Fav. 90s & 00s Albums

kidmoon

Yeah, I've got lots of bands to dig into there.. :D

I think a lot of people are put off by the "country" part of "alt.country" when in reality many of the artists that are labeled as such are actually "rock n' roll". Again, that's the trouble with labels but they're a bit of a necessary evil if you ever have to try to describe what music sounds like to people.

Yep, I bought Jayhawks' Tomorrow The Green Grass back in the day when it came out!

Other than older stuff like Gram Parsons and Lone Justice (which is now referred to as "alt.country" even though that name didn't exist back then), my first alt.country purchase was probably Son Volt's Trace. I had Uncle Tupelo's Anodyne in my collection but never paid much attention to it at the time of it's release. The one that really got my attention and sucked me into the genre (or subgenre) was Whiskeytown's Strangers Almanac, still my fave of all the latter day alt.country records I own.

I also have Tomorrow the Green Grass and Rainy Day Music by the Jayhawks. While I like both albums I found the harmonies on Green Grass to be a little too Eagles-y at times for my taste. Still, a very good record and highly recommended.

Other than older stuff like Gram Parsons and Lone Justice (which is now referred to as "alt.country" even that name didn't exist back then), my first alt.country purchase was probably Son Volt's Trace. I had Uncle Tupelo's Anodyne in my collection but never paid much attention to it at the time of it's release. The one that really got my attention and sucked me into the genre (or subgenre) was Whiskeytown's Strangers Almanac, still my fave of all the latter day alt.country records I own.

I also have Tomorrow the Green Grass and Rainy Day Music by the Jayhawks. While I like both albums I found the harmonies on Green Grass to be a little too Eagles-y at times for my taste. Still, a very good record and highly recommended.

I love Stranger's Almanac a lot too, in fact it was my first record by them. I recently got Faithless Street and I already think I prefer it. I think it's truly the record that makes him sound like "Gram Parson's heir" that I had read about frequently. It's got poorer production values than SA, but I think it's to the album's advantage. I like its grittier, more unpolished sound.

And I don't really hear the Eagles-like harmonies in that Jayhawks album. In fact, it's probably one of the reasons why I like it so much. It sounds refreshing.

I love Stranger's Almanac a lot too, in fact it was my first record by them. I recently got Faithless Street and I already think I prefer it. I think it's truly the record that makes him sound like "Gram Parson's heir" that I had read about frequently. It's got poorer production values than SA, but I think it's to the album's advantage. I like its grittier, more unpolished sound.

I love both those records (especially Empty Baseball Park which is one of the bonus cuts on Faithless Street) but probably prefer Strangers Almanac because it was my first Whiskeytown album.

I've always been a fan of the local (NC) scene but what got me re-interested were a couple of compilations on Yep Roc Records called Revival Vol. 1: Brunswick Stew and Pig Pickin' and Revival Vol. 2: Kudzu n' Hollerin' Contest. I had been reading about the alt.country scene (both local and otherwise) for a while but it was those two records that led me to search out Whiskeytown, the Backsliders, Drive-By Truckers, Trailer Bride, Six String Drag, Lou Ford and many, many more.

90's Pearl Jam Ten

Tragically Hip Road Apples

Rush Counterparts

00's Joe Bonamassa So Its Like That

Joe Bonamassa A New Day Yesterday Live

Lance Lopez Higher Ground

Zepplin was/is a blues band that rocked it hard.I now find my tastes comming back to the blues,more specifically blues rock.Tons of great artists out there flying under the mainstream radar like the 2 mentioned above. only the tip of the iceburg.

90's Pearl Jam Ten

Tragically Hip Road Apples

Rush Counterparts

00's Joe Bonamassa So Its Like That

Joe Bonamassa A New Day Yesterday Live

Lance Lopez Higher Ground

Zepplin was/is a blues band that rocked it hard.I now find my tastes comming back to the blues,more specifically blues rock.Tons of great artists out there flying under the mainstream radar like the 2 mentioned above. only the tip of the iceburg.

Be sure to check out Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit if you haven't done so already. He's the former lead guitarist for the Drive-By Truckers and fuckin' wails on guitar (slide and otherwise). He only has one album out so far (Sirens of the Ditch) but has a live EP due soon. They do mostly originals and a few of Jason's old Truckers tunes but do a few kick ass covers as well, especially Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak.

Jason Isbell's MySpace Page

812.jpg

Be sure to check out Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit if you haven't done so already. He's the former lead guitarist for the Drive-By Truckers and fuckin' wails on guitar (slide and otherwise). He only has one album out so far (Sirens of the Ditch) but has a live EP due soon. They do mostly originals and a few of Jason's old Truckers tunes but do a few kick ass covers as well, especially Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak.

