Steve Vai

Scarlett

Actually I love the movie Crossroads where he meets the devil and he sells his soul and makes a deal with the devil.He played with the devil on stage and won,Steve Vai played the greatest part.

Kind of like the Devil went Down to Georgia was the same thing.

I know that some of what he plays in that is very hard stuff, there is a bit that lots of average gutairists play but when it gets to one bit they stop as its technically very tough to play at speed !! I being one of them :angry::) as I aint that good !! . Eugines trick bag as its known also draws from Paganini's 5th caprice for violin which is nice to play as well as his theme and variations (Paganini that is and not played in the film).

I saw Vai in concert at Donington in 1988 when he played with Dave lee Roth, that ws good but when I saw him play with Whitesnake in 1990 at the same venue I am afraid he tore the sole out of Snake as they were a great band !! So i am half and half about Vai, although in Zappa there was some good stuff !!

I know that some of what he plays in that is very hard stuff, there is a bit that lots of average gutairists play but when it gets to one bit they stop as its technically very tough to play at speed !! I being one of them :angry::) as I aint that good !! . Eugines trick bag as its known also draws from Paganini's 5th caprice for violin which is nice to play as well as his theme and variations (Paganini that is and not played in the film).

I saw Vai in concert at Donington in 1988 when he played with Dave lee Roth, that ws good but when I saw him play with Whitesnake in 1990 at the same venue I am afraid he tore the sole out of Snake as they were a great band !! So i am half and half about Vai, although in Zappa there was some good stuff !!

O wonder how they filmed that movie when they were on stage playing like that.that had to be very difficult.

thank you for sharing that with me.

O wonder how they filmed that movie when they were on stage playing like that.that had to be very difficult.

thank you for sharing that with me.

Your welcome I also heard that they speeded up the film when they played that duel so that it seemed faster than it was !!!

I love Vai and respect the man. He has many a lot of great albums, but I've got difficulty seeing him live. On stage he's a bit of a jerk with his 'guitar-god' antics. So he doesn't always get my sympathy when he's on tour with G3.

I heard from a friend that saw G3 when they had Yngvie malmsteen with them and he blew tham all of the stage as he said Vai and Satch were tapping all night but Yngvie was sweep picking and came acroos the best, so he said !!

Steve Vai is freakin' amazing- I have the three albums he did with David Lee Roth, and wow, is he good! Gotta love that heart shaped triple neck too! :)

Yes Skyscraper is good !!

Actually I love the movie Crossroads where he meets the devil and he sells his soul and makes a deal with the devil.He played with the devil on stage and won,Steve Vai played the greatest part.

Ralph Machio played Via, ala guitar duel, as Vai was the Devils right hand man. Vai played both parts himself. But I do remember hearing SRV was attached to the movie somehow. Maybe he was supposed to play the parts of Vai, before Vai came into the picture. Vai is a nut on the guitar. But he gets boring after a while.

I think with SRV at the helm, that scene would have been more badass. SRV could have pulled off the bad guy deal with ease.

BTW, on one of Vai's more recent albums he gave an interview where he talked about how he tried to use Jimmy Page's compositional/producing style. He said he had finally "got it" about how to do the "Guitar Army" orchestrations, et. al. Well, I listened to clips from the album and it didn't seem THAT different from the usual Vai stuff, which is not really my cup of tea. Just too much whammy bar, effects lathered on too thick, and not bluesy enough. It's funny how what a musician thinks they are doing can be so disconnected from their actual output.

BTW, on one of Vai's more recent albums he gave an interview where he talked about how he tried to use Jimmy Page's compositional/producing style. He said he had finally "got it" about how to do the "Guitar Army" orchestrations, et. al. Well, I listened to clips from the album and it didn't seem THAT different from the usual Vai stuff, which is not really my cup of tea. Just too much whammy bar, effects lathered on too thick, and not bluesy enough. It's funny how what a musician thinks they are doing can be so disconnected from their actual output.

Crossroads was one of the best movie's ever made!

I remember an interview with Vai when he said whenever Heartbreaker comes on the radio or wherever he still has to stop listen and be in awe !!

• 11 months later...

I was just browsing this topic found this found a picture of Vai & Jimmy forums I think of concert you attendedin 1990 .

Jimmy & Steve Donnigton 1990

How's it going "Scarlett?" Steve Vai is one hell of a Guitarist. I love the 2004 DVD release entitled "G3, LIVE IN DENVER WITH JOE SATRIANI, STEVE VAI AND YNGWIE MALMSTEEN. This DVD kicks ass! ROCK ON!

I saw him a couple of years ago. Great guitar player but his live show is way too "I'm a guitar God" posing and such for my taste. Eric Sardinas opened up and he was really good as well.

I can picture it just like you described it. :lol:

Archived