Donovan for Yes

Foghat and Ted Nugent for Aerosmith

MC5 for Rainbow

Robin Trower for Jethro Tull

Todd Rundgren for Bob Seger

Sisters of Mercy for Robet Plant

Bob Dylan for Santana

Robert Plant for The Who

We have all been to many gigs, who was your favorite or a band that you thought went down really well at a festival or gig supporting the main act ?

Hmm...let's see...

Happy Mondays, The Black Crowes, The Longcut, The Twang, The Noisettes...

Those are the first few that spring to mind.

EDIT: Also, Maps! They were amazing. Even though I thought they were another band at the time. (I wasn't familiar with them and one of the other bands pulled out).

Edited by Chicken

Bob Dylan for Santana

I saw that same tour and in all fairness, even though Dylan played first, it was billed as a co-headliner tour (meaning each artist played a full length set). I saw Dylan a few years later with Paul Simon and it was the same deal except I believe they flipped a coin each night to see who would play first. At the show I saw Simon played first, followed by Dylan. Dylan even came out at the end of Simon's set for several duets.

MC5 for Rainbow

Not THAT'S an odd lineup!

(I'd have left after MC5)

It was not the original lineup. Rob Tyner kept the name, and reformed a new MC5 in the late 70's. Rainbow was with Richie Blackmore and Ronnie James Dio....you would have stayed. It was by far the loudest show I've ever seen. It was at a small place called the Royal Oak Music Theater, the same place that the performances for "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" were filmed.

I saw that same tour and in all fairness, even though Dylan played first, it was billed as a co-headliner tour (meaning each artist played a full length set). I saw Dylan a few years later with Paul Simon and it was the same deal except I believe they flipped a coin each night to see who would play first. At the show I saw Simon played first, followed by Dylan. Dylan even came out at the end of Simon's set for several duets.

Can't argue with that.....except Dylan's set was much shorter than Santana's. Same with Plant and The Who....someone has to go first, and the first act's set length usually but not always suffers.

Can't argue with that.....except Dylan's set was much shorter than Santana's. Same with Plant and The Who....someone has to go first, and the first act's set length usually but not always suffers.

Maybe we're talking about two separate tours? I can't remember the exact year off the top of my head but the Dylan/Santana concert I attended was sometime in the early 90s if I remember correctly. Dylan played a full two hour set as did Santana. Same thing for when I saw Paul Simon with Dylan, each played a full headlining-length set.

Rainbow was with Richie Blackmore and Ronnie James Dio

Wow...did they just trade off lead vox , sing together , what?

(and yeah, I WOULD have stayed!)

All I remember is having to rest both hands on the seat in front of me because I was actually moving backwards from the sound blast. I swear my facial skin was being pulled back. Every time I saw this commercial, I thought of that show....

maxellblownaway.jpg

I do remember "Man on the Silver Mountain", and they did do some Deep Purple.

All I remember is having to rest both hands on the seat in front of me because I was actually moving backwards from the sound blast. I swear my facial skin was being pulled back. Every time I saw this commercial, I thought of that show....

maxellblownaway.jpg

I do remember "Man on the Silver Mountain", and they did do some Deep Purple.

Rainbow with Dio on vocals were great! Man on the silver mountain is a CLASSIC! Love that song! And how about Kill the king?! They did many great songs..

the rolling stones have always had really good opening bands/artists...have only been to one show in 98, but read about the shows over the years.

one show that i could have gone to, but somehow the decision was made not to go....was -the black crowes opening up for -the grateful dead in florida...early 90s.

Edited by middlezep

Surprise support bands for me have been several too....let's see...

I didn't know ZZTop when they played backup to the Rolling Stones and not eclipsing them, but blowing away many in the crowd who didn't know them too....well, they were astounding !! That was Jan. of '73 before their breakout....Tres Hombres. Even Circus magazine wrote an article in such high praise of them, it appeared they thought ZZ outshown the Stones. No one I knew had heard that 'little band from Texas' !!! :lol:

ZZ TOP also supported the RS in '81 or '82 for two shows at the Cotton Bowl in October.

I didn't attend but heard very good things about ZZ's performance. It rained for one of the shows.

Speaking of the Cotton Bowl, at the '78 Texxas Jam... The Headliner was Aerosmith, and I thought they sucked. I though the best performance of the show was by far Ted Nugent. Heart's set was also very good, as was the Atlanta Rhythm Section. Van Halen's early set was very good Hard Rock, but much too short.

Cheap Trick opening for Kansas in early 1978. CT were fantastic at the TCCC. Kansas were Kansas...I went as a friend. We were noth pleased with the Hard Rock CT that we experienced.

Back in the days, before anyone had heard of Grunge, I was into stuff like Guns'n'Roses and that kind of "sleaze rock", as it was called. Right when Use Your Illusion was released, Guns toured with Skid Row as the opening act, and I thought they was great.

Their bassist was really into punk rock, like The Ramones and such stuff, so they used to throw in a couple of punk rock covers to their set.

I believe most people think of Skid Row as another "pretty boy, hair band". But live they always delivered a high energy punk rock'n'roll show. I haven't listned to them in years and is not into that kind of music today, but I respect them for the music they did. They may have looked like another poser hair band, but they really had a honest attitude and respect for rock'n'roll.

Thought I would add another one, that being It Bites when they supported Plant on his Now and Zen tour in 1988 at Oxford ( I missed them at The Astoria with Plant a few weeks later when I was a guest of Doug Boyle, but caught plants set of course :) )!! I kind of liked some of their stuff !!

I have a funny story to tell on that night at Oxford as Francis Dunnery (from It bites) for some reason got locked out back stage, and the bouncer did not recognise him and he kept banging on the door but the bouncer would not let him in as he did not know who he was :hysterical: and he had to skulk off !!

Edited by leddy

My sister lived in Chalmette in the early 70s and raved about Black Oak Arkansas and a club called The Warehouse in New Orleans.

Said she caught them everytime they played there.

I bought my first BOA record on this recommendation around 1973.

Love Hot And Nasty and Uncle `Lijah!

Jim Dandy!

I have a brick from the warehouse, picked up after they demolished the building.

"Club" isn't an accurate description though, the title speeks for it'self lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Warehouse_(New_Orleans)Page.jpg

Source of Photo vvv

sidney smith

Edited by Dzldoc