Fav. 90s & 00s Albums

kidmoon

OK, heeeeeere I go!

90's-

Alice In Chains- Dirt, Facelift, Sap, Jar Of Flies, self titled. ALL are excellent.

Pearl Jam- Ten

Temple Of The Dog

Soundgarden- Badmotorfinger, Superunknown, Down On The Upside

Mother Love Bone

Screaming Trees- all of them

Mark Lanegan- The Winding Sheet, Whiskey For The Holy Ghost, Scraps At Midnight

Jerry Cantrell- Boggy Depot, Degradation Trip 1&2

Page/Plant- No Quarter, Walking Into Clarksdale.

Live- Throwing Copper

Stone Temple Pilots- Core, Purple, Tiny Music

The Cult- Ceremony

U2- Achtung Baby

Rolling Stones- Voodoo Lounge (the only post-1976 Stones album worth a shit in my opinion)

The Black Crowes- Sho' 'Nuff (box set with their first 4 studio albums plus a live EP)

Robert Plant- Fate Of Nations

'00's-

Led Zeppelin- How The West Was Won

Mark Lanegan Band- Bubblegum

Pearl Jam (self titled)

The Stooges- The Weirdness

Robert Plant- Mighty Rearranger

The Cult- Born Into This

So far, this decade isn't what the 90's were by any stretch. But there's still time...

There is much more crap in the 90s than the 70s and there is plenty more genius in the 70s than in the 90s. So I am going to write off the 90s and not blink in doing so. The 90's suck as far as music writing compared to the 70s. Hear that Jahfin!!! come on-bring on the insults. Im ready for my next verbal spanking. ps the 90s do not exist. there was no music ever released in this decade. All of the real music was made from the 50s to the 80s. Oh, sorry Beethoven, I must include the Reainessance (sorry if I mis-spelled it but you Im not kidding-it was great stuff and deserves recognition, unlike the 90s

I don't recall bringing on any insults, what I have done is offer up my own opinion (huge difference). Like I've said, I don't think of any one decade as being musically superior to another, every one has had it's outstanding works as well as stuff well worth passing over. To write off an entire decade of music strikes me more as ignorance than anything else. I'm just glad I don't share those views and am much more open minded about music. Everything doesn't have to be a retread of the 60s and 70s for me to like it.

Just remember, all of these songs came out of the 70's...

Minnie Riperton "Loving You"

Diana Ross "Theme From Mahagony (Do You Know Where You're Going To)"

Morris Albert "Feelings"

Paul Anka "Having My Baby"

Blue Swede "Hooked On A Feeling"

Debby Boone "You Light Up My Life"

Bread "Make It With You"

Captain and Tennille "Muskrat Love"

Eric Carmen "All By Myself"

Carpenters "Close To You"

Chicago "If You Leave Me Now"

Climax "Precious and Few"

Tony Orlando and Dawn "Tie A Yellow Ribbon"

Rick Dees "Disco Duck"

Dr. Hook "When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman"

Nick Gilder "Hot Child In The City"

Dan Hill "Sometimes When We Touch"

Rupert Holmes "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)"

Terry Jacks "Seasons In The Sun"

Andy Kim "Rock Me Gently"

Dave Loggins "Please Come To Boston"

Barry Manilow "Can't Smile Without You"

C.W. McCall "Convoy"

Van McCoy "The Hustle"

Michael Murphy "Wildfire"

David Naughton "Makin' It"

Starland Vocal Band "Afternoon Delight"

the 90's was apretty damn good decade for music for me personally......particularly the early 90's......like a wise poster mentioned in this thread each decade has it's good and it's crap

my fave 90's albums?

