2023 MLB Thread....

paul carruthers

14 hours ago, Strider said:

It is more about that I don't want to spend my summer doing math. 

Actually there is no work until the season ends.  Its not like your grading day to day or week to week like in football.  Its only the division winners and wild cards.  Then maybe the playoffs.  Think it over pal. We have about a month.

I may be looking into getting box seats behind the Orioles dugout for June 21 or 22 when the  Orioles visit Tampa.  Might hit Clearwater which I have never been to.  Only that and the Keys are lacking from my many visits to Florida. My cousins in Sunrise have passed away sadly.  There kids are around but I was much closer to them.  

So does anyone here ever go to Tampa Rays games?  I want to be in shouting distance of the Orioles dugout. Unlike my botched purchase in San Fransisco where I wound up behind the stinking Giants dugout.

11 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Actually there is no work until the season ends.  Its not like your grading day to day or week to week like in football.  Its only the division winners and wild cards.  Then maybe the playoffs.  Think it over pal. We have about a month.

I may be looking into getting box seats behind the Orioles dugout for June 21 or 22 when the  Orioles visit Tampa.  Might hit Clearwater which I have never been to.  Only that and the Keys are lacking from my many visits to Florida. My cousins in Sunrise have passed away sadly.  There kids are around but I was much closer to them.  

So does anyone here ever go to Tampa Rays games?  I want to be in shouting distance of the Orioles dugout. Unlike my botched purchase in San Fransisco where I wound up behind the stinking Giants dugout.

Clearwater is a beach.  If you've been to a beach, it's nothing special.  

The visitors dugout is on the 3rd base side.  Right now, it looks like there are plenty of seats available starting about 5 rows back.  They're $100 each.  That's for the evening game.  I didn't look at the matinee game.  Probably more tickets available for that one.  It's an okay stadium,, as indoor stadiums go. 

We sat upstairs when we went and it was fine.  Honestly, it's usually so empty that the team could hear you yell at them from wherever you sit.  

Go to Berns in Tampa to have dinner.  

11 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Why don’t you do it then? 

I’ve never been to a Rays game down in St Pete. Nobody goes, so you shouldn’t have a problem being heard. 

32 minutes ago, ebk said:

The visitors dugout is on the 3rd base side.  Right now, it looks like there are plenty of seats available starting about 5 rows back.  They're $100 each.  That's for the evening game.  I didn't look at the matinee game.  Probably more tickets available for that one.  It's an okay stadium,, as indoor stadiums go. 

We sat upstairs when we went and it was fine.  Honestly, it's usually so empty that the team could hear you yell at them from wherever you sit.  

:yesnod: 🤘🏼

5 minutes ago, Walter said:

Just picked up 3 tix to the Yankees/Tigers game on St Patty’s Day at Lakeland. We tried in 2020 but COVID shut us down just before…then we had tix last year but the lockout fucked us….I want green beer!! :lol: 

That's a nice ballpark (at least as far as I can remember :D ).  Have fun!  And drink lots of green beer!!!

8 hours ago, ebk said:

Thanks for he info Esther. and lets hope that this is our year.  At least to make playoffs.  I believe.   They had pulled a surprise on me in SF.  The visitors dugout was on the first base side.  I did not know interleague worked that way

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

FYI:

Home dugout positions in every team's ballpark.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Baltimore Orioles: first base side

Boston Red Sox: first base side

Chicago White Sox: third base side

Cleveland Indians: third base side

Detroit Tigers: third base side

Houston Astros: first base side

Kansas City Royals: first base side

Los Angeles Angels: third base side

Minnesota Twins: first base side

New York Yankees: first base side

Oakland As: third base side

Seattle Mariners: first base side

Tampa Bay Rays: first base side

Texas Rangers: first base side

Toronto Blue Jays: third base side

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Arizona Diamondbacks: third base side

Atlanta Braves: first base side

Chicago Cubs: third base side

Cincinnati Reds: first base side

Colorado Rockies: first base side

Los Angeles Dodgers: third base side

Miami Marlins: third base side

Milwaukee Brewers: first base side

New York Mets: first base side

Philadelphia Phillies: first base side

Pittsburgh Pirates: third base side

Saint Louis Cardinals: first base side

San Diego Padres: first base side

San Francisco Giants: third base side

Washington Nationals: first base side

2 hours ago, Strider said:

FYI:

Home dugout positions in every team's ballpark.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Baltimore Orioles: first base side

Boston Red Sox: first base side

Chicago White Sox: third base side

Cleveland Indians: third base side

Detroit Tigers: third base side

Houston Astros: first base side

Kansas City Royals: first base side

Los Angeles Angels: third base side

Minnesota Twins: first base side

New York Yankees: first base side

Oakland As: third base side

Seattle Mariners: first base side

Tampa Bay Rays: first base side

Texas Rangers: first base side

Toronto Blue Jays: third base side

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Arizona Diamondbacks: third base side

Atlanta Braves: first base side

Chicago Cubs: third base side

Cincinnati Reds: first base side

Colorado Rockies: first base side

Los Angeles Dodgers: third base side

Miami Marlins: third base side

Milwaukee Brewers: first base side

New York Mets: first base side

Philadelphia Phillies: first base side

Pittsburgh Pirates: third base side

Saint Louis Cardinals: first base side

San Diego Padres: first base side

San Francisco Giants: third base side

Washington Nationals: first base side

Very helpful. 