Jason Isbell's MySpace Page

812.jpg

Thanks ,I will check him out,I have the Southern Rock Opera cd really like it.

Thanks ,I will check him out,I have the Southern Rock Opera cd really like it.

Jason solo is a whole other ball o' wax than he was with the Truckers but if you like some flat out rockers and tunes steeped in that "Muscle Shoals sound" you'll love Isbell's solo record. Like the Truckers, his live show is where it's at.

Hey, has anybody mentioned Beth Orton? Her Trailer Park is a 90's classic for sure! I love that album.

I don't have that album but it is where I first heard of Beth. I do have her Daybreaker album though. Highly recommended. I think that Ryan Adams fellow even provides background vocals on at least a song or two.

Ugh. If that's the sum total of the Radiohead you've heard, you don't know them for the geniuses they actually are. Pablo Honey is a 2. The Bends, while good, is a 4 or 5 compared to the 9s and 10s the rest of Radiohead's material deserves.

No, OK Computer is not the best thing they've done, it just happened to have the right blend of experimentalism and pop-rock sensibility that critics the world over felt 'safe' enough to use as their mascot for 1997.

I'll say it again, one cannot go wrong with buying a Radiohead album, unless it's Pablo Honey. :rolleyes:

Call me weird, but I rather listen to Pablo Honey than any of their recent overhyped albums.

Recently critics were falling over themselves again to praise In Rainbows to high heavens while I personally only can find about 3 worthy songs on it (not coïncidentally the 3 songs I even remember). I think they've reached a sort of high with Kid A and have been copying it ever since.

Apart from The post Zeppelin stuff released at this time which is a given, the other stuff would be...

Stone Temple Pilots...12 Gracious Melodies 1994

Muse...Absolution 2003

are 2 albums that spring to mind from the 90's and naughties !!

• 1 year later...

'90s:

Oasis - "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?"

Beck - "Odelay"

Beastie Boys - "Check Your Head"

'00s:

Dead Man - "Euphoria"

Graveyard - "Graveyard"

Woven Hand - "Consider the Birds"

Witchcraft - "The Alchemist"

Fleet Foxes - "Fleet Foxes"

Eddie Vedder - "Into the Wild (soundtrack)"

Entrance - "Prayer of Death"

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - "B.R.M.C."

This will change in days or in a couple of weeks.

• 4 months later...

'90s:

Oasis - "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?"

Beck - "Odelay"

Beastie Boys - "Check Your Head"

'00s:

Dead Man - "Euphoria"

Graveyard - "Graveyard"

Woven Hand - "Consider the Birds"

Witchcraft - "The Alchemist"

Fleet Foxes - "Fleet Foxes"

Eddie Vedder - "Into the Wild (soundtrack)"

Entrance - "Prayer of Death"

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - "B.R.M.C."

This will change in days or in a couple of weeks.

Revised:

70's:

AC/DC - Powerage

Alice Cooper - Killer

Almendra - Almendra

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

The Band - The Band

Color Humano - Vol. 3

Dug Dug's - Smog

Pappo's Blues - Vol. 3

Townes Van Zandt - Live at The Old Quarter, Houston, Texas

Blue Cheer - Blue Cheer

Deep Purple - Machine Head

El Ritual - El Ritual

Pescado Rabioso - Artaud

80's:

Trouble - Psalm 9

Roky Erickson and the Aliens - The Evil One

90's:

Colour Haze - Periscope

00's:

Dead Man - Euphoria

Graveyard - Graveyard

Witchcraft - Witchcraft

Ufomammut - Idolum

OM - Conference of the Birds

Witch - Witch

Levon Helm - Dirt Farmer

Jens Carelius - The First Songs

00's has been a good decade for music.

Two albums worth mentioning:

The Strollers - Falling Right Down (1999)

e800008zdi2.jpg

The Strollers - Captain of My Ship (2000)

e80002e1ybz.jpg

F**kin' awesome, I love that Farfisa sound! To bad I will never be able to see them again, but I am glad I cought them all the times I did.

'90s:

Oasis - Be here Now

Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

U2 - Achtung Baby

Nirvana - Nevermind

Smashing Pumkins - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness

'00s:

The Killers - Sam's Town

Oasis - Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants

Manic Street Preachers - Send Away The Tigers

Foo Fighters - In Your Honour

Stereophonics - You Gotta Go There To Come Back

Archived