The Hard Rockers of Led Zeppelin 3

McSeven

Whats your take on the hard rockers of Zep 3 in terms of progression of songs style and how Zep were evolving with the songs.  So thats Immigrant Song/Celebration Day/Out on the Tiles.  I guess you can add the Blues of Since I've been loving you as well.

For me this is the album where I hear Zep getting a bit slick. 

Robert's voice is now more that hammer of the gods wail.  He almost sounds country if that makes sense.  His vocal diction has changed.  Almost like Zep got a newer singer.  

Jimmy feels more warrior in his guitar tone.  No real sorcery style licks.   Stinging solos and more precise.  Less of the supposed Sloppy sounds that we hear live.

Bonzo is very on top of thing.  That behind the beat feel to me only shows up in Since I've been loving you.  

John Paul Jones.  Love his bass, but it feels like his Bass line don't have that soul full melody of the first two Zep albums.  Feels like he is staying within the lines of his Bass for the most part.  There is no songs that have that soul full funky bass lines, where you can sing along with it.  For me JPJ early bass lines is what I would want if I was playing in a rock band.  Love Zep 3.  Its an A grade.  Zep 3 feels more like a happy album, with Since I've been loving you feeling the most heaviest.  

4 hours ago, John M said:

I think that Gallows Pole and Bron-Y-Aur Stomp rock as much as anything on the album.  And that is part of the genius of Zeppelin.

Then there are the live versions of both songs which rock but with light and shade. Such a missed opportunity they only did GP live a handful of times as the version I heard from the Copenhagen show (along with Four Sticks) is both blazing and different. Really liked the live arrangements of all three songs.

At the risk of playing devil's advocate, I have to say that I don't agree with anything the OP says in his post. Plant's diction changing? Zeppelin getting slick? Jones bass subpar and no soul? WTF? 

Sorry, Led Zeppelin III is one of my favourite Led Zeppelin albums and I just don't hear or get these complaints/criticisms the OP listed.

Whatever…carry on.

Edited by Strider

What Strider said.
Have to say, I don't hear anything slick about Led Zeppelin III - tape hiss, cut-off intros, squeaky bass drum pedals, false starts, Hats Off To Roy Harper...where is this slick?
And surely Friends has as much sorcery and pagan otherness as anything they did?
Interesting how other people can perceive the same things so differently, though.

19 hours ago, Brigante said:

What Strider said.
Have to say, I don't hear anything slick about Led Zeppelin III - tape hiss, cut-off intros, squeaky bass drum pedals, false starts, Hats Off To Roy Harper...where is this slick?
And surely Friends has as much sorcery and pagan otherness as anything they did?
Interesting how other people can perceive the same things so differently, though.

What Brigante said.