Ranking The 1975 Versions Of "No Quarter"

Bonzo_fan

• 6 months later...

Joining the conversation a bit late, but here are my favorite versions (top 15 anyway) ranked in order:

1. Earl's Court, 5-18-75 "That's Gotta Be the One, Hasn't It?"

A killer performance from a great night. Everyone is just on, and Plant is sounding good. Best Jimmy solo I've heard for this song.

2. Earl's Court, 5-17-75, "Got Them Earl's Court Blues"

This one is just a hair behind number one for me. JPJ's solo is terrific, then he goes into this mournful theme, and Jimmy is just right there with him. They really make you feel it.

3. Montreal, 2-6-75, "Not Bad, Eh"

Page is in the zone, and the whole band is shit-hot. I love this version so much, and the crowd is fantastic too.

4. MSG, 2-7-75, "Artie Mocks Their Every Step"

Artie's actually pretty quiet for this one. There's just enough background (more like foreground haha) shenanigans to make it fun and enjoyable vs unlistenable which is usually the case for me with his boots. Page is killing it .. this is just a hair behind Montreal for me.

5. Detroit, 1-31-75, "Oh Man That's So Heavy"

Wasn't sure what title to use for this one so thought I'd throw a shout-out to any Beefheart fans who may be reading. Page on fire, another fantastic version.

6. St. Louis, 2-16-75, "Good Vibrations"

My fav JPJ solo. This is such a happy and good-feeling change of pace from what Jones usually does with the song, and the whole band is in perfect synch. Not Page's best solo, but as a whole I really love this one.

7. Chicago, 1-20-75, "Jimmy. 3 Fingers. Neat."

Who likes spaghetti westerns?  Love this compact version - only 13 minutes long! Robert sounds mostly great, the band is on it, Jimmy's solo is fantastic.

8. San Diego, 3-10-75, "Easy Like Sunday Morning"

Those chill San Diego vibes - and maybe all the pot smoke - must have gotten to Pagey. His solo here is fluid and super laid back, which I think is perfect for this song.The atmosphere is great too. I think as time goes on, this one will rise in the list. 

9. Earl's Court, 5-24-75, "The Robert Plant Show"

Fantastic JPJ solo. As mentioned by other forum members, Jimmy is playing it safe with his solo. Playing "not to lose" in sports terms. This was a weird night for the band but ultimately a good one. Both Plant and Page started out rough. Plant started sounding good around Rain Song and Jimmy seems more grounded starting right here with No Quarter. By the time the band gets to Kashmir, Robert sounds fantastic - he is in the zone with timing as well. This is easily Plant's best night for 75 imho.

10. Vancouver, 3-19-75, "The John Bonham Show"

Fantastic version with everyone sounding great. I love the sound quality of the matrix for this boot. You can really hear what an integral part of the band Bonzo was, and I think this version of NQ highlights that nicely.

11. Vancouver, 3-20-75, "A Dream For Me and You" (Subtitle : That's all it is people a DREAM!, 2nd Subtitle: Ummm .. what? #coolstorybro)

A beautiful, creative version with some dreamy stuff from JPJ and Jimmy taking chances that pay off. The whole band is right on the edge for some of this but keeping the plot .. love it.

12. Dallas, 3-5-75, "The John Paul Jones Show"

JPJ enjoying his new toy (grand piano). Bonzo sounds great as always, Jimmy puts down a nice solo.

13. Philly, 2-8-75, "The Jimmy Page Show"

How many times can I say killer in one post? Page is laying it down here. But as has been mentioned elsewhere in the forum, he really isn't in sync with the other guys which puts this version farther down the list for me.

14. Baton Rouge, 2-28-75, "Hey Look! I'm in a Rock Band!!"

A weird but fun version. JPJ being playful and then Jimmy doing the same. They sound like they're having a good time.

15. San Diego, 3-14-75, "Stoner's Delight"

70s self-indulgence never sounded so good. JPJ and Jimmy both stretching it out, playing relaxed, not in a hurry - and it sounds like the crowd loves it.  I have a feeling the crowd was loving a lot of things that night. 

Edited by 1975NQ

I don't know if I could attempt to rank all of them--there are still some boots from the early leg of the '75 tour that I haven't listened to nearly as much as some of the later dates that I think are the best of the whole tour; like Vancouver 3/19 or Dallas 3/5, or even the St. Valentine's Day Massacre.

