Never listen to the studio albums these days, only concerts

Jukkin

Anyone else find they mostly listen to the Zeppelin boots? I love Zeppelin live so much that the studio albums sound so staid to me. I have box sets, remasters, the deluxe editions but listening to 04/27/1969, 09/04/1970 (obviously!), 09/29/1971 - Jeez I could go on and on, is a treat beyond what the studio albums can give. Plus knowing that what you hear is what they actually played is so much better than Jimmy's hack and slash of the official live recordings - poor old Robert gets about 30 seconds of Plantations and that's it. Just find that, like Jimmy once said, they are at their best live. Of the official concert releases there's nothing after 1973 of course. Just wish Jimmy would delegate a little bit if he finds editing concerts to be a real pain. Nothing from '75, '77, '79 or '80 is a real disappointment but at least people like Winston, weedwacker, Steve, JEMS, dadgad, Liquid Led and other great remasterers/remixers are giving us some of the finest post 1973 releases that I don't really miss official releases. Having the unofficial concert DVDs is great too. You develop bootleg eyes as well as bootleg ears so one you just open yourself to them they look and sound great. Well I've rambled on there (really, no pun intended!) so I hope some of what I've said strikes a chord. There are just some magic people giving so much wonde5rful music and for free! Total respect and thanks.

I often go through shows chronologically because I love following the evolution of the live performances and development of live versions - Dazed of course being the prime example. But I still listen to the albums within the timeline they were recorded. I think it all fits together to complete the full Zeppelin musical puzzle. If you're still not convinced, I would suggest as a compromise you listen to the studio outtakes and rehearsals. Lots of experimentation and nuances that may have been left off the albums but still made their way into performances. But it's true; nothing like Zeppelin live!

I feel similarly. I rarely ever revisit the albums, concerts are my go to for Zep. Of course there are exceptions, like the Coda material and other songs they never played live. But yeah, the concerts are so full of unique moments and variety that it’s hard for me to revisit the albums

Most of the rock music I listen to these days is live, including Zep's. And as much as their studio albums are burned into my soul, I prefer to hear their live shows. When I do revisit the studio albums, I'm always surprised at how different those arrangements are to the live versions. And as a bonus, I get to hear a bunch of songs they never played live, so it's kind of like discovering new Zep songs, which is ironic because I first got into live bootlegs because it was like discovering new Zep songs.

On 10/8/2020 at 12:14 PM, Jukkin said:

Nothing from '75, '77, '79

I know it is only about 90 minutes total, but the DVD audio from Earl's Court 1975 and Knebworth 1979 are really great.  Jimmy picked excellent performances there to release and the sound and mix are fantastic. 

Shit, I've been listening to live recordings more or less exclusively for the past six months or so...I can't remember the last time I played a "studio" album by anyone, Zep or otherwise. And I freely admit, given this Covid 19 era world we live in now, where the idea of gathering 20000 people in a hockey arena or 80000 in a football arena for a concert almost seems like a thing of the past, it's been kinda bittersweet listening to all this live stuff.

"'Live Music Is Better!' bumper stickers should be issued!" -Neil Young

This was me before the remasters. I had "outgrown" the studio recordings and definitely favored the bootlegs. 

The remasters rekindled my appreciation for the studio work, as most of it did sound noticeably improved. 

But after overdosing on those for a few years, I'm mostly back to the live stuff again.