Mariah Carey - "Daydream"

Lynch Mob - "Lynch Mob"

Nirvana - "Nevermind"

'00s:

The Black Keys - "Magic Potion"

The Black Keys - "Thickfreakness"

The Black Keys - "The Big Come Up"

:rolleyes::D

Alright alright, this is my '00s list without repeating bands/artists :rolleyes::

The Black Keys - "Magic Potion"

Alter Bridge - "One Day Remains"

Gavin DeGraw - "Chariot"

The 90's do not exist i my opinion on a musical scale. The 70s were so superior to the 90s it is a joke. The 80s arent much better but a bit better. After all, Zeppelin, Stones, Who, Floyd, Beatles, ie all the big bands were before 1980. Everything after that sucks! A bunch of want to be's. What came out in the 90s-f--cking Rap. Not music.

The origins of rap can be traced back to the 70s (even the 60s if you include the "sound system" scene in Jamaica) so if you're going to discount the entire 90s due to the existance of one musical genre you may as well include all of the decades. Just my opinion, but that's a pretty small minded way of looking at things. As for the "want to be's", that has to be some of the craziest shit I've ever read. I don't see one decade as being musically superior to another, they each have something very worthy to offer.

Some faves from the last three decades:

80s

Bob Marley and the Wailers "Uprising"

R.E.M. "Fables of the Reconstruction"

David Lindley & El Rayo-X "El Rayo-X"

90s

Gourds "Ghosts of Halleujah"

10,000 Maniacs "Our Time In Eden"

Pearl Jam "Vs."

00s

Drive-By Truckers "Southern Rock Opera"

James McMurtry "Childish Things"

Nada Surf "The Weight Is A Gift"

The 90's do not exist i my opinion on a musical scale. The 70s were so superior to the 90s it is a joke. The 80s arent much better but a bit better. After all, Zeppelin, Stones, Who, Floyd, Beatles, ie all the big bands were before 1980. Everything after that sucks! A bunch of want to be's. What came out in the 90s-f--cking Rap. Not music.

Every decade has its good and bad. The 70's had disco and a bunch of horrible AM soft rock, but it also had Zep, the Stones, The Who, etc. The 80's had a bunch of crappy one-hit wonders due to MTV, and a lot of bad synth-pop. But it also had albums like AC/DC's 'Back In Black', Guns N Roses 'Appetite For Destruction', and some great New Wave stuff like Talking Heads, great albums from The Police, Metallica, REM, etc. The 90's had gangsta rap and a lot of post-grunge clones, but you also had Radiohead, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Guns N Roses, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Metallica's 'Black Album', some good albums from Aerosmith, etc.

So you can't write off any decade, there is always crap, and always some brilliant work that comes out of any period.

Again, this is impossible.. Here's three randomly chosen from my favorite list..

90's:

The Stone Roses - Second Coming

f65553hxdrb.jpg

The Strollers - Falling Right Down!

e800008zdi2.jpg

The Black Crowes - The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion

f14796tkbgz.jpg

90s

Nirvana - in Utero

The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Pearl Jam - Even Flow

YES I WAS INTO MY GRUNGE AT ONE POINT :lol:

00s

Led Zeppelin - HTWWW

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing or In Absentia

The Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgiest

YOU CAN TELL I DON'T LIKE MUCH MODERN STUFF

90's

Da Lama ao Caos - Chico Science & Nação Zumbi

Nevermind - Nirvana

Roots - Sepultura

00's

(i'm still waiting <_< )

Not that these guys sounds like Sepultura, but you might enjoy Death Breath. It's a Swedish band who plays vintage style Death/Black Metal.

Death Breath on myspace

They have released two albums:

Stinking Up the Night (2006)

j17193bre2p.jpg

Review by Greg Prato

Vintage death metal seemed to come rocketing back from the dead — seemingly out of nowhere — circa the early 21st century, as evidenced by such releases as the 2006 debut by Death Breath, Stinking Up the Night. Although singer Nicke Andersson has been spotted most recently doing the Motor City garage rock revival thang as the frontman for the Hellacopters, you can't forget that he has unmistakable extreme metal roots, as a one-time member of both Nihilist and Entombed. And that's exactly where he pulls out his influences with Death Breath. Frantic riffing, growls, and rapid-fire riffing abound here — especially on such tracks as "Chopping Spree" and "Heading for Decapitation," while the beginning of "Coffins of the Unembalmed Dead" (how about that for a title?) is vintage Sabbath. Also stopping by this death metal fiesta are such party guests as Jörgen Knot Sandström of Grave and Scott Carlson of Repulsion. Stinking Up the Night could be mistaken for an '80s-era extreme metal album, and that was undoubtedly Andersson's goal.

..and..