My favorite NQ of all-time has always been 2/16, the St. Louis Blues & I also would give special mention to what is known as the first grand piano jam, Baton Rouge 2/28. Although supposedly, some reports have Jonesy using the grand on the lost Houston show...

My least favorite from the 75 tour & maybe my least favorite show overall is 3/24, but it's not horrible--just a show that for me, doesn't live up to the golden standard of the other dates I've mentioned...

2 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

I really like the 3-10-75 San Diego version, in fact the whole show is excellent with Robert in good voice.

Yeah, I agree - definitely an underrated show. I would love to hear a soundboard of it someday. Jimmy sounds great for OTHAFA and the Woodstock section of Dazed is one of my favorites.

1 hour ago, paul carruthers said:

I don't know if I could attempt to rank all of them--there are still some boots from the early leg of the '75 tour that I haven't listened to nearly as much as some of the later dates that I think are the best of the whole tour; like Vancouver 3/19 or Dallas 3/5, or even the St. Valentine's Day Massacre.

My favorite NQ of all-time has always been 2/16, the St. Louis Blues & I also would give special mention to what is known as the first grand piano jam, Baton Rouge 2/28. Although supposedly, some reports have Jonesy using the grand on the lost Houston show...

My least favorite from the 75 tour & maybe my least favorite show overall is 3/24, but it's not horrible--just a show that for me, doesn't live up to the golden standard of the other dates I've mentioned...

It was definitely a project for me just to narrow it down to 15, haha. Something like 5 weeks of sporadic listening on weekends and the occasional weeknight. I had a lot of fun with it, though. Versions I previously held in high regard dropped while others climbed the ranks during my listening. I feel like some of those early boots are hidden gems that deserve more love and attention. I think Jimmy is way sharper in early shows than he was in a lot of March.

I'm with you on 2/16. The mood on that one is incredible. I didn't realize 2/28 was the first grand piano jam. That makes a lot of sense because Jonesy really is being playful on that one, having a lot of fun with it. 

Agreed on 3/24. It's funny, way back in the 80s I got into my head that the 3 night LA run was the zenith of 75 and of the band in general ... boy was I wrong haha. I don't listen to any of those shows anymore except occasionally RS and Kashmir from 3/25. There used to be a fantastic video up on YouTube (years ago) of the band from that night. It showed a lot of the first third of the show and was in perfect synch with the audio boot. I think it's been removed since then.

In terms of best shows of the tour, I always struggle with this one. Because either Plant sounds like shit for much of the show which just wrecks it for me, or Jimmy is out of it, or both haha. I don't have a "magic night" in my mind for 75 which is funny because it might be my fav year for the band . They were certainly better in other years, but something about 75 is interesting .. maybe *because* of all the issues. They make you hunt for the good stuff. I agree that 3/19 and 3/5 are overall great shows. I don't listen to 2/14 very often, probably due to Plant's vocals. 

My overall fav is a mix of 5/25 and 5/24. I start off listening/watching 5/25 then switch to 5/24 at Rain Song. This is heavily influenced by Robert being in great voice. If we're talking purely instrumental, I really love the run they had from  2/6 - 2/8 as well as 5/17 - 5/18. There's a video up on YT right now of them on 2/7 that's fantastic. Page looks like he's having a lot of fun and knows he's having a great night.

On 10/12/2021 at 9:37 PM, 1975NQ said:

Joining the conversation a bit late, but here are my favorite versions (top 15 anyway) ranked in order:

A killer performance from a great night. Everyone is just on, and Plant is sounding good. Best Jimmy solo I've heard for this song.

2. Earl's Court, 5-17-75, "Got Them Earl's Court Blues"

This one is just a hair behind number one for me. JPJ's solo is terrific, then he goes into this mournful theme, and Jimmy is just right there with him. They really make you feel it.

3. Montreal, 2-6-75, "Not Bad, Eh"

Page is in the zone, and the whole band is shit-hot. I love this version so much, and the crowd is fantastic too.