Chilp Peppers-BSSM

Janes Addiction- Ritual de lo Habitual

Aice in Chains- Dirt, Facelift

U2- Acthung Baby

Peal Jam- Ten

Nine inch Nails- Downward Spral, pretty Hate Machine

Soundgarden- Badmotorfinger

smashing Pumpkins- Gish and siamese Dream

Beatie Boys- Check your Head

Radiohead- The Bends

00's? I start to lose the distinction between these decades but know for sure some of my faves

Interpol- Turn on the Bright Lights

Nine inch Nails- with Teeth

Coldplay- rush of blodd to the head

Chili Peppers- Stadium Arcadium

The Racontuers

White Stripes- elephant

Personally, most of the bands I like are from the 80s and 90s. I really do not see what is so superior about the 60s and 70s. Do people think some magical wizard waved his wand and music started to suck? That's the most ridiculous bullshit I've heard in my life.

Jimmy Put down his violin bow and it started to suck. I didnt mention the 80s, just the 90s. And I never said the 60s were great except the Beatles and Stones happened to start then. Actually so did Zepp but I would consider them 70s. I do believe the 70s were exceptional and will stand behind my statement that the 70s put the 90s to shame.

go ahead and stand behind it, you're entitled..i disagree strongly ;)

personally I think the 70's sucked with the exception of our beloved Zeppelin and a handful of some other really good music

this was the age of disco afterall, and the only reason that crap had any traction whatsoever is because the music scene was pretty stagnant (relatively speaking of course...I mean you can always pick out a few bands out of the period that were great)

but that's just my opinion

I know I'm gonna catch flak for this, but..

The 70's were the shittiest decade for music ever. Look at the above list. Not to mention all the "classic rock" pretenders, has-beens and never-will-be's. Every time someone turns on a "classic rock" station I wanna puke.

There was only a handful of good bands then. And most of them started in the 60's. Zep (1968), Stones (1962!), Free (1968)....well, you get it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I know I'm gonna catch flak for this, but..

The 70's were the shittiest decade for music ever. Look at the above list. Not to mention all the "classic rock" pretenders, has-beens and never-will-be's. Every time someone turns on a "classic rock" station I wanna puke.

There was only a handful of good bands then. And most of them started in the 60's. Zep (1968), Stones (1962!), Free (1968)....well, you get it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

agreed- but the 80's is a close second

I'm as burnt out on Classic Rock radio as anyone else but that's not because of the aritsts themselves but by the heavy rotation of the same songs by the same artists over and over again. Thankfully channels like Deep Tracks on XM help remedy that.

As I've mentioned countless times by now I've found many great artists in each decade, the following is just a small sampling of favorites off the top of my head:

Pre-50s

Howlin' Wolf

Robert Johnson

Elmore James

Lightnin' Hopkins

"Old Time" music that served as the precursor to bluegrass, country, rockabilly, folks, blues, etc.

Big Band music (not a lot of it but definitely some of it, a lot of early rock n' roll can be traced directly back to the Big Band sound, just ask drummers like Neil Peart)

50s

Elvis

Johnny Cash

Carl Perkins

Roy Orbison

Patsy Cline

Jerry Lee Lewis

60s

Grateful Dead

Beatles

Desmond Dekker and the Aces

The Who

Led Zeppelin

Toots and the Maytals

Rolling Stones

Yardbirds

The Allman Brothers Band

Bob Marley

70s

Foghat

Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers

Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen

Alice Cooper

Peter Tosh

Mother's Finest

Jimmy Buffett

Mighty Diamonds

John Prine

The Itals

Guy Clark

Townes Van Zandt

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Steve Goodman

Leon Russell

Little Feat

80s

U2

Steve Earle

R.E.M.

Lone Justice

The Replacements

The Cure

10,000 Maniacs

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble

90s

Nada Surf

Pearl Jam

Todd Snider

The Gourds

Uncle Tupelo

Drive-By Truckers

Slobberbone

Backsliders

Whiskeytown

Old 97s

Frog Holler

Trailer Bride

Minus Five

00s

Tres Chicas

Ryan Adams and the Cardinals

Tift Merritt

Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit

Kasey Chambers

Patty Hurst Shifter

Kathleen Edwards

Chatham County Line

The Tripwires

Six of one, half dozen of the other. Both crap.

Can't say I was ever much on disco but I'm not so quick to dismiss rap. I'm not a fan of it either but I consider it a perfectly valid form of music (a topic of discussion that's been well gone over many, many times on this board in the past).

