Japan 1971

Sticks of Fire

With the soon to be released 9/28 soundboard I have been listening to the tour.

I have always thought 9/23/71 was always possibly the best night of the tour. I never gave 9/24 much attention but this show is amazing.   I think the strongest vocals for Plant on Immigrant Song.

I sure hope 9/28 has Celebration Day.  The version on 9/24 is about as powerful as you’ll ever hear.  

Edited by Sticks of Fire

2 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

With the soon to be released 9/28 soundboard I have been listening to the tour.

I have always thought 9/23/71 was always possibly the best night of the tour. I never gave 9/24 much attention but this show is amazing.   I think the strongest vocals for Plant on Immigrant Song.

I sure hope 9/28 has Celebration Day.  The version on 9/24 is about as powerful as you’ll ever hear.  

I agree, but to add to that, each night the Whole Lotta Love medleys just kept getting better and tighter! I would be shocked if we'll ever see those as part of the new soundboards being released.  I have to say I've been anticipating updates any day now as to what songs are covered in those new tapes--praying the last half of the show is included.

No doubt, 924 is a pearl too. What a pity that the sound of the known AUD sources varies from bad to mediocre. Even the Graf Zeppelin release is a hard piece of work, except the few stereo parts.

Well, we DO need SB´s of 923, 924 and 927- and the rest of 929. In the best case Jimmy takes the multitracks to Abbey Road studios and get them fixed.

Japan 1971- the peak, the fucking grail..........

38 minutes ago, Tainted cheese said:

I agree, but to add to that, each night the Whole Lotta Love medleys just kept getting better and tighter! I would be shocked if we'll ever see those as part of the new soundboards being released.  I have to say I've been anticipating updates any day now as to what songs are covered in those new tapes--praying the last half of the show is included.

The WLL medleys from 9/23 and 9/24 can’t be beat.   9/23 has Good Times Bad Times and Tobacco Road and HMMT.

9/24 has many rarities too like Your Time Is Gonna Come and HMMT.

Both Osaka shows win for better encores tho.  

2 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

The WLL medleys from 9/23 and 9/24 can’t be beat.   9/23 has Good Times Bad Times and Tobacco Road and HMMT.

9/24 has many rarities too like Your Time Is Gonna Come and HMMT.

Both Osaka shows win for better encores tho.  

They are all so different & unique, hard to put them in the same ring together, but point taken . . . although getting 9/28 and possibly 24th someday is huge, since those past recordings are nowhere near the sound quality as what we had prior w/the others. It'll be a massive upgrade!

How about this: If Jimmy were to release a "How the East Was Won," what would you hope the setlist would be?

1. Immigrant Song: Main Song from the 24th, solo from the 29th

2. Heartbreaker (29th, with some vocals from earlier dates)

3. Since I've Been Loving You (23rd)

4. Black Dog (24th)

5. Dazed and Confused (29th)

6. Stairway to Heaven (23rd)

7. Celebration Day (28th)

8. Please Please Me/From Me to You (28th)

9. Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp (28th)

10. That's the Way (29th)

11. Going to California (29th)

12. We Shall Overcome (28th)

13. Tangerine (28th)

14. Down by the Riverside (28th)

15. Friends (29th)

16. What Is and What Should Never Be (23rd)

17. Moby Dick (23rd)

18. Whole Lotta Love (28th - but y'know, with lots of picking and choosing with the medley, take stuff from other dates too)

19. Communication Breakdown (23rd)

20. C'mon Everybody (28th)

21. High-Heel Sneakers (28th)

22. Thank You (29th)

23. Rock and Roll (29th)

1 hour ago, June72 said:

How about this: If Jimmy were to release a "How the East Was Won," what would you hope the setlist would be?

4. Black Dog (24th)

13. Tangerine (28th)

15. Friends (29th)

17. Moby Dick (23rd)

18. Whole Lotta Love (28th - but y'know, with lots of picking and choosing with the medley, take stuff from other dates too)

22. Thank You (29th)

23. Rock and Roll (29th)

👍Great, June72...thanks for igniting this 'producer's perspective' in compiling "How the East Was Won"  (working title; 'What was and what would never be ').