Let It Stink (2007)

j17192jl30e.jpg

Review by Greg Prato

Despite their name, the sweetly-titled Death Breath made it quite clear on their 2006 debut album, Stinking Up the Night, that their sole purpose was to help breathe life into vintage death metal. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that the chaps have hit the growling and riffing textbook once more on their sophomore release, the 2007 six-track mini-album Let It Stink. Current Hellacopters and former Entombed and Nihilist frontman Nicke Anderson remains the group's master of ceremonies, and the results are as extreme as the first go-round. Comprised of four new original compositions and three covers (of tracks originally done by Bathory, G.B.H., and Discharge), Death Breath still posses a knack for coming up with colorful song titles, including the album opener, "Giving Head to the Dead." Giving their fans the most bang for their buck, the set also includes two separate videos for the album-opening track of their last album — which is an exact replica of the band's name. While not the most groundbreaking metal album to ever be hatched, fans of death metal from way back when (before it became trendy to wear death metal shirts in photo shoots) will be proud to Let It Stink.

(Reviews are from www.allmusic.com)

No, I haven't. Honestly, the only '80s band that has me curious is The Talking Heads. The Pixies were ok...

Ever checked out the Replacements?

Odd that some folks couldn't do any better for an 00s release than to pick How the West Was Won. Nothing at all the matter with that album but it consisted of vintage performances. Surely there were some studio albums by new artists that were worth mentioning. It's as though this board has reverted back to an earlier version of the original when there were so many posters stuck in the past/always in search of artists that sound something like Zeppelin.

Ever checked out the Replacements?

Odd that some folks couldn't do any better for an 00s release than to pick How the West Was Won. Nothing at all the matter with that album but it consisted of vintage performances. Surely there were some studio albums by new artists that were worth mentioning. It's as though this board has reverted back to an earlier version of the original when there were so many posters stuck in the past/always in search of artists that sound something like Zeppelin.

Yeah, I've noticed that more than a few people like the "sounds like Zeppelin" genre... I've heard of the Replacements; I'll investigate further. Thanks.

Yeah, I've noticed that more than a few people like the "sounds like Zeppelin" genre... I've heard of the Replacements; I'll investigate further. Thanks.

I suggest starting with their album Let It Be. If you like the punk-like strains of that record you might want to check out their earlier work. If you like the more pop-influenced aspects of it you'll probably like their latter day works. Myself, I'm more of a fan of everything from Let It Be on as I've never been much on punk rock.

90s

1. Ænima -- Tool

2. Ten- Pearl Jam

3. The Soft Bulletin- The Flaming Lips

00s

1. Lateralus- Tool

2. Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots- The Flaming Lips

3. Mer de Noms- A Perfect Circle

These lists may seem a little narrow, but these are just my really really favourite bands. I do like a LOT more from both decades.

Odd that some folks couldn't do any better for an 00s release than to pick How the West Was Won. Nothing at all the matter with that album but it consisted of vintage performances. Surely there were some studio albums by new artists that were worth mentioning.

Maybe for others, but we could only choose 3, and rather than make some long answer where it looked like this HTWWW/The Rising/Magic/Long Road of of Eden, I opted to go with one album from the whole group.

Maybe for others, but we could only choose 3, and rather than make some long answer where it looked like this HTWWW/The Rising/Magic/Long Road of of Eden, I opted to go with one album from the whole group.

My point being it seems like it would have made more sense to list an album from a current 00s artist rather than an album of vintage performances from a long defunct one. It's a perfectly legit to list it since it was indeed a 00s release, it just struck me as an easy way out for those that were having trouble naming more than 2 artists from the 00s. There's also the fact that this is a Zeppelin board.

My point being it seems like it would have made more sense to list an album from a current 00s artist rather than an album of vintage performances from a long defunct one. It's a perfectly legit to list it since it was indeed a 00s release, it just struck me as an easy way out for those that were having trouble naming more than 2 artists from the 00s. There's also the fact that this is a Zeppelin board.

Could I have put Springsteen's new record there? Sure, but if you asked me to choose which one I could live without, seeing as Springsteen has a live album but before this one Zeppelin didn't, I would say Springsteen. I love Magic, not as much as I love HTWWW.

And how do you know they were having trouble coming up with albums to name? What if they felt that a live album from a band that's been over for 27 years was better than albums released by current artists?

That may well be the case and if so, so be it. I was just commenting on the retro-nature of boards such as this where so many posters seem to be steeped in old music and rarely anything that new. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw today's Iron and Wine thread. Good to see not everyone chooses to hold on to the past and actually realizes there is a lot of very good music being made today.

I have to admit, I thought the same thing when I saw people listing HTWWW. It's a live album of a 1972 performance, so I don't consider it a 00's album. I took it to mean a new release by a current band in this decade. It's like if someone asked me, "what is the best album of the 90's?" I wouldn't say "the Led Zeppelin Remasters". It might be my favorite thing released in the 90's, but I wouldn't call it a 90's album per se.

Archived