2023 MLB Thread....

paul carruthers

I guess this is the best time to start this thread--what with the MLB Hot Stove being red hot right now & the moment America was waiting for, Aaron Judge finally made his decision. Seriously though, I had a feeling a few weeks ago that Judge may want to go home to the West Coast and the Giants--which is why no one pays me for my opinions. Of course, contracts with that much money & that many years will always raise eyebrows & fans probably saying Pujols going to Anaheim...

I guess the thing I would focus on is my Mets & signing Verlander. Of course, that will mean next year, our #1 ace will be 40 years old & his 1A, perhaps, Scherzer is no spring chicken. I know Justin is coming off a remarkable Cy Young year, but at that age & maybe at best, getting 3 more seasons from him--I admit, I'm a bit skeptical. And after last season--and so many years of heartache--I think I've finally learned my lesson about getting to hype about anything the Mets do, or any October expectations.

Anyway, feel free to drop in with comments on the new MLB thread...  :)

9 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I guess this is the best time to start this thread--what with the MLB Hot Stove being red hot right now & the moment America was waiting for, Aaron Judge finally made his decision. Seriously though, I had a feeling a few weeks ago that Judge may want to go home to the West Coast and the Giants--which is why no one pays me for my opinions. Of course, contracts with that much money & that many years will always raise eyebrows & fans probably saying Pujols going to Anaheim...

I guess the thing I would focus on is my Mets & signing Verlander. Of course, that will mean next year, our #1 ace will be 40 years old & his 1A, perhaps, Scherzer is no spring chicken. I know Justin is coming off a remarkable Cy Young year, but at that age & maybe at best, getting 3 more seasons from him--I admit, I'm a bit skeptical. And after last season--and so many years of heartache--I think I've finally learned my lesson about getting to hype about anything the Mets do, or any October expectations.

Baseball two weeks before Xmas.  OK.  Anyway, don't forget Gaylord Perry.  I think he was 43 when he had his best year?  I am hoping my Orioles keep the guys they need, hoping Means comes back from Tommy John OK an then we can be in the race in the East.  I believe it.  This Orioles team is pretty good.  Can't overlook the Dodgers who will be out for blood.  

18 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

In the long run, I think the Yankees will get more value from Aaron Judge than the Phillies will from Trea Turner.

55 minutes ago, Strider said:

In the long run, I think the Yankees will get more value from Aaron Judge than the Phillies will from Trea Turner.

I'm sure they will, especially in the power department. Even if he doesn't smash 60 again, I'm sure the Yanks and Judge himself might be shooting for 40 or more while he still has his prime years ahead of him.

Whether or not that means any rings for the Yankees in the near future is something else entirely...

On 12/8/2022 at 2:51 PM, ebk said:

Bought my opening day tickets today...yay?

Hey Esther.  I just learned our Orioles got this Frazier from Seattle.  Paying him $8 million for one year?  But they also got got some third baseman?  Not sure from where. About to research it?  Do you have any early opinions on these moves?  I am wondering if Holiday will make the big club in his first year or have to start in Norfolk or Bowie?  You know, the number one pick we landed?  Hope all is well.  Heavy snow ️ coming here and I hear Baltimore is getting hit?

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Hey Esther.  I just learned our Orioles got this Frazier from Seattle.  Paying him $8 million for one year?  But they also got got some third baseman?  Not sure from where. About to research it?  Do you have any early opinions on these moves?  I am wondering if Holiday will make the big club in his first year or have to start in Norfolk or Bowie?  You know, the number one pick we landed?  Hope all is well.  Heavy snow ️ coming here and I hear Baltimore is getting hit?

Dan Connolly of The Athletic seems to like the news guys just fine.  I really don't know much about them (I tend to not pay too much attention in the off-season...okay, even in the on-season :) ).  I'd venture to say the top pick in the draft will spend at least a year in the minors - I don't think we need to rush him up.  But, we'll see. 

Rained hard all day here, but no snow, thank goodness!

