Radio Stations that Still Get the Led Out!

When I was a kid back in the 80s, classic rock (they just called it rock radio back then) stations would routinely have a special time set aside each weeknight where they would play three Zeppelin songs back to back to back. Where I grew up in New Hampshire, it was Portsmouth's WHEB 100.3. At 10:00 every weeknight, they would play three Zeppelin songs. Every now and then they would even play something from a bootleg, so I had a blank cassette in the radio with my finger on the record button at all times.

Nowadays it's hard to find radio stations that are still getting the Led out. However, 102.9 WBLM in Portland Maine still gets the Led out at 10:00!

Let's hear from Zep fans from around the world on this and see which COOL radio stations are still getting the Led out.

In Minneapolis KQRS was our classic rock station, and they do play Led Zeppelin, but gone are the days when you could easily tune in and hear The Beatles, The Stones, Traffic, Cream or Hendrix. They insistently play Guns and Roses and AC/DC and a lot of the bands that, much to Robert Plants embarrassment,  were influenced by Zeppelin but missed the point.

The local classic rock radio station (K-Rock 97.5) plays Led Zeppelin on a regular basis, including Zep songs that aren't normally played often. They also play a lot of other great classic rocks songs and mix it up with some newer classic rock songs. 

Unfortunately, like most classic rock radio stations, they tend to play the same songs over and over. 

Here in Eastern Massachusetts we have 100.7 WZLX's "Stairway to Seven" nightly...always a factoid for the fans and sometimes live and alternate takes from the various releases.  This has been a thing for quite some time...

4 hours ago, Darth Hoek said:

Here in Eastern Massachusetts we have 100.7 WZLX's "Stairway to Seven" nightly...always a factoid for the fans and sometimes live and alternate takes from the various releases.  This has been a thing for quite some time..

I didn't realize that. I thought they gave up their Get the Led Out time spot a long time ago. Living in Western Mass, we used to have a Zeppelin set at 10:00 PM on Rock 102 out of Springfield. WZLX doesn't really come in out here. Good to hear they are still doing it!

Growing up just outside Boston it was listening to WBCN’s GTLO that got me hooked on Zeppelin in the late 80’s, early 90’s.  Somewhere on cassette I have a interview with Phil Carson during the Get the Led Out segment.  Like Darth said WZLX does it nightly at 7.

Edited by cubby73

led-zeppelin-95-klos-fm-led-promo-pin_1_28aec726f4dc6d2c95cf49c03e2b0c0a.jpg.f3dbda4fda0dbc3ef430d32bf8413330.jpg

Led Zeppelin has always been a constant presence on radio in Los Angeles/Southern California. KMET 94.7 FM, KLOS 95.5 FM, KWST 106 FM played Led Zeppelin every hour of the day in the 1970s. Hits, deep tracks, BBC broadcasts...even "Dazed and Confused" from the soundtrack of "The Song Remains the Same". All 28 minutes of it. Try finding a commercial radio station today that will play that.

K-West changed format from rock to Top 40 in 1981 but KMET and KLOS still cranked the Led in the 1980s even as U2, Huey Lewis and Motley Crue crept into the playlist. By 1987, KMET switched to The Wave, a new age/smooth jazz format.

As for the "Get the Led Out" segments that Christopher Lee's OP references, KLOS, I think, was one of the first stations to initiate that concept of playing three Led Zeppelin songs back-to-back-to-back during the drive-time hours between 5pm and 7pm. I certainly remember hearing "Get the Led Out" every day on KLOS upon my return from Germany in 1985.

Now there is a syndicated "Get the Led Out" show hosted by Carol Miller, which is different from the home-grown Get the Led Outs created by KLOS, WHEB, and other radio stations across the country. I don't know if KLOS still airs their Get the Led Out segment. I haven't listened to KLOS much since they fired Jim Ladd. I catch "Jonesy's Jukebox" and "Breakfast with the Beatles" from time to time on KLOS but that's about it.

With all the Led Zeppelin available (official releases and bootlegs) on Youtube, iTunes, and Spotify and elsewhere, the need for a "Get the Led Out" on radio isn't as great as it was in the 1980s and 1990s.

led-zeppelin-klos-rainbow-bumper_1_3390b3c951c22b5e60f4e1fd9b204de6.jpg.1516e6eb2301780487852c9d12fbe236.jpg

Edited by Strider

Q1043 here in New York Carol Miller still gets the Led out Monday thru Friday at 8pm. Mondays she does a whole hour of Zepp from 8-9. Back in the early 90's she'd once in a while play tracks from Zurich in 1980. That's how I found out about that concert and started me on wanting more rare live stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

WBIG 100.3 on Two-for Tuesdays will play a big Zep song (Immigrant song, stairway, heartbreaker) and then a REAL Zep song I've heard Tangerine, The Ocean, When the Levee Breaks, The Rover!!! Sometimes they will just play another biggie and that makes me furious. Also, just a side, I never knew Kashmir was big, and when I heard it on the radio I was surprised and I loved it, but now its always stuck in my head.

