Advice on Knebworth 1979 rare t -shirt

Hi everyone— !!

I’m seeking advice regards an original rare t -shirt I have from Knebworth 1979.

I acquired it around 1996 along with a grey/blue version (lost at a Cult gig in 2001) and paid quite a lot and this white one is what remains.

I’d like to know from anyone just how rare this might be and any kind of value...

I found an article in ultimateclassic rock website and the same t shirt gets mentioned.

httphttp://ultimateclassicrock.com/vintage-led-zeppelin-t-shirts/

the label in my t ahirt has faded but was the same as the one in the article.

Like the t shirt in the article mine also shows Lucifer with the showering scattered ‘fallen stars, it may also have been an amended design to also show ‘Plus the New Barbarians.

Anyway enough description, does anyone recognise this shirt and can shone any light on to it’s origin and position in the market place?

Many thanks

Silky Rubble

8A6C38A2-26C1-4048-B871-AE7DC96100A8.jpeg

13 hours ago, SILKY RUBBLE said:

Hi everyone— !!

I’m seeking advice regards an original rare t -shirt I have from Knebworth 1979.

I acquired it around 1996 along with a grey/blue version (lost at a Cult gig in 2001) and paid quite a lot and this white one is what remains.

I’d like to know from anyone just how rare this might be and any kind of value...

I found an article in ultimateclassic rock website and the same t shirt gets mentioned.

Like the t shirt in the article mine also shows Lucifer with the showering scattered ‘fallen stars, it may also have been an amended design to also show ‘Plus the New Barbarians.

Anyway enough description, does anyone recognise this shirt and can shone any light on to it’s origin and position in the market place?

Many thanks

Silky Rubble

Not an official Knebworth shirt. I have both the official ones.

9 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

That article is garbage. Those shirts aren't that valuable at all, except the 1980 one but nowhere near $5,000, lol.

Your Knebworth shirt is a bootleg. Probably a hundred dollars or so?

You're kidding $100 dollars for an unofficial T-shirt, wow. It looks cheap and nasty, shrunken and misshapen, typical of the majority of unofficial T's of the day.

Prospective buyers who actually recall seeing this shirt being sold during the Festival and are confident it's an original may be inclined to offer $100 or more but without some photographic proof or credible testimony this shirt was sold during the festival it may be difficult to sell to anyone for more than $100, if that. So many fake and reproduction t-shirts on the market nowadays that prospective buyers are skeptical. I can think of one Chinese merchant on ebay that sells reproductions of official concert merchandise within days of the event. Vintage items get reproduced too when the design and demand are there.   

The $5,000 Over Europe 1980 t-shirt in that article -- I am very skeptical about that valuation. About five years ago I purchased an original, authentic Over Europe 1980 sweater shirt very similar to that t-shirt from a credible source with a letter of provenance for about three hundred dollars including shipping and handling.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:59 AM, SILKY RUBBLE said:

Hi everyone— !!

Many thanks

Silky Rubble

Question: How did you "lose" your shirt at a concert? Sounds interesting, must have been one hell of a party.

Also, that is not a depiction of Lucifer, that is a rendering of Fall of Day painting by William Rimmer. It is a depiction of Icarus falling to earth after flying too close to the sun. There is a companion painting called, Oh Shit, Kids are Stupid which shows Daedalus looking up in disgust as his moron son falls to his death.

Neat shirt though, I would say worth about $5 and an "old fashioned" for a truly motivated buyer. You can get these several places and is not an official shirt.

Hello everyone who has replied to my posting, 

Just wanted to thank you all for your time and direct, informative and funny responses.

It's certainly added some light to the situation, and great to understand it's not Lucifer as I had believed (not even sure where that belief even came from)

My main reason for posting was to eliminate the possibility that it could be worth a substantial sum, it is, as you point out, not in the greatest shape and so likely to be worth the amounts you suggest.

As for the blue one lost, that was at a Cult gig (Heaven and Hell tour?) in 2001 at the BrIxton Academy, London, UK. I was down the front, with said t shirt stuffed into my back pocket and so that was the end of that... it must have become dislodged, lost by me and found by someone else... I did have a sense of loss after that actually -- ! lol

Anyway, if anyone else has anything to add, please go ahead, once again, thanks for your comments

SILKY

• 1 year later...

Archived