My criteria for choosing where to sit is where will I be out of the sun.  And that's always from behind home plate down the third base side.  So look for me there. 

I hope I can explain this right. The new rule is, pitchers have 15 seconds to throw a pitch with no one on base, 20 seconds with runners on. I'm still not clear on the penalty if the pitchers don't beat the clock.

I think he's charged a ball. And the batters have to get in the box and swing in the same amount of time....

1 hour ago, paul carruthers said:

9I hope I can explain this right. The new rule is, pitchers have 15 seconds to throw a pitch with no one on base, 20 seconds with runners on. I'm still not clear on the penalty if the pitchers don't beat the clock.

I think he's charged a ball. And the batters have to get in the box and swing in the same amount of time....

Hello, everyone.  Just as baseball is back, so am I.  

You are correct.  The pitcher is charged with a ball.  Same with the batters if they are not ready within the same time frame.  They are charged with a strike.  In one of the first spring training games, Red Sox/Braves, the game ended on a charged 3rd strike.  Bases loaded, bottom of the 9th and the batter was called out for this reason.  Game over.  Tie game. 

I caught the last couple of innings of the Cardinals/Mets game yesterday and the game was 2 hours and 59 minutes.  The announcers said that the game was just under 3 hours but both teams managed a combined total of 25 hits and 19 runs total.  The Cardinals won.  12-7.  

I realize these spring training games do not count and all players and teams get a chance to get used to this new rule, however, I predict some chaos, confusion and downright hostility when the regular season begins.  Especially down the line when it comes to the Post-season.  

Rick, your man Machado made MLB history the other day by becoming the first player to be charged with a strike.  He said something to the effect that he might be charged with a lot of strikes when the season begins.  (As will probably hundreds of other players).

Good Luck to everyone and their teams this season.  

GO SAINT LOUIS CARDINALS!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Great day at Steinbrenner Field this week. Cards won 4-0, but watched Garrett Cole mow down 7 in 3.1 innings. Here’s a few pics, including kingzoso’s wet dream, 21-year-old stud Jordan Walker. He looked great and so did 20-year-old Masyn Winn at SS for the Cards. 

FE54E9E4-DF31-4475-913C-31EC13E2A2DE.jpeg

712777EA-5A86-4432-8A19-E36FCE53499C.jpeg

E1706B23-759E-4EF2-B1AC-F35424B12C6C.jpeg

31CB1CAC-4D6D-4636-8DBB-588B953A8595.jpeg

14 hours ago, Walter said:

Great day at Steinbrenner Field this week. Cards won 4-0, but watched Garrett Cole mow down 7 in 3.1 innings. Here’s a few pics, including kingzoso’s wet dream, 21-year-old stud Jordan Walker. He looked great and so did 20-year-old Masyn Winn at SS for the Cards. 

FE54E9E4-DF31-4475-913C-31EC13E2A2DE.jpeg

712777EA-5A86-4432-8A19-E36FCE53499C.jpeg

E1706B23-759E-4EF2-B1AC-F35424B12C6C.jpeg

31CB1CAC-4D6D-4636-8DBB-588B953A8595.jpeg

Nice pics Walter.  Well the Dodgers and Astros are the favorites.  Boston is playing pre season like its very meaningful.  I am hoping my O's take own the  East.  I think we will be very competitive.  Even though Means cant pitch until July off Tommy John.  I am hoping that he comes back sooner. But the rest of the rotation is not bad.  I know the Yankees are the favorites.  Do we have to worry about Boston again?  Toronto is actually favored in some places.  And Tampa is in the mix.  I am hoping my Birds are too.  They have some talent.  Not sure if Holiday makes the big club this year or not?  

Just looked at Orioles schedule.  First 7 on road, open with 3 in Boston.  Home opener vs Yankees.  
Bonger, should you see this, we play your Tigers 7 times by end of April.  So maybe that’s it?  I doubt we see them again but checking. Yea, finished with Detroit April 30.  Schedule is brutal and then some.  Home series with Dodgers, Mets, Cardinals and road with Phillies, Padres.  Also play Brewers, Reds, Giants., Pirates.  Tons of inter league!!!!  

Edited by LedZeppfan1977