4. MSG, 2-7-75, "Artie Mocks Their Every Step"

Artie's actually pretty quiet for this one. There's just enough background (more like foreground haha) shenanigans to make it fun and enjoyable vs unlistenable which is usually the case for me with his boots. Page is killing it .. this is just a hair behind Montreal for me.

5. Detroit, 1-31-75, "Oh Man That's So Heavy"

Wasn't sure what title to use for this one so thought I'd throw a shout-out to any Beefheart fans who may be reading. Page on fire, another fantastic version.

6. St. Louis, 2-16-75, "Good Vibrations"

My fav JPJ solo. This is such a happy and good-feeling change of pace from what Jones usually does with the song, and the whole band is in perfect synch. Not Page's best solo, but as a whole I really love this one.

7. Chicago, 1-20-75, "Jimmy. 3 Fingers. Neat."

Who likes spaghetti westerns?  Love this compact version - only 13 minutes long! Robert sounds mostly great, the band is on it, Jimmy's solo is fantastic.

8. San Diego, 3-10-75, "Easy Like Sunday Morning"

Those chill San Diego vibes - and maybe all the pot smoke - must have gotten to Pagey. His solo here is fluid and super laid back, which I think is perfect for this song.The atmosphere is great too. I think as time goes on, this one will rise in the list. 

9. Earl's Court, 5-24-75, "The Robert Plant Show"

Fantastic JPJ solo. As mentioned by other forum members, Jimmy is playing it safe with his solo. Playing "not to lose" in sports terms. This was a weird night for the band but ultimately a good one. Both Plant and Page started out rough. Plant started sounding good around Rain Song and Jimmy seems more grounded starting right here with No Quarter. By the time the band gets to Kashmir, Robert sounds fantastic - he is in the zone with timing as well. This is easily Plant's best night for 75 imho.

10. Vancouver, 3-19-75, "The John Bonham Show"

Fantastic version with everyone sounding great. I love the sound quality of the matrix for this boot. You can really hear what an integral part of the band Bonzo was, and I think this version of NQ highlights that nicely.

11. Vancouver, 3-20-75, "A Dream For Me and You" (Subtitle : That's all it is people a DREAM!, 2nd Subtitle: Ummm .. what? #coolstorybro)

A beautiful, creative version with some dreamy stuff from JPJ and Jimmy taking chances that pay off. The whole band is right on the edge for some of this but keeping the plot .. love it.

12. Dallas, 3-5-75, "The John Paul Jones Show"

JPJ enjoying his new toy (grand piano). Bonzo sounds great as always, Jimmy puts down a nice solo.

13. Philly, 2-8-75, "The Jimmy Page Show"

How many times can I say killer in one post? Page is laying it down here. But as has been mentioned elsewhere in the forum, he really isn't in sync with the other guys which puts this version farther down the list for me.

14. Baton Rouge, 2-28-75, "Hey Look! I'm in a Rock Band!!"

A weird but fun version. JPJ being playful and then Jimmy doing the same. They sound like they're having a good time.

15. San Diego, 3-14-75, "Stoner's Delight"

70s self-indulgence never sounded so good. JPJ and Jimmy both stretching it out, playing relaxed, not in a hurry - and it sounds like the crowd loves it.  I have a feeling the crowd was loving a lot of things that night. 

None of the Seattle ones on your list? No 3.12 Long Beach? 😦 

Edited by Strider

Nope, they didn't make the cut for me. I've had the 3/21 show for decades, and it's never really clicked for me for some reason. They sound a bit off, like they're trying too hard or something. Or a bit like that Star Trek alternate universe episode where everyone is sinister lol. I do like 3/17 version but like the other 15 better. Same for 3/12. That's the thing about NQ in 75 ... they're really all pretty good for the most part. I think it's a highlight of that tour. Jimmy def has some pep in his step on 3/12, but I don't like the JPJ solo. It bores me to tears. So, that's why that one didn't make the cut for me. They're all fine versions, I just ranked them based on personal preference and how often I actually listen.  Couldn't find shrugging dude emoji or I'd insert it here haha.

On 10/13/2021 at 2:37 PM, 1975NQ said:

The lock Bonzo and John Paul get on the rhythm - and how Page comes in and where they take it, yeah, it's got to be considered for #1 spot. It wanders at times, but what comes out of those wanderings is so horse....

