Radio Stations that Still Get the Led Out!

On 3/9/2019 at 7:57 PM, Gratefulzepp said:

Q1043 here in New York Carol Miller still gets the Led out Monday thru Friday at 8pm. Mondays she does a whole hour of Zepp from 8-9. Back in the early 90's she'd once in a while play tracks from Zurich in 1980. That's how I found out about that concert and started me on wanting more rare live stuff.

Unfortunately, the year 1980 was the same year that their drummer, (John Bonham) kicked the bucket..bet Carol Miller, broadcasted the bad news, when she found out.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember WDIZ (100.3 FM) in Orlando got the Led out every weeknight during the 1980s at 9:00 PM. The hits, deep cuts, they played them all.

Edited by Aerobics
Needed to add decade.

• 3 years later...
On 3/2/2019 at 12:57 AM, Christopher Lees said:

When I was a kid back in the 80s, classic rock (they just called it rock radio back then) stations would routinely have a special time set aside each weeknight where they would play three Zeppelin songs back to back to back. Where I grew up in New Hampshire, it was Portsmouth's WHEB 100.3. At 10:00 every weeknight, they would play three Zeppelin songs. Every now and then they would even play something from a bootleg, so I had a blank cassette in the radio with my finger on the record button at all times.

Nowadays it's hard to find radio stations that are still getting the Led out. However, 102.9 WBLM in Portland Maine still gets the Led out at 10:00!

Let's hear from Zep fans from around the world on this and see which COOL radio stations are still getting the Led out.

Christopher, excellent!  You should simply post this each year, every year. 

Excellent comment!

Hello All, Mr. Chef Free may have mentioned this already, but our local SF station here in Northern Ca 107.7 the Bone still gets the Lead out. There was a 20 year period where they had some very good DJ’s that would actually play a couple of hours of Zeppelin every night. They would do it at 7:00pm and they started getting into Bootlegs. I would on occasion get a little upset as they would play shit bootlegs with shit sound from a shit show and I personally would get upset being as big of a Zeppelin fan as there could be, because I felt is was not representative of who they are and were.

This is off topic, but I have been listening to early Bootlegs and albums, the Lemon Song, and Sitting and Thinking are just truly out of this world. If we want to hear this band at their height, all members getting into it, playing unbelievably complex, brilliant music. Throw on the Lemon Song. It is truly a masterpiece. I don’t care if Robert borrowed every blues lyrics that exist, Jimmy obviously was inspired by several blues standards, JPJ is out of his mind on that song, and JB is just in another class altogether. But that song is just as raw, as classic, and to me it is an example of what the best band in the world sounds like. I understand that it may not be their best song, I would argue that it is just a pure exercise of musicianship. All 4 of them are just beyond words or explanation. 

Cheers all. Have a great night. 

58 minutes ago, Plant77 said:

Hello All, Mr. Chef Free may have mentioned this already, but our local SF station here in Northern Ca 107.7 the Bone still gets the Lead out. There was a 20 year period where they had some very good DJ’s that would actually play a couple of hours of Zeppelin every night. They would do it at 7:00pm and they started getting into Bootlegs. I would on occasion get a little upset as they would play shit bootlegs with shit sound from a shit show and I personally would get upset being as big of a Zeppelin fan as there could be, because I felt is was not representative of who they are and were.

I prefer 104.1 The Hawk out of Sac for getting the led out. They tend to play a few more songs than the Bone.

I guess playing bootlegs on a commercial channel has legal hurdles, but far out, I seldom hear anything from TSRTS soundtrack, which is an official release, and practically never hear any RAH numbers.

It really is disappointing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2023 at 8:46 PM, shnflacwav said:

I prefer 104.1 The Hawk out of Sac for getting the led out. They tend to play a few more songs than the Bone.

I have been able to get that station when I was driving through that area. And you are right, they play great music in general. I have Satellite now, and while there are some great stations. They don’t play nearly enough Zeppelin on there. But, I can just hit Apple play and play them whenever I want. There is still something about hearing them come on without my decision to make them come on. 

Thanks for the reminder though. That was a cool station when my wife and I would drive through that area taking the boat out. Hope they are still around. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 9:41 PM, Mary,n said:

There's another radio station in California, (KZRO) that not only plays Led Zeppelin's music, but they carry the "get the Led out with Carol Miller" syndicated show..not just the hour long version, but also a "Carol Miller's get the Led out" minute which is just the part where she talks about the band. 

Great to know Carol is still around and doing this!

The Detroit area still has several rock stations, including WLLZ, which they've always claimed stands for 'We love Led Zeppelin'.  I haven't listened to any corporate radio for years though.  I'm sure Zeppelin still gets plenty of airplay, it's the rest of their playlist I can't tolerate.

Got Sirius for 3 months with a new vehicle and signed up for another 2 years at $10.95 a month.  I think that's a fair price these days, even for a poor retiree like me. 

• 2 weeks later...

In Cincinnati they STILL DO get the Led OUT Weekdays at 10 PM 

However WEBNs deep cuts are just so so & they NEVER do ANYTHING LIKE

👉🏼WTUE  104.7 IN DAYTON OHIO ! who we can catch pretty clearly somXs in cincy!

Dayton ROCK RADIO was ALWAYS ROCKIN  even WEEKNIGHTS  where webn would puss out after 1-2 fast songs & nowadays they ALL just repeat welcome to the jungle etc...&  same 4 pink floyd   Tunes Over & over & 

over&

over🙄!

Like theirs an agenda of some sorts ! Im tellin you i heard sweet child o mine 7-8X one day between 3 Cincinnati stations straight ACROSS THE DIAL IN CINCINNATI!

WTF?

Anyway WTUE DAYTON would pushthe 3 in a row to MORE & then shove ANY songs affiliated with zep for probably the rest of the hour!!

it was AWSOME !From the FIRM , to solo Plant to tribute covers from the Mainstream more current bands album computations of ZEP SONGS  ,to Bad Company who was on Zeps SWAN SONG label & throw out FUN Zep facts , Even things like Robert Plant sound bites mentioning WTUE! 

Just  really made it a lot more fun !

THATS HOW I WOULD DO IT TOO!!!

most of Zeps deep cuts are worthy of much more air play!!

• 7 months later...

I’m popping in from Northern Ky area, and happened across Cincinnati’s 92.5 The Fox tonight at 10:00, and wouldn’t you know it….. They’re still getting the LED out! I’m just stoked on this one. Love hearing some of the more obscure Zeppelin.