11 hours ago, ebk said:

Dan Connolly of The Athletic seems to like the news guys just fine.  I really don't know much about them (I tend to not pay too much attention in the off-season...okay, even in the on-season :) ).  I'd venture to say the top pick in the draft will spend at least a year in the minors - I don't think we need to rush him up.  But, we'll see. 

Rained hard all day here, but no snow, thank goodness!

I must have got bad info.  I heard the storm had hit Baltimore? Maybe today?  PA got hit good We are getting snow now as usual.  I really believe we are contenders this year  I want Holiday in the bigs this season.  Being in a small market after seeing Machado walk, I fear the greedy teams will try and steal Mountcastle or Raushman.  Can’t have that happen.  If Means returns his beastly self I like our staff.  We can be right in this race.  

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

11 hours ago, Strider said:

The Padres are wheeling and dealing. As it stands now, their pitching looks stronger than the Dodgers.

https://theathletic.com/4018654/2022/12/19/seth-lugo-padres-contract-free-agency/

We know the Dodgers will be there at the end.  Likey both of them make it in. I am hoping my O's win the East!!! But Id take a WC

9 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

We know the Dodgers will be there at the end.  Likey both of them make it in. I am hoping my O's win the East!!! But Id take a WC

I'm not so sure about the Dodgers. PC's Mets and redrum's Giants look to be better than the Dodgers at the moment. Then, there are still the Phillies, Cardinals and Braves to worry about in the National League.

Edited by Strider

21 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

Apparently, with the balanced schedule this coming season, there will be more interleague games played. I suppose I'm cool with that...

I'm not, but what am I gonna do - not watch?  I don't think so.

11 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Apparently, with the balanced schedule this coming season, there will be more interleague games played. I suppose I'm cool with that...

I am not. It is a stupid idea that takes away games from division and league rivals.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2022 at 4:57 PM, ebk said:

I'm not, but what am I gonna do - not watch?  I don't think so.

What is he talking about balanced schedule?  Is it not the same as always?  So many vs division teams and such?  And why did our team pick up this guy from KC?  He is not worth a million dollars a season according to the stats I saw?  We actually have a shot this year. I hope they are going all in for once?

^^ The balanced schedule basically means less division play, for instance, your Orioles will only play the Yankees 12 or 13 times. Basically, there will be more interleague play & I assume more games with opponents from the other divisions. I haven't seen the scedules yet, but I assume there will be more series with the Mets playing the Dodgers, for example...

On 1/4/2023 at 2:40 PM, paul carruthers said:

^^ The balanced schedule basically means less division play, for instance, your Orioles will only play the Yankees 12 or 13 times. Basically, there will be more interleague play & I assume more games with opponents from the other divisions. I haven't seen the scedules yet, but I assume there will be more series with the Mets playing the Dodgers, for example...

I tried to look schedule up yesterday or day before but not available yet. Not sure its been drawn up yet?  I wonder if this means lets say my Orioles will play more than one division  vs the National league?   Thing is, the NBA I notice has done some double scheduling to cut down travel costs Im sure. So they had lets say for example, Dallas at Portland, and they kept the Mavericks in town to play a 2nd game.  Less flying.  Less money.  Smart. Of course this may not apply to baseball as they play 3-4 games series and if the Mets went to LA, its likely the only trip they would make all year there.  I have not seen the NHL do it this year.

6 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I tried to look schedule up yesterday or day before but not available yet. Not sure its been drawn up yet?  I wonder if this means lets say my Orioles will play more than one division  vs the National league?   Thing is, the NBA I notice has done some double scheduling to cut down travel costs Im sure. So they had lets say for example, Dallas at Portland, and they kept the Mavericks in town to play a 2nd game.  Less flying.  Less money.  Smart. Of course this may not apply to baseball as they play 3-4 games series and if the Mets went to LA, its likely the only trip they would make all year there.  I have not seen the NHL do it this year.

Schedule is available before the end of the season.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/schedule/2023-03

Just picked up tickets for the Yankees vs Cardinals preseason game in Tampa. First game since 2019, we hope. 
Had Tigers/Yankees tickets St Patrick’s Day in 2020 - COVID canceled 
Had Braves/Yankees tickets last year - hold out canceled