Has your opinion changed over the years to a Zep boot?

Mr_K

I'm listening to the soundboard of Seattle 1975 03 21 as I write.

When it first came out I thought it was over-rated. A bit sluggish compared to say, 4 Blocks In The Snow. And not as consistent.

Today, well, I think it one of the best shows of 75, combining performance and recording. Everyone is on. Relaxed. And clear. Even the mellotron is sweet and in tune. And the Plantations - great. "John Paul Jones is a very easy way of being an orchestra." What a nice thing to say.

What do you think? Thanks.

Blueberry Hill. For years, I only had a mono version of the show. It didn't bother me that it wasn't in stereo, but something about the basic sound of the recording put me off. Then I found Winston's "The Great Love Affair", which is based on a stereo recording. Something just clicked, and now it's one of my favorite shows.

3 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

Blueberry Hill. For years, I only had a mono version of the show. It didn't bother me that it wasn't in stereo, but something about the basic sound of the recording put me off. Then I found Winston's "The Great Love Affair", which is based on a stereo recording. Something just clicked, and now it's one of my favorite shows.

Me too, from 1974 I had the old Blimp/TMOQ version on a truncated reel to reel copy (Dazed was incomplete, encores missing etc...). It was my first live Zep encounter, but I was never overwhelmed by the sound of drums, guitar and Jonesy's Farfisa. When Cobla released the new stereo source, it was like someone's removed a blanket (I still don't dig the Farfisa though;-)

Hampton '71. '71 is my favorite year of their live performances and I would eat up everything I could find from that year, but something always put me off this show. Couldn't tell if it was the deadened sound from the higher generation tape, or the more lackadaisical performance, or what.

I finally ended up going back to it this year, listening to a newer remaster based on EV's "Sonic Boom" release. This time, I ended up loving it. The sound is far improved here, and for some reason, something about the performance really clicked with me. The band isn't BLAZING hot as they seemed to be through any other recorded '71 shows we have, but there's something that's welcoming about this. It's such a warm, relaxed show, and actually really well performed in its own right. Like USA '73 vibes with a '71 type show. It's now a show I enjoy a lot more and listen to quite often.

I agree on the Copenhagen shows, there's just no bass to the recording at all from my perspective. They sound really thin and tinny. I don't understand why people sometimes cite those as being in the upper echelons of Zep live recordings - there are tons of other audience tapes that sound way better.

Also I don't think there's that much difference in performance level between them and the first Knebworth show, which I think is one of their classic performances actually.

Edited by Cosmic_Equilibrium

On 9/14/2020 at 9:14 PM, Mr_K said:

I'm listening to the soundboard of Seattle 1975 03 21 as I write.

When it first came out I thought it was over-rated. A bit sluggish compared to say, 4 Blocks In The Snow. And not as consistent.

Today, well, I think it one of the best shows of 75, combining performance and recording. Everyone is on. Relaxed. And clear. Even the mellotron is sweet and in tune. And the Plantations - great. "John Paul Jones is a very easy way of being an orchestra." What a nice thing to say.

What do you think? Thanks.

That's funny that you had to come around to it.  It's always been my all-time favourite show actually.  Agreed on the Plantations.  I also think it's a strong contender for Jones' best show of their career, which is interesting because he's so consistent that it's unusual for any one show to stand out as being far above (or below) the rest for him.

Also, I'm a fan of 2/12 and it's obviously one of the best recordings, but 3/21 is unquestionably better IMO.

To answer your original question, my opinion of 6/23/77 has actually declined a bit as the years go on.  It obviously has some incredibly high peaks, but is also bordering on too loose/relaxed/jovial at times for me.

I agree with what others have said about the Copenhagen '79 shows.  Yes, Page is playing with great technical proficiency, but it feels kind of hollow to me compared to pre-1979.  I might be in the minority here, but I'd rather make my way through a few flubs on his part in a decent '75 show because it has more feeling behind it (to my ears at least).

18 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

That's funny that you had to come around to it.  It's always been my all-time favourite show actually.  Agreed on the Plantations.  I also think it's a strong contender for Jones' best show of their career, which is interesting because he's so consistent that it's unusual for any one show to stand out as being far above (or below) the rest for him.

Also, I'm a fan of 2/12 and it's obviously one of the best recordings, but 3/21 is unquestionably better IMO.

To answer your original question, my opinion of 6/23/77 has actually declined a bit as the years go on.  It obviously has some incredibly high peaks, but is also bordering on too loose/relaxed/jovial at times for me.

I agree with what others have said about the Copenhagen '79 shows.  Yes, Page is playing with great technical proficiency, but it feels kind of hollow to me compared to pre-1979.  I might be in the minority here, but I'd rather make my way through a few flubs on his part in a decent '75 show because it has more feeling behind it (to my ears at least).

You write, "To answer your original question, my opinion of 6/23/77 has actually declined a bit as the years go on...." I was always a fan of 6/21/77. That preference has not changed over the years. And I still want a 6/22/77 soundboard. That will be excellent.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Mr_K said:

You write, "To answer your original question, my opinion of 6/23/77 has actually declined a bit as the years go on...." I was always a fan of 6/21/77. That preference has not changed over the years. And I still want a 6/22/77 soundboard. That will be excellent.

Thanks!

Yeah, 6/22 is my favourite '77 show.

6/22

6/21

6/13

6/26

6/23