I'm biassed to the WLL medley and Communication B of 929, (but hey, that's just an obese duck's perspective). In an ideal world, the Super Deluxe Edition should include ALL WLL recordings

Edited by duckman

For the acoustic set 9/28 is the longest and most adventurous and fun.   9/23 is equally as good and of course 9/29 is great with Friends ( is Bonham drooping the F-bomb towards Plant before and after Tangerine?).  

For the WLL medley I’d rate 9/23 and 9/29 equal.  9/28 & 9/24  are next.  9/24 is amazing but the songs seems bit scattered and don’t flow as well.

For the encores Is say 9/28 and 9/29 tie for the best.    And the 2 Tokyo shows a close 2nd.

Sorry there isn’t any. love for Hiroshima.   I’m going to revisit that show and post my thoughts.  I’m sure it’s outstanding too!

Edited by Sticks of Fire

I’m sure hoping the new release of 9/28 has Celebration Day.  It’s phenomenal.

But the initial email said this release was more like a Orlando in terms of completeness.   I’m worried that there may be a Reel change around the hour mark and then it took 10/15 minutes (is road crew not laying close attention) to get the tape going again and missing about 15 mi it’s right around the spot where Celebration Day is and it’s going to be absent from the recording (and a good chunk of the acoustic set too).

Edited by Sticks of Fire

5 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

I’m sure hoping the new release of 9/28 has Celebration Day.  It’s phenomenal.

But the initial email said this release was more like a Orlando in terms of completeness.   I’m worried that there may be a Reel change around the hour mark and then it took 10/15 minutes (is road crew not laying close attention) to get the tape going again and missing about 15 mi it’s right around the spot where Celebration Day is and it’s going to be absent from the recording (and a good chunk of the acoustic set too).

If we even get the full tape! It may be another partial release 🙄

According to the email I received from Fisheads, the Osaka 9/28 soundboard runs from a fragment of Heartbreaker through Moby Dick.  So looks like we have a soundboard Celebration Day coming our way!!! Hope the plantations are included as well.  Happy Holidays fellow ZepHeads! st ever live performance in Osaka!! Unfortunately, this original soundboard source is incomplete. Thesuppliers have informed us that the only surviving portion of these amazing source tapes feature the set from Heartbreaker (fragment) through Moby Dick.”. The following editions of this Ultra Rare Set are due for release on or about Christmas/New Year;Revolution Series proudly presents for the very First and Only time anywhere a Perfect Stereo Soundboard from the legendary first ever live performance in Osaka!! Unfortunately, this original soundboard source is incomplete. Thesuppliers have informed us that the only surviving portion of these amazing source tapes feature the set from Heartbreaker (fragment) through Moby Dick.”. The following editions of this Ultra Rare Set are due for release on or about Christmas/New Year;

Edited by Walter

Does anyone have a version of the 9/29 “Winston” merge of sources but with the true Black Dog from 9/29?   The one I have seen has Black Dog from 9/28 swapped out instead.

With the soundboard and the multitrack the 9/29 show is mostly complete and makes for a great listen.

Edited by Sticks of Fire

On 12/18/2019 at 12:39 PM, June72 said:

4. Black Dog (24th)

13. Tangerine (28th)

15. Friends (29th)

17. Moby Dick (23rd)

22. Thank You (29th)

23. Rock and Roll (29th)

If anything each show should be released in its entirety.  This group of shows is far more special than Earls Court and should be treated as gold. Creating a composite wouldn't do justice to the music played each night. I also think each of the Earls Court shows should be released in their entirety too. No composites please.

Edited by hummingbird69

On 12/21/2019 at 7:20 PM, hummingbird69 said:

If anything each show should be released in its entirety.  This group of shows is far more special than Earls Court and should be treated as gold. Creating a composite wouldn't do justice to the music played each night. I also think each of the Earls Court shows should be released in their entirety too. No composites please.

Exactly, thanks for your post.

Jimmy had his fun editing, cutting and splicing TSRTS, we have to live with that. But hands off the Japan 71 tapes. The material is incredibly fine, no need for a "Absolutely Live"-treatment (-The Doors 1970 live album- a fucked up fiasco with about 2000 edits-LOL)