On 3/22/2019 at 8:52 PM, Sultan of Swing said:

WBIG 100.3 on Two-for Tuesdays will play a big Zep song (Immigrant song, stairway, heartbreaker) and then a REAL Zep song I've heard Tangerine, The Ocean, When the Levee Breaks, The Rover!!! Sometimes they will just play another biggie and that makes me furious. Also, just a side, I never knew Kashmir was big, and when I heard it on the radio I was surprised and I loved it, but now its always stuck in my head.

What town/city is WBIG 100.3 based out of?

I once called our local classic rock station that only plays the “Led 5” (RR, STH, BD, RO and MMH). 

There was a “guest DJ” and I asked him to play No Quarter. He had no idea what the song was but said “Oh yea I like that one “. 

When the song was over you could tell he was in shock!

The manager must have railed on him because he said that he would  to pay for that one or to that effect. 

Here in the Dallas/Fort Worth "Metroplex" area, there is a nightly (Mon-Fri) Get the Led Out at 9pm on Lonestar 92.5.  The DJ Ted McKay plays 3 songs.  After the third song ends, Ted gives a brief summary of those songs:  history, location, instruments, etc...

If I am in my car at 9, I always listen.  However, I usually am still working.

Edited by kingzoso

On 3/22/2019 at 5:52 PM, Sultan of Swing said:

Hell yes "Kashmir" was big! Probably behind only to "Stairway to Heaven" and maybe "Whole Lotta Love" in FM radio play. In fact, "Kashmir" was so popular with the rock radio crowd in the mid-to-late '70s that it actually knocked off "Stairway to Heaven" from #1 in the Memorial Day 500 for a year or two from 1977-79.

6 hours ago, No Quota said:

I once called our local classic rock station that only plays the “Led 5” (RR, STH, BD, RO and MMH). 

There was a “guest DJ” and I asked him to play No Quarter. He had no idea what the song was but said “Oh yea I like that one “. 

When the song was over you could tell he was in shock!

The manager must have railed on him because he said that he would  to pay for that one or to that effect. 

Let me get this straight...your local station plays "Ramble On" (or did you mean "Royal Orleans"?) and "Misty Mountain Hop" but not "Whole Lotta Love", "Heartbreaker", "Dazed and Confused", "Communication Breakdown", "When the Levee Breaks" or "Kashmir"? That's absurd. Their license should be revoked.

Basically, you can hear all the tracks on the "Remasters" or "Early Days/Latter Days" 2cd sets on the radio here in L.A. along with the odd deep cut and live track. Los Angeles is still a Led Zeppelin town.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

While growing up, learning guitar, dropping the needle on almost every Led Zeppelin song, I loved listening to the Get The Led Out program on KLOS radio.  Covered Led Zeppelin in my college band. (most of my renditions were wrong!). Damn I didn't know that Kashmir was tuned in DADGAD.  LOL.  Now, back to my roots after decades in the music business--paying/playing tribute the great Led Zeppelin.  I think I've gotten better at it!  I look at it like playing Bach in a symphony--as I believe this music will be looked upon 100 years from now.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2019 at 5:28 PM, Darth Hoek said:

Here in Eastern Massachusetts we have 100.7 WZLX's "Stairway to Seven" nightly...always a factoid for the fans and sometimes live and alternate takes from the various releases.  This has been a thing for quite some time...

In Chicago, 97.1 fm the drive does their own version of "stairway to seven" it's hosted by Steve seaver, and comes on at about 6:45 pm CDT. Weeknights. They play 2 Led Zeppelin songs, back to back.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:33 PM, Strider said:

Hell yes "Kashmir" was big! Probably behind only to "Stairway to Heaven" and maybe "Whole Lotta Love" in FM radio play. In fact, "Kashmir" was so popular with the rock radio crowd in the mid-to-late '70s that it actually knocked off "Stairway to Heaven" from #1 in the Memorial Day 500 for a year or two from 1977-79.

Let me get this straight...your local station plays "Ramble On" (or did you mean "Royal Orleans"?) and "Misty Mountain Hop" but not "Whole Lotta Love", "Heartbreaker", "Dazed and Confused", "Communication Breakdown", "When the Levee Breaks" or "Kashmir"? That's absurd. Their license should be revoked.

Basically, you can hear all the tracks on the "Remasters" or "Early Days/Latter Days" 2cd sets on the radio here in L.A. along with the odd deep cut and live track. Los Angeles is still a Led Zeppelin town.

There's another radio station in California, (KZRO) that not only plays Led Zeppelin's music, but they carry the "get the Led out with Carol Miller" syndicated show..not just the hour long version, but also a "Carol Miller's get the Led out" minute which is just the part where she talks about the band. 

On 3/2/2019 at 8:27 AM, Realperson said:

107.7 The Bone in SF still did Get The Led Out as recently as last year

Unfortunately they don't anymore.. i found out it's been replaced by another show.. Steve goreman rocks or something.. anyway I used to listen to "107.7 the bone" on iHeartRadio.. but not any longer..now

Edited by Mary,n
Forgot 2 words