Can't say I was ever much on disco but I'm not so quick to dismiss rap. I'm not a fan of it either but I consider it a perfectly valid form of music (a topic of discussion that's been well gone over many, many times on this board in the past).

Well, the reason different kinds of music exist is simply because we all hear and appreciate things differently. Otherwise there would be simply Zep and nothing else.. B)

What cracks me up is watching people get into fights, cuss each other out and so on, about MUSIC. Which is a completely subjective subject! It makes no sense. When I say "disco sucks", obviously I'm simply stating my opinion, how it sounds to MY ears. Which in that case, is like shit. :lol:

With that said, I spent YEARS listening to precious little else besides Zep and Stones. Now I try to keep an open mind, which has expanded my CD collection and shrank my wallet all in one motion. For instance, I'm listening to Mark Lanegan right now. Tasty stuff.

the 90's was apretty damn good decade for music for me personally......particularly the early 90's......like a wise poster mentioned in this thread each decade has it's good and it's crap

my fave 90's albums?

Chilp Peppers-BSSM

Janes Addiction- Ritual de lo Habitual

Aice in Chains- Dirt, Facelift

U2- Acthung Baby

Peal Jam- Ten

Nine inch Nails- Downward Spral, pretty Hate Machine

Soundgarden- Badmotorfinger

smashing Pumpkins- Gish and siamese Dream

Beatie Boys- Check your Head

Radiohead- The Bends

00's? I start to lose the distinction between these decades but know for sure some of my faves

Interpol- Turn on the Bright Lights

Nine inch Nails- with Teeth

Coldplay- rush of blodd to the head

Chili Peppers- Stadium Arcadium

The Racontuers

White Stripes- elephant

I already posted here some of my fav a few days ago but forgot some. I agree the albums I bolded are excellent!!!

The 80s is one of my absolute favorite time periods in music, I'd be hard pressed to keep my favorites down to just 5 or 10.

And that may simply be because you're a bit younger than I, or were simply exposed to that era more. Or both.

But in any case, we're all entitled to our personal tastes without unfair criticism. 80's bands that I like? Here's some.

U2

The Cult (and their predecessors, Southern Death Cult (1981-1982) and Death Cult (1983)

The Alarm

Aw crap...see, told ya! I'm sure there's more though. ;)

90s.....were GREAT !!! Some off the top of my head, I'll forget about tons...

Sonic Youth -Goo

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

Nirvana - Nevermind

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

Cypress Hill - 1st

Beatnuts - 1st

RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magic

Alice in Chains - Facelift

Primus - Pork Soda

Sonic youth - Dirty

Stereo MC's - Connected

Portishead - Dummy

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball

Luscious Jackson - Natural Ingredients

Latin Playboys - debut

Sonic Youth - Experimental Jet Set, Trash and Star

King Crimson - Vrroooommm

Trey Gunn - A thousand Years

Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X

Sonic Youth - Washing Machine

Beck - Odelay

Project 4 - compilation

Sonic Youth - A thousand leaves

Los Lobos - Colossal Head

it was quick !!

What the hell is Doll Meat ? :lol:

But seriously, you don't know any of the bands I listed ? Most are easily recognizable...I think...only a couple are even 'semi-obscure'....

That only touches on the ones I could recall instantly btw....I have to dig up the 2000s..but for me, it's not as extensive as my 90s was...not yet anyway...

For me..I do have a favorite decade

60s rule !!! :thumbsup:

Ahh..someone who can appreciate the 60's AND 90's. Cheers! :beer:

Hmmmm. Dont know these bands and dont see Avril Lavigne. Prefer Doll Meat to 90s "music". the 70's rule!!!!!

How could one live on this earth and never hear of Emmylou Harris (not to mention many of the other artists mentioned in Joel's list)?

How could one live on this earth and never hear of Emmylou Harris (not to mention many of the other artists mentioned in Joel's list)?

Emmylou Harris was also quite a hottie back in the day, as well as talented. Not my musical genre, but I appreciate genuine talent (and hottie-ness) regardless.

Archived