project as he's never really had one. 

That's such a shame it never went anywhere. Chris Cornell had the best voice in hard rock since Plant himself, and a collaboration would have been Page's perfect answer to Plant / Krauss. A real missed opportunity.

15 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

SNB comes across as a jilted...cigarette. 

Napier-Bell did admit (I think it was in that documentary he did on music managers) he felt a bit of an imposter in the early days, was lacking in confidence until he'd got experience in the industry. Whereas Page in 1966 was already a veteran by industry standards, and kind of bristled with confidence. In terms of personality type, not exactly a match made in heaven. By contrast I'd imagine the partnership with Grant clicked right from the start.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:04 PM, 76229 said:

That's such a shame it never went anywhere. Chris Cornell had the best voice in hard rock since Plant himself, and a collaboration would have been Page's perfect answer to Plant / Krauss. A real missed opportunity.

It is a shame. Chris Cornell was so good.

Same with Michael Lee.. Jimmy had a Drummer he could really lock in with, probably the best match for him since John Bonham..