Random Thoughts. The Return.

Strider

On 3/2/2023 at 12:18 AM, redrum said:

BRONSON CU.jpg

CLINT CU.jpg

Too bad they never faced off. Bronson's eyes are from "Once Upon a Time in the West". Eastwood's eyes from "The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly". It's a shame no one thought to put Paul Kersey and Dirty Harry in the same movie together.

Edited by Strider

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Too bad they never faced off. Bronson's eyes are from "Once Upon a Time in the West". Eastwood's eyes from "The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly". It's a shame no one thought to put Paul Kersey and Dirty Harry in the same movie together.

Two of the greatest westerns ever filmed although I'd give it to TGTBTU

Question,

In TGTBTU the depict the civil war in a very stark way.  Near the end when just before they cross the river we see the north retrieving dead bodies and when they cross the river the movie implies that the south left their dead to rot in the sun as evidenced by all the dead bodies they pass.

Was the south known for leaving the dead behind?

Edited by hummingbird69

6 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

Was the south known for leaving the dead behind?

Not necessarily, but it is true that Union forces tried to take better care of their Union dead, by identifying the bodies if possible, labeling their unit or state if known. Whereas Confederates often would not know individual names nor unit names or states, since so many Confederates wore homemade, homespun “butternut” uniforms without insignia as the war wore on. 

Usually long trenches were dug, remains laid in them and then covered over, with a slab of wood as a label- something like “52 confederate dead”. The slab of wood rotted, falling apart quickly. The memories of the survivors helped fill in the information gaps in subsequent years.

At Shiloh, the victorious Union troops buried Confederate dead in huge mass graves.

If there were battle dead between opposing lines, they declared “burial truces” all the time.

Historical records repeatedly recite that not only would the soldiers clean up the battlefield but, also, touching accounts of Confederate fathers, sons, and brothers reuniting with Union fathers, sons, and brothers.

Burial of battle dead was inhibited by forest fires at the May 1864, Battle of the Wilderness. The fires were still burning when everybody had to relocate to Spotsylvania. Skeletons in tattered and burned uniforms littered those woods for years afterward.

However, very rarely, usually a Union politician given a generalship, would unthinkingly leave dead bodies on the field causing outrage among his men. Union general John “The Pathfinder” Fremont left his own dead lying in buckwheat fields in the Shenandoah Valley in 1862 - completely vilifying himself among his own men.

The burial truces were thoroughly exploited for trading purposes too: usually precious Union coffee swapped for precious Rebel tobacco. Letters to friends and relatives were often swapped also.

Edited by SteveAJones

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Not necessarily, but it is true that Union forces tried to take better care of their Union dead, by identifying the bodies if possible, labeling their unit or state if known. Whereas Confederates often would not know individual names nor unit names or states, since so many Confederates wore homemade, homespun “butternut” uniforms without insignia as the war wore on. 

Usually long trenches were dug, remains laid in them and then covered over, with a slab of wood as a label- something like “52 confederate dead”. The slab of wood rotted, falling apart quickly. The memories of the survivors helped fill in the information gaps in subsequent years.

At Shiloh, the victorious Union troops buried Confederate dead in huge mass graves.

If there were battle dead between opposing lines, they declared “burial truces” all the time.

Historical records repeatedly recite that not only would the soldiers clean up the battlefield but, also, touching accounts of Confederate fathers, sons, and brothers reuniting with Union fathers, sons, and brothers.

Burial of battle dead was inhibited by forest fires at the May 1864, Battle of the Wilderness. The fires were still burning when everybody had to relocate to Spotsylvania. Skeletons in tattered and burned uniforms littered those woods for years afterward.

However, very rarely, usually a Union politician given a generalship, would unthinkingly leave dead bodies on the field causing outrage among his men. Union general John “The Pathfinder” Fremont left his own dead lying in buckwheat fields in the Shenandoah Valley in 1862 - completely vilifying himself among his own men.

The burial truces were thoroughly exploited for trading purposes too: usually precious Union coffee swapped for precious Rebel tobacco. Letters to friends and relatives were often swapped also.

Thanks Steve, this question has bothered me for years. Everything looks so authentic in the movie or I guess, its what I think looks authentic. I am glad to hear it wasn't as bad as it appears in the movie.

On 2/24/2023 at 11:17 AM, Strider said:

I'm not worthy of your approbation. I am trying to finish and post some more Zeppelin concert stuff but life has a way of interrupting. There has been a lot on my plate in the past year or two, which I don't feel comfortable sharing in public. Suffice to say, when I do a concert post it usually requires about four hours uninterrupted time, due to my slow typing speed. I just have not had that much free time lately.

Keep your spirits up and don't let the gaslighters get to you.

I certainly understand the amount of time it would take to devote to that. Really looking forward to it. Thanks for the advice and have a great weekend Sir. 

5 hours ago, Plant77 said:

It sounds good. Is there any inspiration that you have for these? It seems as if there is a sound that you have. It’s cool for sure. Hope you keep it up. 

Thanks again. 😊 20 year ago I tried to learn the classical guitar but was only able to advance so far and decided to lay it aside for a while. I still have my collection of cd's (Segovia, Bream, Williams, etc.).After a while I picked up the guitar again, only this time I went electric mainly because the nylon string started to all sound the same to me and I wanted to try some different effects. The first one of these I tried with the electric I wasn't sure how it would go or sound, but once I got the first one under my belt it kind of snowballed from there. I'm about to try the theme from 'Once Upon A Time In The West' but don't know if Freesound will let me post it due to copyright.  

16 hours ago, redrum said:

Thanks again. 😊 20 year ago I tried to learn the classical guitar but was only able to advance so far and decided to lay it aside for a while. I still have my collection of cd's (Segovia, Bream, Williams, etc.).After a while I picked up the guitar again, only this time I went electric mainly because the nylon string started to all sound the same to me and I wanted to try some different effects. The first one of these I tried with the electric I wasn't sure how it would go or sound, but once I got the first one under my belt it kind of snowballed from there. I'm about to try the theme from 'Once Upon A Time In The West' but don't know if Freesound will let me post it due to copyright.  

Well my brother, Keep it up. I know that there are a ton of platforms these days in which to put out music, I’m not sure if Freesound would allow it either. If you do try it and they allow it, make sure to post it for us. 

5 hours ago, Plant77 said:

Well my brother, Keep it up. I know that there are a ton of platforms these days in which to put out music, I’m not sure if Freesound would allow it either. If you do try it and they allow it, make sure to post it for us. 

I'll let you know. 👍 I'm currently nursing a pinched nerve in my left arm. It's a real bitch. ☹️

30 minutes ago, cryingbluerain said:

Looks like the Shaman dude was railroaded.  Prosecution withheld exculpatory evidence.

The “ Shaman dude “ was a total idiot and wasn’t railroaded into anything. I guess when fuck around you find out. 

On 3/5/2023 at 10:46 PM, redrum said:

I'll let you know. 👍 I'm currently nursing a pinched nerve in my left arm. It's a real bitch. ☹️

Damn Red. Pinched nerves are no good at all. Get well, I hope you are back in the saddle and making music soon. 

Edited by Plant77