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2021 at 11:17 AM, JohnOsbourne said:

2/4/1975 Nassau: Sounds like a great version, despite the poor recording

Didn't give this one much attention previously, just a quick listen - due to it being incomplete and the atrocious sound quality. But I've been listening to it throughout the day today and damn if it doesn't sound fantastic. His playing on OTHAFA from this night sounds great too. Makes me wonder if that "fluidity run" Pagey had 2/6 - 2/8 didn't start a little earlier with this show. I haven't listened closely to many of the early 75 shows beyond NQ. Now I'm thinking maybe I should give 2/1 (Pittsburgh) and 2/3 (MSG) a closer listen.

2 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

Didn't give this one much attention previously, just a quick listen - due to it being incomplete and the atrocious sound quality. But I've been listening to it throughout the day today and damn if it doesn't sound fantastic. His playing on OTHAFA from this night sounds great too. Makes me wonder if that "fluidity run" Pagey had 2/6 - 2/8 didn't start a little earlier with this show. I haven't listened closely to many of the early 75 shows beyond NQ. Now I'm thinking maybe I should give 2/1 (Pittsburgh) and 2/3 (MSG) a closer listen.

This first Nassau show (a replacement for the infamous cancelled Boston show) is one of those concerts (like Baltimore '73) in dire need of a better recording (if even slightly).

21 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

This first Nassau show (a replacement for the infamous cancelled Boston show) is one of those concerts (like Baltimore '73) in dire need of a better recording (if even slightly).

Maybe that guy who keeps releasing a soundboard a year has it in his back pocket ... saving one of the best for last?

19 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

I really like both 5-18 & 5-23 NQ. In fact both shows are in the top 5 1975 shows for me. Everyone is just smokin' at these two shows,

It's hard for me to rank shows because they were so wildly inconsistent, even within shows lol. Even at Earl's Court. But I like 5/18 an awful lot. 5/23 has never clicked for me the way it has for so many others. Maybe I need to give it another listen.

1 hour ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Btw now that I'm not in "ranking NQ" mode and just enjoying the shows, Artie and his buddy have grown on me lol. They def make the shows fun and thankfully stay quiet (mostly) during Page solos. Listened to 2/7 a lot last month and listening to 2/3 tonight while getting work done.  Using my imagination, it feels a bit like going to the shows with "The Dude" (Lebowski) when he was a rowdy teenager.

12 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

Btw now that I'm not in "ranking NQ" mode and just enjoying the shows, Artie and his buddy have grown on me lol. They def make the shows fun and thankfully stay quiet (mostly) during Page solos. Listened to 2/7 a lot last month and listening to 2/3 tonight while getting work done.  Using my imagination, it feels a bit like going to the shows with "The Dude" (Lebowski) when he was a rowdy teenager.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great topic! I'm surprised February 14 is so low on the list. I have that one at the top of my list. Years ago, I had the version put out by The Diagrams of Led Zeppelin and it was an audience source. It was a pretty good audience recording, but some of the low notes played by Jones on the bass pedals were highly distorted, yet it didn't ruin the listening experience. On that particular recording, NQ came across to me as the best ever. I've heard this show more recently with upgraded sound and it's great. The person who remastered it did a brilliant job. However, it was almost too nice and NQ lost some of it's ambience to my ears.

Glad to see March 27 high on the list. I think Page sounds brilliant there.

On 10/13/2021 at 2:33 PM, 1975NQ said:

I don't listen to 2/14 very often, probably due to Plant's vocals. 

That's my favorite 75 show. I have The Diagrams of Led Zeppelin version, which has some bass overloading here and there, but the audience ambience makes up for it. I like it better than the upgraded remastered versions.

49 minutes ago, Christopher Lees said:

That's my favorite 75 show. I have The Diagrams of Led Zeppelin version, which has some bass overloading here and there, but the audience ambience makes up for it. I like it better than the upgraded remastered versions.

Nothing wrong with that! We all have our favorite shows, each one is unique and always Zep. The upgraded version of 2/14 is insane to me ... in a good way lol. It's like you're right there. But if you recommend The Diagrams version, I'll make a note to listen to it the next I wanna hear a 75 show. I do agree that the matrix versions of shows blending soundboard and audience are ideal for sound (when done well, hats off to all the people who have that skill set and make it happen).